shape
carat
color
clarity

Krispy Kreme has come to Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok this is not good at all. I used to be able to get it only in Sydney, so every business trip to Sydney, friends & family will put in orders and I''ll dutifully go to the Krispy Kreme drive-through near the airport and buy some. Now we have a 24hr drive-through - does not bode well for my pregnancy cravings!

The first Krispy Kreme store opened in Melbourne this morning at 6.30am, and there''s been people queueing outside the store since YESTERDAY morning!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Is Krispy Kreme still a big thing in America?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think it''s as big here anymore, but about 5-6 years ago when they started popping up out here in the bayarea people were waiting in line at like 4am that morning! i heard the line was about 2 hours long! i remember thinking okay i am SO not getting up at 3am to go get a DONUT.
23.gif
but yes they are pretty yummy, however i can typically only have one or so because they are SOOOOOO sweet and gushy that i feel insta-sugar-rush-sick if i eat anything more. i actually haven''t had one in months.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dh is in the investment business and apparently they were in trouble...started to expand too fast...I used to get the in the train station in NY and they were hot and fresh and great...then it became silly, you could be out in the boonies at a gas station with nothing around for miles and they had Krispy Kreme donuts...took away the special-ness of them...I am surprised to hear about the expansion since they have definitely face solvency issues or something similar, if I am not mistaken, maybe it has been resolved?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
The Australian master franchise owner (which is a private equity group)is pretty cashed up, so I think they are slated for rapid expansion in the rest of Australia now. KK has been in Sydney for a couple of years and going very strong, but that''s also partly due to interstate business. Interstate travellers have been known to purchase 50+ boxes at one time!

I wonder if the appeal will wane due to increased supplies
2.gif

That said, I now have 4 dozen donuts sitting on my desk waiting for their respective owners to come and collect them - a client got given heaps of boxes at the pre-launch party last night and promptly delivered the boxes here this morning
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dh and his parnter would be in NY on business and get a bunch of donuts while in the train station, of which very few made it to our house! Just as well, I would have eaten them! I think I heard or read here that they became too common, too available...seems a double edged sword, you cannot sell if people cannot get it, but if it becomes too easy to get it loses its allure...

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, they opened one by our house (in semi-health conscious SoCal) and it closed down a year later. I remember all the stuff int he news about not making projected numbers, etc because they were expanding too fast. I think the real problem was that people''s waistlines were expanding too fast - they built it across the street from In-n-Out, and people could just hop from one drive through to another, barely burning a calorie!!

I think the big problem is that, although they are great fresh when they are making them, they are also available in all the supermarkets. Also, since I''m pretty sure they''ve been in the area for a while, there was really no cause for excitement when they built the new one, even though the next closest store was 5 miles away.

On the other hand, when I lived back home in Albuquerque, I remember there being quite a line when the first store opened. It was about 10 miles across town, and I''d never had one before, so we went down there.

All in all, the doughnuts are great. I get the first one with some fresh milk, and it''s delicious. I get the second one, because the first was sooooo good, and I feel sick all day - they just sit there like a brick in your stomach!!! The problem is, I have no self control, and always go for the second, and always feel like crap! I just can''t win with Krispy Kremes!

Jade, best of luck with a new store out there - hopefully you can steer clear of over indulgence - but hey, if you can''t have a Krispy Kreme when you''re pregnant, when can you?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
The first few months it appeared in Quebec (the first in the province!) The line was immense...all around the building. But then it calmed down. But because it''s a bit far from where the center of the city is, the students in my class still go insane when I bring them for group meetings. Especially the guys....rabid animals I tell you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 3:50:26 AM
Author: ocbride2007
Yeah, they opened one by our house (in semi-health conscious SoCal) and it closed down a year later. I remember all the stuff int he news about not making projected numbers, etc because they were expanding too fast. I think the real problem was that people''s waistlines were expanding too fast - they built it across the street from In-n-Out, and people could just hop from one drive through to another, barely burning a calorie!!

I think the big problem is that, although they are great fresh when they are making them, they are also available in all the supermarkets. Also, since I''m pretty sure they''ve been in the area for a while, there was really no cause for excitement when they built the new one, even though the next closest store was 5 miles away.

On the other hand, when I lived back home in Albuquerque, I remember there being quite a line when the first store opened. It was about 10 miles across town, and I''d never had one before, so we went down there.

All in all, the doughnuts are great. I get the first one with some fresh milk, and it''s delicious. I get the second one, because the first was sooooo good, and I feel sick all day - they just sit there like a brick in your stomach!!! The problem is, I have no self control, and always go for the second, and always feel like crap! I just can''t win with Krispy Kremes!

Jade, best of luck with a new store out there - hopefully you can steer clear of over indulgence - but hey, if you can''t have a Krispy Kreme when you''re pregnant, when can you?
Well, they are like fried balls of lard!! Gotta love us, our car/drivethrough/do not get out of the car laziness...the first time I saw a drive through Dunkin Donuts I nearly fell over laighing...when you are THAT LAZY that you cannot even walk from your car to the donut shop, you are in big trouble!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Great for fundraisers- synonymous with "car wash." Nothing like one microwaved a day later...

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I never liked them that much. I have a soft spot for donuts, but they''re like donuts squared (as in exponential increase). It''s like a regular donut with twice as much sugar and possibly more oily. It falls into that category adding more sugar/sweetness to make a product sell more.

Near Toronto, there were lineups at first - I always thought that was crazy.

They started to sell them in Walmart. There was something about cooking the books - they would go to walmart, not sell, and be thrown away. To make it look like they were still growing, they would send even more to walmart, who would throw even more away.

I think health-consciousness and low-carb diets hurt the business pretty bad.

Z.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Krispy Kreme is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth.
18.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There everywhere here now all the gas stations sell them.
They aren''t anything special a couple local donut shops make better donuts and have been for years.
They had a hard time when the Krispy Kreme first opened but are now doing more business than ever.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m from the South so I grew up w/em. We even went to their "donut making machine" as a SCHOOL FIELD TRIP ... and, of course, sold them for every school fundraiser.

When I moved to NYC, I had a crush on a guy who wore a Krispy Kreme delivery driver workshirt as "ironic style" -- probably ''cause it reminded me of home!

Ummmm. Still love ''em. Our gas stations are getting them now & my Sweetie stopped in one the other day & saw a brand new display case waiting to be filled up with sticky goodness. Soon. Very soon. (Kinda wish it could wait ''til after the Oct wedding though
3.gif
)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, they opened one by our house (in semi-health conscious SoCal) and it closed down a year later. I remember all the stuff int he news about not making projected numbers, etc because they were expanding too fast. I think the real problem was that people's waistlines were expanding too fast - they built it across the street from In-n-Out, and people could just hop from one drive through to another, barely burning a calorie!!

I think the big problem is that, although they are great fresh when they are making them, they are also available in all the supermarkets. Also, since I'm pretty sure they've been in the area for a while, there was really no cause for excitement when they built the new one, even though the next closest store was 5 miles away.

On the other hand, when I lived back home in Albuquerque, I remember there being quite a line when the first store opened. It was about 10 miles across town, and I'd never had one before, so we went down there.

All in all, the doughnuts are great. I get the first one with some fresh milk, and it's delicious. I get the second one, because the first was sooooo good, and I feel sick all day - they just sit there like a brick in your stomach!!! The problem is, I have no self control, and always go for the second, and always feel like crap! I just can't win with Krispy Kremes!

Jade, best of luck with a new store out there - hopefully you can steer clear of over indulgence - but hey, if you can't have a Krispy Kreme when you're pregnant, when can you?
Ocbride2007 I live in New Mexico and there were HUGE lines when the first one opened in Albuquerque. They opened two more since and one has already been closed. I have to say I love Krispy Kremes and I am probably fortunate that I don't live close to one. I won't buy them at the grocery or convenience store. It just isn't the same!!!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Like Kaleigh said, they were hot when the first opened up in the Bay Area. I used to inhale those donuts six at a time, in one sitting. I haven''t had one for the past two years or so. But they are soooo yummy. It''s just hard to eat less than six of them at once.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 5:33:48 PM
Author: Cinderella
Like Kaleigh said, they were hot when the first opened up in the Bay Area. I used to inhale those donuts six at a time, in one sitting. I haven''t had one for the past two years or so. But they are soooo yummy. It''s just hard to eat less than six of them at once.
HEY I''m Mara!!!
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe, that was Mara not me. I had my first Krispy Kreme donut as a favor that was given after leaving a Bar Mitzvah at the 4 Seasons on Philly. They had them in nicely wrapped bags. Have to say it was yummy and we gobbled them up on our drive home, hehe.
18.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
*rubs belly*

*groaning from overindulgence*

I had TWO apple & cinnamon donuts for breakfast this morning!
40.gif

Yeah it seems like a fad that will pass pretty quickly. Expansion is all very well and good (except for the waistline, over which I have ZERO control at the moment), but oversupply will result in decreased demand.

As much as I like being able to have Krispy Kreme whenever I feel like it now, I think I preferred it when KK donuts were a ''treat'' (when they''re an hour away by plane!)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Bleh, Krispy Kreme. Don''t you have any Dunkin Donuts over there??

That''s one of those "Yankees vs. Sox", "Mac vs. Windows", "Red State vs. Blue State" type things, though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2006 7:14:13 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Not as big a thing. I do know their stock is down.. lol I love their hot glazed donuts fresh off the roller.. (but I can only eat just one..) its been a LONNNG time since I've had one. lol
SDL
tell me about it. i SHORTED their stock at $34 per share and it shot up to $39 real quick
29.gif
i cover my short position. today, KKD closed at $8.16. i could of made a lot money, if i still have my short position
29.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 7:13:37 PM
Author: Selkie

That''s one of those ''Yankees vs. Sox'', ''Mac vs. Windows'', ''Red State vs. Blue State'' type things, though.
No Dunkin Donuts on the West Coast that I''ve seen! I miss those honey glazed crullers from way back when.
18.gif

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 5:13:34 PM
Author: Sundial

Ocbride2007 I live in New Mexico and there were HUGE lines when the first one opened in Albuquerque. They opened two more since and one has already been closed. I have to say I love Krispy Kremes and I am probably fortunate that I don''t live close to one. I won''t buy them at the grocery or convenience store. It just isn''t the same!!!
Sun, my FI was out there visiting me five years ago when it first opened out by cottonwood mall, and we stopped by, like on the third day, to get some. Him being from southern california, where there''s been krispy kremes for quite a while, was so embarrassed to stand in line for 45 minutes with me!!! But we were out that way shopping (I lived in the SE heights, and usually didn''t have much reason to drive over there) and I''d never had a Krispy Kreme, so I figured, what the heck? Summertime in the New Mexico sun, may as well spend 45 minutes of my life for a HOT doughnut!!! What was I thinking? LOL.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Nah no dunkin'' donuts here. There''s donut king, which pales in comparision to KK. There''s also heaps of cafe donuts which are rather yummy hot from the fryer, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

On another note - Australia has advanced to the next round of the World Cup! Woohoo!

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock

That''s one of those ''Yankees vs. Sox'', ''Mac vs. Windows'', ''Red State vs. Blue State'' type things, though.
Yeah, no Dunkin Donuts in SoCal... I actually never thought that they were THAT great. But I love their chocolate cake doghnuts!! Krispy Kreme ruins half of their doughnuts by insisting everything be like triple glazed. It would be a nice change to have a Dunkin Donut right now!

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 9:12:18 PM
Author: jadeleaves
Nah no dunkin'' donuts here. There''s donut king, which pales in comparision to KK. There''s also heaps of cafe donuts which are rather yummy hot from the fryer, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

On another note - Australia has advanced to the next round of the World Cup! Woohoo!

ooh, I was at work all day and forgot to check the group F results!!! (I went into work late to watch Group E)

You Aussies must be so excited!! I was cheering for you!! But watch out for Italy next round, Ouch!!

I was mega happy for Ghana today (I''m such a bad American). Ghana has been playing so hard and deserve it!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 5:44:31 PM
Author: Mara

HEY I''m Mara!!!
5.gif

Whoops!! Sorry Mara!!! I''m starting to recognize certain posters by their avatars, and from the corner of my eye, all I saw were diamonds. Please forgive me for not giving you due credit. *bangs head on wall* Won''t happen again.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 9:09:06 PM

Sun, my FI was out there visiting me five years ago when it first opened out by cottonwood mall, and we stopped by, like on the third day, to get some. Him being from southern california, where there''s been krispy kremes for quite a while, was so embarrassed to stand in line for 45 minutes with me!!! But we were out that way shopping (I lived in the SE heights, and usually didn''t have much reason to drive over there) and I''d never had a Krispy Kreme, so I figured, what the heck? Summertime in the New Mexico sun, may as well spend 45 minutes of my life for a HOT doughnut!!! What was I thinking? LOL.
You really need to hang on to this guy - he''s a keeper!!!
9.gif

Sadly I LOVE the way KK puts on multiple layers of glaze. My favorite is the chocolate with which has the regular glaze topped by chocolate frosting!!! Dunkin can''t even come close.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 9:11:15 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 6/22/2006 8:50:06 PM

Author: FireGoddess

No Dunkin Donuts on the West Coast that I''ve seen! I miss those honey glazed crullers from way back when.
18.gif

Oh my stars honey, come to San Diego.. we still have em! LOL There''s one in El Cajon.. and one in San Diego off Gennesee I think its on Clairmont.. hm.. (south off the 52).. yeah.. just a couple.. but still. lol

Oooh, road trip from LA!! I knew there was a reason I liked San Diego better!
Every time I visit my parents in MA I bring back a box of Munchkins
18.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
The opening of the Melbourne store caused traffic jams and people queued up for hours. Personally, I don''t see what the fuss is about. I''ve tried them to see what they were like and thought they were nothing special. I actually find them quite off putting - too sickly sweet. The fat and sugar content just puts me off.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkster, that's the funny thing...people either seem to really love them or hate them...!! I have heard others say they hate them because they are soo sweet. I love sickly sweet stuff, but again, I can really only have one...the second one starts all sorts of wrong!! heee.

By the way I hate this thread! It makes me think of donuts which I adore but rarely ever have! WAH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results