shape
carat
color
clarity

LA Foodies - help please! And possible PS GTG?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

I'm going to be in Santa Monica from October 15th - 18th, and I need some of your expert guidance! My husband and I are going on this trip to see friends and celebrate my birthday, and I'm looking for restaurant experiences. Only caveat - I'd like to use this opportunity to go to a Michelin starred restaurant or two.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
9.gif

I found a complete list of all Michelin starred LA restaurants - is this current?

The full list of LA Michelin Star Restaurants below:

One Star (*):

Asanebo, Studio City
CUT, Beverly Hills
Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, Huntington (The), Pasadena
Joe’s, Venice
La Botte, Santa Monica
Matsuhisa, Beverly Hills
Mori Sushi, Los Angeles
Ortolan, Hollywood
Patina, Los Angeles
Providence, Hollywood
Saddle Peak Lodge, Calabasas
Sona, Hollywood
Trattoria Tre Venezie, Pasadena
Valentino, Santa Monica
Water Grill, Los Angeles

Two Stars (**)

Melisse, Santa Monica
Spago, Beverly Hills
Urasawa, Beverly Hills

Also, anyone want to meet at 23rd Street Jewelers on Saturday?
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the 2008 list, as Providence definitely has two stars, and there are many more starred restaurants.

Asanebo Ventura Boulevard
Bastide Hollywood They're closed.
CUT Beverly Hills
Dining Room at the Langham Pasadena
Gordon Ramsay at the London Hollywood
Hatfield's Hollywood
Also closed.
La Botte Santa Monica Bay
Mori Sushi Westside
Ortolan Hollywood
Osteria Mozza Hollywood
Patina Greater Downtown
Sona Hollywood
Sushi Zo Los Angeles
Trattoria Tre Venezie
Valentino Santa Monica Bay
Water Grill Greater Downtown

Mélisse Santa Monica Bay
Providence Hollywood
Spago Beverly Hills
Urasawa Beverly Hills

And from the 2008 list, Matsuhisa, Joe's, and Saddle Peak Lodge are very good.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 2:12:04 PM
Author:LaurenThePartier

Hi all!

I'm going to be in Santa Monica from October 15th - 18th, and I need some of your expert guidance! My husband and I are going on this trip to see friends and celebrate my birthday, and I'm looking for restaurant experiences. Only caveat - I'd like to use this opportunity to go to a Michelin starred restaurant or two.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
9.gif

I found a complete list of all Michelin starred LA restaurants - is this current?

The full list of LA Michelin Star Restaurants below:

One Star (*):

Asanebo, Studio City
CUT, Beverly Hills
Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, Huntington (The), Pasadena
Joe’s, Venice
La Botte, Santa Monica
Matsuhisa, Beverly Hills
Mori Sushi, Los Angeles
Ortolan, Hollywood
Patina, Los Angeles
Providence, Hollywood
Saddle Peak Lodge, Calabasas
Sona, Hollywood
Trattoria Tre Venezie, Pasadena
Valentino, Santa Monica
Water Grill, Los Angeles

Two Stars (**)

Melisse, Santa Monica
Spago, Beverly Hills
Urasawa, Beverly Hills

Also, anyone want to meet at 23rd Street Jewelers on Saturday?
1.gif

I've heard great things about Matsuhisa. I believe Saddle Peak Lodge is open to the public only on certain days of the week (at least, it used to be), so you might want to call ahead. They have crazy meats. I wasn't a fan but if you're into meat, you might want to try it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 4:49:16 PM
Author: JulieN
That is the 2008 list, as Providence definitely has two stars, and there are many more starred restaurants.

Thanks, Julie I was hoping you''d show up. . . I was looking for the 2009 list, and just found this on Open Table.

Congratulations to the following restaurants which were awarded Michelin stars in the MICHELIN guide for Los Angeles 2009. Book a table at these outstanding restaurants now!

Melisse Two Stars Santa Monica French $$$$ Reserve Now
Providence Two Stars Hollywood American $$$$ Reserve Now
Spago - Beverly Hills Two Stars Beverly Hills Californian $$$$ Reserve Now

CUT by Wolfgang Puck at The Beverly Wilshire One Star Beverly Hills Steak $$$$ Reserve Now
The Dining Room at The Langham, Pasadena One Star Pasadena Contemporary American $$$$ Reserve Now
Gordon Ramsay at The London One Star West Hollywood French $$$$ Reserve Now
Joe''s Restaurant One Star Venice Californian $$$ Reserve Now
La Botte One Star Santa Monica Italian $$$ Reserve Now
Ortolan One Star West Hollywood Contemporary French $$$$ Reserve Now
Osteria Mozza One Star Hollywood Italian $$$$ Reserve Now
Patina One Star Downtown Contemporary French $$$$ Reserve Now
Sona One Star West Hollywood Californian $$$ Reserve Now
Valentino - LA One Star Santa Monica Italian $$$ Reserve Now
Water Grill One Star Downtown American $$$ Reserve Now

Have you been to any of those restaurants, and would you recommend any?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops, Julie! I didn''t realize you had edited - thank you!

Brightlight - I do like my meat.
9.gif

Since I''m 2 for 2 on Saddle Peak, and Matsuhisa, that helps narrow it down! Thank you ladies!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not Julie, but I've been to Osteria Mozza and it's A. MA. ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pizzeria part is really good too!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:08:17 PM
Author: jjc
I''m not Julie, but I''ve been to Osteria Mozza and it''s A. MA. ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, JJC! What did you have when you went?

I haven''t ever been to a Michelin starred restaurant, so we''re open to going to 2 or more while we''re there.
3.gif
I don''t get out of Dallas much anymore. . .
2.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Another place you might want to try is 360. It's not on your list, but it's got a panoramic view of the city and the food is great.

ETA: It's currently closed.
8.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:14:49 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 9/21/2009 5:08:17 PM

Author: jjc

I''m not Julie, but I''ve been to Osteria Mozza and it''s A. MA. ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, JJC! What did you have when you went?

I haven''t ever been to a Michelin starred restaurant, so we''re open to going to 2 or more while we''re there.
3.gif
I don''t get out of Dallas much anymore. . .
2.gif
O man, we had so much stuff, but here are a few stand-outs from the osteria (I''m sure almost everything on the menu is delish though - people are always raving while standing outside waiting for their cars):
- From the mozzarella bar: Burrata with bacon, marinated escarole & caramelized shallots
- Tortellini e brodo
- Gnocchi with wild boar ragu
- Grilled Quail wrapped in pancetta with sage & honey
- Pan Roasted Pork Loin fennel & olives with sambuca

From the pizzeria:
- Fried squash blossoms with ricotta
- Shrimp, melon, chile & mint
- Pizza:
Ipswich clams, garlic, oregano, pecorino & parmigiano
Coach farm goat cheese, leeks, scallions & bacon
- Dessert was phenomenal!! (although my fave dessert in LA will always be from Campanile)
Butterscotch budino
Caramel coppetta with marshmallow sauce & Spanish salted peanuts

Hope this helps!!
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friends like Sona OK. I would vote for Osteria Mozza...great reviews and I have been dying to go but never get out that way much.

Gordon Ramsay isn''t that hard to get reservations at - I had one, and honestly can''t remember if I ate there - I assume not since I think I''d remember. This was only a few months ago too. My memory is failing me.
40.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lauren, just one other thing. Since you're staying in Santa Monica, you should check out Stefan from Top Chef's new restaurant (Stefan's at L.A. Farm). Obviously it's not Michelin starred, but it's worth a visit if it's just up the street (I live about ten minutes away and have been twice in the past month
1.gif
). The oysters are delicious, the risotto is TDF, and the small plates menu lets you try lots of stuff!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:38:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal
My friends like Sona OK. I would vote for Osteria Mozza...great reviews and I have been dying to go but never get out that way much.

Gordon Ramsay isn''t that hard to get reservations at - I had one, and honestly can''t remember if I ate there - I assume not since I think I''d remember. This was only a few months ago too. My memory is failing me.
40.gif
Do you have pregnancy brain? Are you preggo again?
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome - thanks so much for the help!

JJC - I think I may have to plan another trip back to go to both sides of Osteria Mozza. That menu sounds/looks delicious, and I have been reading a bit about it and I'm totally intrigued now.

I definitely think we'll hit Stefan's because I was a huge fan of his during his Top Chef run. That, and he has Journey as his background music. Cheesily fantastic!!!
30.gif

TGal - I really hope you didn't actually go, or that says more about Ramsey's restaurant than your memory. Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like Osteria Mozza is the front runner.

Anyone been to Melisse? I'm considering that one too simply for the location - right off of Wilshire which is where we'll be staying.
1.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:51:20 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
You guys are awesome - thanks so much for the help!

JJC - I think I may have to plan another trip back to go to both sides of Osteria Mozza. That menu sounds/looks delicious, and I have been reading a bit about it and I'm totally intrigued now.

I definitely think we'll hit Stefan's because I was a huge fan of his during his Top Chef run. That, and he has Journey as his background music. Cheesily fantastic!!!
30.gif

TGal - I really hope you didn't actually go, or that says more about Ramsey's restaurant than your memory. Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like Osteria Mozza is the front runner.

Anyone been to Melisse? I'm considering that one too simply for the location - right off of Wilshire which is where we'll be staying.
1.gif

Hee hee, you've narrowed yourself down to my favorite restaurant in LA (Pizzeria Mozza) and the restaurant that I think has the most sublime food (Melisse)! Since you asked for opinions on Melisse, I'll start there.

Melisse is in a somewhat inconspicuous corner storefront that they've tried to paint nicely, but doesn't look like anything special; for LA, it's kind of surprising since many of the top restaurants have been built from scratch with feng shui principles, soaring spaces, and water features. The service, however, is impeccable from the moment you walk in. Every server we've ever had is confident and knowledgeable, yet warm and helpful as they guide you through the options. They offer a la carte menu options as well as a 5 course tasting menu; in order to get the fullest experience, I highly recommend the tasting menu to be able to try as many things as possible while you're there. More than any other restaurant in LA, the chefs at Melisse bring a delicate and expert touch to every element that leaves their kitchen. It's hard to describe. Okay... being a foodie who also loves to cook, one of the reasons I love trying new restaurants is to be exposed to new food, so that when I get home I can see if I can recreate the dishes. I'm actually pretty good at it. But whenever I go to Melisse, it is beyond evident that the kitchen staff's skills are so far beyond anything that I could ever dream of being capable enough to do that the part of my brain which normally evaluates what I'm tasting goes on vacation for the evening. The chefs there are a whole different class, genuine artisans, and... you just sit back and contentedly sigh in gratitude that life's good enough to allow you to put on your tongue the food these chefs make. For example, the last time I went, they served the smoothest, creamiest asparagus soup for the starter course. Turns out... not an ounce of cream in it. I have *no* idea how they did it. I'm not even a huge fan of asparagus, but it probably was the best soup I've had in my life.

And then 4 more courses come after it.

And that's not counting the little amuse-bouche the kitchen keeps sending out between courses because they've been playing around in the kitchen with foie gras, or this new truffle they won at auction last week.

Pizzeria Mozza, on the other hand, is a very different experience. As you might know, Mozza is a joint venture by Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali. The original plan was to open the informal pizza side quickly, to tide people over for a few months until construction was finished on the main restaurant, Osteria Mozza. It proved so popular that they decided not to close it as planned. The preparations are simple; if you are fortunate enough to be seated at the pizza counter, you see how basic it is. What makes it stand out is the quality of the component pieces. Nancy Silverton is basically a whore for cheeses, and she's been turning everyone in this town into one too. I'd never had burrata until I went there, but once you've had theirs you'll be ruined forever. We always start with the caprese (add bruschetta bread), which is so good that you'll embarrass yourself making such loud moaning sounds of pleasure. (Thankfully the restaurant is always a bit noisy, so hopefully none of the patrons at the other tables will stare at you.) The squash blossom pizza is great, and the pizza with salumi always get a big thumbs-up from my FI. My friend swears by their butterscotch budino dessert, but I've never had the self-restraint to stop eating what's in front of me to save room for dessert. Among my friends, Pizzeria Mozza is the favorite restaurant. The food is very satisfying, and the price point makes it a nice treat, not a once-in-a-blue-moon experience.

Anyhow, hope this helped answer your Qs, Lauren-- if you have any additional ones, feel free to ask!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OM and Melisse are both great. Ramsay''s restaurant has been undergoing some staff changes, I believe. Should be great for tea service, though.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:38:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Osteria Mozza is right by my place (I could throw rocks at it) and I''ve never been. How lame am I? It seems really loud in there and is always very crowded.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy moly, FDL - thank you soooo much for the extremely detailed reviews! I am SOLD!

By the way, you don''t happen to be a food blogger do you? Or a member of Foodbuzz/Tastespotting/etc.?
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last recommendation that is pretty LA is Animal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results