shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Grown Oval Diamond Setting Question

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been reading through posts, but don't see that anyone else has encountered this exact problem.

I bought this diamond from JA, I'm happy with the diamond, but before the diamomd was mounted, I thought it looked white, now that it is in a setting with melee, I feel like the diamond looks faint blue in some lighting situations compared to the side melee stones which appear more yellow/warm. I'm hoping the PC community can help me decifer if the blue I'm seeing is just a function of the oval and the bigger facets reflecting light differently than the melee, OR is this undisclosed blue nuance I'm seeing in the oval (from boron), or is it that the melee are poor color/cut? From what I've read, usually ppl have the opposite problem and complain the melee look too white.

For the record, the appraisal says the melee are good/very good cut and E/F color. Additional question, is it possible the appraisal is inaccurate? Or are appraisals typically solid in terms of assessing cut/color/clarity?

Thanks!
Screenshot_20210224-105846_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-105805_Samsung Internet.jpg 20210211_162525.jpg 20210224_100349.jpg 20210224_103102.jpg 1.62-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-10007451

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Hi OP

Is your diamond HPHT or CVD? Sorry it’s hard to tell from the writing on the lab report. To my eyes all the diamonds look very white and absolutely lovely in the photos on your hand, but photos always only tell half the story of what you see in real life. I ask about HPHT because that’s usually where the blue nuance (as you mention a tinge of blue color is present due to excess boron in the diamond after the growing process) might be more visible. I have a CVD oval in a lower colour grade and can see the warmth/yellow instead (which I do not mind). Afraid I am of no help on the melee as I’ve not purchased from JA before. If it really bothers you, are you still in the return window period? It may be worth asking about changing out the melee if you are happy with the oval diamond. I always feel if it bothers you initially it might always play on your mind. On the other hand I think the ring is gorgeous and I hope it brings you lots of joy if you decide to keep it as is.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From looking at the JA page you posted it looks to have a blue tint (not that we should be determining color from a screenshot...we
shouldn't). I have looked at a lot of JA stones and it does look blueish to me.

The other issue as you have pointed out is that melee do show color different from bigger stones. They tend to be brighter and do not
show as much color as equivalent colored bigger stones. The small pears will also reflect light/color differently than the small rounds.

That being said, I think the oval looks lovely on your finger.

Your options if the color difference bothers you (and you are still within the return window)
- pick out a different oval
- go for a solitaire setting (no melee)

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Hi OP

Is your diamond HPHT or CVD? Sorry it’s hard to tell from the writing on the lab report. To my eyes all the diamonds look very white and absolutely lovely in the photos on your hand, but photos always only tell half the story of what you see in real life. I ask about HPHT because that’s usually where the blue nuance (as you mention a tinge of blue color is present due to excess boron in the diamond after the growing process) might be more visible. I have a CVD oval in a lower colour grade and can see the warmth/yellow instead (which I do not mind). Afraid I am of no help on the melee as I’ve not purchased from JA before. If it really bothers you, are you still in the return window period? It may be worth asking about changing out the melee if you are happy with the oval diamond. I always feel if it bothers you initially it might always play on your mind. On the other hand I think the ring is gorgeous and I hope it brings you lots of joy if you decide to keep it as is.

Hi @DiamondLizzy, thanks for the reply and compliments on the ring :)

I realize now I left out some important details. I bought the diamond from JA but had the ring set at a local jeweller because I didn't want to deal with shipping etc. in a pandemic. The jeweller asked what my preference was for melee (lab or earth mined) and I asked if it would make a difference and she replied it didn't, so the melee are actually earth mined. Now, I'm wondering if I should have done more research about the melee before making that decision, however if the oval does indeed have blue nuance then I don't think it will really matter if they change them out to lab mined unless the lab mined also have blue nuance to them.

The report didn't say if it was HPHT or CVD, but I suspect it's HPHT because when I brought it into the jeweller, she commented that she thought it was a D color because it looked really white (before the diamond was set, and now if I cover the melee with my fingers, it is really white and crisp looking), and it sounds like CVD are generally on the warmer side.

I do really like the ring, more and more each day actually. The more I wear it around the house and to run errands etc., the less and less I do notice the color difference (unless I'm in Shoppers Drug Mart where it's more obvious to me!!), but I can't help and try to get to the bottom of why I'm seeing what I'm seeing.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

aisa901

Rough_Rock
From looking at the JA page you posted it looks to have a blue tint (not that we should be determining color from a screenshot...we
shouldn't). I have looked at a lot of JA stones and it does look blueish to me.

The other issue as you have pointed out is that melee do show color different from bigger stones. They tend to be brighter and do not
show as much color as equivalent colored bigger stones. The small pears will also reflect light/color differently than the small rounds.

That being said, I think the oval looks lovely on your finger.

Your options if the color difference bothers you (and you are still within the return window)
- pick out a different oval
- go for a solitaire setting (no melee)

Thanks @tyty333,

I agree about the blue tint in the JA images, I also noticed the blue tint before ordering, but my mac always has a blue tint to it so I figured it was just that, and then when I received it and put it against white paper, I didn't notice any obvious tint so went ahead with getting it set (at a local jeweller, not JA). Could it be that when I'm seeing blue it's because of how the oval is reacting to the environment? For example, on bright sunny days I see more blue, today it was overcast and cloudy outside, and it looked white?

As for the melee, you said they tend to be brighter, so shouldn't I be seeing blue and white, not blue and yellow if this is the case? I'm trying to understand why they appear so warm when everyone is saying they should be bright/white. Maybe they are poor color/cut, or maybe they appear warm compared to the cool blue of the oval and on their own they would be bright and white?

Thanks for the options, I'm definitely not in the return window for JA, could probably have the jeweller reset it as a solitaire and still something I'm considering, but want to try and understand what is going on with my ring first before taking any drastic steps since I do really like the setting when I'm not hyper focused on the colors.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh! That last photo is really showing off the blue nuance but it's otherwise a lovely stone. Not really a problem overall other than making the melee look warm. I think it will be pretty tricky finding melee stones with blue nuance (or has it noticeable enough at that size) so if it's not something that bothers you, I'd enjoy it as it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results