shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab ruby advice

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Morning all,

Spotted this stone from a vendor I have bought from before but this will be potentially my first foray into 'lab grown gems'.
It is an 11x11mm lab ruby, precision cut of swiss origin. It has a few veil inclusions and is reduced in price. I think it's a beauty but would really appreciate some feedback! Ta x

il_794xN.2258088054_pmhs.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about lab stones but just wanted to comment this is such a pretty color and shape. And nice size too.:love: I like it!

What would you do with it?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I know right. I think the veil inclusion may make it look more natural but wanted some opinions. Precision cuts are usually out of my budget.
The vendor has a good returns policy. :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know right. I think the veil inclusion may make it look more natural but wanted some opinions. Precision cuts are usually out of my budget.
The vendor has a good returns policy. :mrgreen2:

I think there's your answer...return policy and well it is so pretty. Hoping the colored gem experts weigh in...

what are your plans with this stone if you purchase it?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure. It's a OMG spur of the moment thing! Plus I have been drooling over other people's precision cut lab stones! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure. It's a OMG spur of the moment thing! Plus I have been drooling over other people's precision cut lab stones! :lol:

I think this would look gorgeous either as a pendant or in a bangle bracelet or as a ring...which would you wear most if any of these choices?

Or you could just get it and admire it and enjoy it as is til you decide what you want to do with it if anything.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is a pretty stone for its colour, shape and cutting, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

I have a couple of lab created rubies of my own (unset), and love them as they are very affordable, compared with the natural heated rubies that I have, in that they have better colour and less inclusions.

DK :))

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much @missy and @dk168. Well I've bought it! I think i will see how I feel about it and if I keep it, live with it for a bit.

I have asked for some more info as to it's Swiss origins and the cut as it's super pretty!
It was £60 in a sale! Always one for a bargain :roll: but I can return it if it's a disaster!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
This is the email I just received from the vendor:

"Of course, the rough crystal was created in Switzerland, it is a pulled boule of lab created ruby. They make it by attaching a small natural ruby in to a small furnace with all the mineral ingredients natural ruby is composed of. Its then left to heat for some time until the crystal grows in to a larger boule hence it is chemically and minerally identical to natural ruby, and due to the chromium content it will fluoresce under UV light as all ruby does.

I cut this gem myself at home in London whilst in isolation.
I hope that helps"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is a pretty stone for its colour, shape and cutting, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

I have a couple of lab created rubies of my own (unset), and love them as they are very affordable, compared with the natural heated rubies that I have, in that they have better colour and less inclusions.

DK :))

YAY!!!!!

jumpingforjoy.gif

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty to me! I hope we can see if you buy it!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow Yep I've bought it. :mrgreen2: Will upload photos for honest feedback and maybe some inspiration as to what to do with it! :think:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow Yep I've bought it. :mrgreen2: Will upload photos for honest feedback and maybe some inspiration as to what to do with it! :think:

Oh goody! I'm so excited for you! I have a lab ruby myself I am waiting God knows how long to have to set so I'm super curious how you set yours. If you do decide to keep it that is xD

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow Ooooh can I see a picture of your lab ruby pretty please! :mrgreen2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
60 GBP for such a large and pretty stone is a bargain in my book too!

DK :kiss2:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow Wow your stone is gorgeous! I could see it in a very unique east west set ring! :kiss2:
@dk168 Thanks lovely, couldn't really pass up on the opportunity!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@Niffler75 Its super pretty IRL. Much prettier than my picture can show. I have somewhat an idea of how I want to set it. It's just having the money. I'm hoping to be selfish around my birthday and maybe get it set then. My conundrum is whether I have the prongs and parts of the setting black rhodiumed or if it would be too harsh looking. Questions for my jeweller at the time of setting I guess XD

I am so looking forward to hearing if you like your stone. I really hope you do :D

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, this is lovely! I'd love to know where you bought it now that you've finished the transaction and there's no risk of anybody pinching it out from under you!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Ladygrey Sure, I got it from Clearwater Gems UK (on Etsy and Ebay). I have bought from them before and they are one of a handful of vendors in the UK that dabble in unusual coloured stones! :mrgreen2:
They seem to have consistently excellent reviews and the vendor has been brilliant and communicated well with me!

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
@Ladygrey Sure, I got it from Clearwater Gems UK (on Etsy and Ebay). I have bought from them before and they are one of a handful of vendors in the UK that dabble in unusual coloured stones! :mrgreen2:
They seem to have consistently excellent reviews and the vendor has been brilliant and communicated well with me!

Thanks, niffler! In the UK here too and always keen for another interesting UK source..... Off to have a look, thank you so much!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've also bought a few stones from Clearwater Gems UK, always a good experience.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Gloria27 Thanks! Glad you had a positive experience! :mrgreen2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh I LOVE the stone! so pretty and a really nice color. Happy you bought it!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliant! I love it.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@CSpan and @lovedogs Thank you so much! As I said it's my first foray into lab stones and also my first precision cut so I am looking forward to it! :mrgreen2:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous! Such a rich, vibrant color, love it!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
OK it's arrived! I couldn't believe the colour when I opened the box! :dance: Suffice to say I am very happy and would really appreciate my fellow PS'ers thoughts. I am seeing a touch of purple also which I am happy with. It's very glowy. Would also welcome some inspiration ring wise as to what to do with her!
Inside pic first on my terrible phone!

20200422_140811.jpg

Then outside....
20200422_142449.jpg 20200422_142353.jpg 20200422_142004.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results