shape
carat
color
clarity

Knowing too much??

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
1. The HCA is slightly biased toward shallower stones and that may ding some atypical diamonds on their "predicted performance" but the actual real-life performance is still pretty good.

2. Lots of older diamonds might be 58% to 60% deep and have big tables and don't look like today's 55% table 62% deep H&A superideals, but are still very pretty diamonds, especially for the right price. European cuts (European, not Old European) have big tables and low crown angles compared to today's H&As. They have a different look, but that's not necessarily bad.

3. There have been comments over the years on this board as you hit and exceed the 2ct mark, it gets tougher and much more expensive to find really well-cut large diamonds. It just may not be worth the premium prices to get that perfect superideal H&A 2ct when you can find something nice and big but not H&A for significantly less, by say, buying an older-cut diamond.

If what you want is a H&A modern RB, OP, then maybe you should bring up the subject. But if you got a nice-looking big diamond and it's pretty, it might be better to just enjoy it and don't worry about it's pedigree.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um. I'd tell him I've been doing some homework and I appreciate the gesture but I want to exchange it. Point blank. I'm blunt like that.

If I gave my FI an engagement or wedding gift of season tickets for the wrong team ( :errrr: ), or the wrong set of golf clubs (just for the example, he hates golf 8) ), that doesn't mean I love him any less.

It does mean I didn't do my homework before choosing for him, and it does mean he won't get as much use or enjoyment out of it as if we exchanged it for the 'perfect' one for him.

But then, I have little sympathy for those who spend a fortune on things without thoroughly researching them. Whatever you choose to buy, go into it with eyes open, and then there's absolutely no way for someone to invalidate your educated choice (and thus no room for regret)..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CK...any lab report came with the stone?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My mom gave me a 1.12 ct rb when she upgraded a few years ago, and when I first got it, she told me it was 1.21 ct, and excellent color (she said F), clarity (she said VVS2) cut, everything, and I was totally in love with it.

Fast forward a couple years, she dug out the GIA cert, and I found out all those stats were wrong, it was actually 1.12 vs 1.21, and the color was an H vs F and the clarity was VS2 and not VVS2. The table was 63%....

You know, it's still beautiful to me because it's from my mom, and it's a family stone that I plan to pass down to my daughter. I have it set in a pendant, and I get tons of compliments on how blinding it is (it's a very brilliant stone), not a lot of rainbows, but to the non-PS population it is a gorgeous gift. If I posted the stats here, it'd probably get trashed, but I wear it with pride, and people on the street always comment on what great quality it is for a pendant stone!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
I would accept his gift with grace and goodwill.

You can educate him later on diamonds, without even bringing this diamond into it.

Unless you know that your DH is a perfectionist and would want this diamond returned because it did badly on the numbers, why hurt his feelings unnecessarily?

My FI spent money getting me an F VVS1 stone in my ering and I'm not colour sensitive nor need that high a clarity. We could have returned that stone and saved a packet.

But that stone was a gift from his heart and, though it's beautiful, I would have kept it even if it was fugly.

Your stone is beautiful. If you routinely reject gifts, then go ahead and reject this one. If you don't then don't. You are one lucky lady, you should look at that rock and be reminded of your wonderful DH everyday. I really hope you keep it!

Edit: if you hated the diamond, then I would say tell him! Honesty is good. Brutal honesty is not always good.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luckynumber said:
I would accept his gift with grace and goodwill.

You can educate him later on diamonds, without even bringing this diamond into it.

Unless you know that your DH is a perfectionist and would want this diamond returned because it did badly on the numbers, why hurt his feelings unnecessarily?

My FI spent money getting me an F VVS1 stone in my ering and I'm not colour sensitive nor need that high a clarity. We could have returned that stone and saved a packet.

But that stone was a gift from his heart and, though it's beautiful, I would have kept it even if it was fugly.

Your stone is beautiful. If you routinely reject gifts, then go ahead and reject this one. If you don't then don't. You are one lucky lady, you should look at that rock and be reminded of your wonderful DH everyday. I really hope you keep it!
why wait ?? tell him now!! maybe it is still within the return period.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm always an interesting topic....

I sympathise as my hubby also suprised me with a diamond with terrific stats EXCEPT the cut. Didn't come with a certificate but even I can tell when a itty bitty "black hole" appears in the middle in direct sunlight that it's not quite cut perfectly. Yes, sometimes ignorance IS bliss. I could never ask my hubby to exchange or upgrade it as it was a big deal for him to give this to me - it is my first diamond.
I now love how blindingly white it is in all other lighting situations (H colour) and practically flawless (VVS). Perhaps look for the positives in this purchase?

Honestly only you know your hubby well enough to judge his reaction, if you think he'd be cool with it - I say get the best diamond for your money. If it'll create tension/fights then just leave it and learn to love the thought!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope this gal's hubby is not Mel Gibson.
He may not take it well.

ckfern

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It really has helped me alot. Dancing fire the stone is GIA and came with the certificate. After reading all the responses I decided I will be taking the ring to an appraiser. I told my hubby it would be best to get someones educated opinion on the stone to make sure its a good stone. So I am in the works of getting that done. If anyone knows of any good ones in NYC or NJ please let me know. This way I can tell my hubby the truth about the diamond from someone else's opinion and maybe that will help! The diamond is beautiful and I went to Tiffany's and compared it to one of their cuts the same size as mine and they both shine brilliantly. I also compared size because I know sometimes the cut affects how big the diamond looks and sure enough they looked the same. We will see how it goes. I will keep everyone updated! Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't say exactly what I'd do... mostly because I don't think this would happen me.

What I MIGHT do is send the diamond to BGD and see if it is a good candidate for a partial recut to improve its light performance. And then if it is, I'd have it recut and then I'd have it set by them as well... and never tell hubby anything about the recut, if I thought it would make him unhappy.

Just being honest.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
ckfern said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It really has helped me alot. Dancing fire the stone is GIA and came with the certificate. After reading all the responses I decided I will be taking the ring to an appraiser. I told my hubby it would be best to get someones educated opinion on the stone to make sure its a good stone. So I am in the works of getting that done. If anyone knows of any good ones in NYC or NJ please let me know. This way I can tell my hubby the truth about the diamond from someone else's opinion and maybe that will help! The diamond is beautiful and I went to Tiffany's and compared it to one of their cuts the same size as mine and they both shine brilliantly. I also compared size because I know sometimes the cut affects how big the diamond looks and sure enough they looked the same. We will see how it goes. I will keep everyone updated! Thanks again!

This sounds very wise to me. Can he go with you to the appt whenever you go? I know there is a list of appraisers here https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers so you can hopefully find a good one in your area. I think if your DH goes with you, you can find out if this is a good cut stone and worth it or not. My deal wtih stones is that it has to be beautiful to your eye and not be over priced. As long as you love it and you didn't over pay for what it is, I really don't think you have to worry much. I know many need ideal and super ideal cuts, but I personally don't love them so I'm not the norm here for that stuff LOL But if it stood up to Tiffany you probably have a beautiful stone.

Getting a second opinion is ver smart! I hope no matter what happens that you *both* will be happy with the gift (or replacement if need be)

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
ckfern said:

if you are open to going out to long island, check out Barry Block....he is listed on pricescope as a recomemnded appraiser..i went last weekend with my fiance to have a professional opinion and he was great...he was friendly, we joked around and had a good time learning about diamonds and my fiances particular ring...reasonably priced, and he was very good...he graded each area without looking at the report. he looked at the report afterwards..i would definitely use him again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results