shape
carat
color
clarity

know a jeweler besides dk....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That could do a custom solitaire for less than $700?

I know I can go the non custom route. But I want claw prongs, and I have a very specific vision of how the prongs would be arranged.

Problem is my champagne tastes don't quite match my budget. I could spend more, but I'm certain my DH would flip if I spent any more. He doesn't see the point in a solitaire that's expensive. And I mean, I totally get that.

Here's what I had in mind.
uploadfromtaptalk1417662056734.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to find a local jeweler, but I dont have high hopes about that.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search, as I vaguely remember reading about claw prongs being difficult to make right, and do not come cheap as a result.

DK :))

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1419783844|3808738 said:
Hi Niel,
You are in the GR area, right? Have you tried Craft-Revival Jewelers on Ionia near Van Andel Arena? I stopped in there to talk to them about re-working my original e-ring and they were very helpful and their prices seemed reasonable. I'm going to have them do the work soon, so I don't have a first hand recommendation on their work for you yet, but they do have great online reviews. It is owned/operated by a father and son and the two of them do all of them bench work themselves right there on site. I spoke with Brandon, who is the father, and he really seemed knowledgeable. Good Luck :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2Neezers|1419786129|3808753 said:
Niel|1419783844|3808738 said:
Hi Niel,
You are in the GR area, right? Have you tried Craft-Revival Jewelers on Ionia near Van Andel Arena? I stopped in there to talk to them about re-working my original e-ring and they were very helpful and their prices seemed reasonable. I'm going to have them do the work soon, so I don't have a first hand recommendation on their work for you yet, but they do have great online reviews. It is owned/operated by a father and son and the two of them do all of them bench work themselves right there on site. I spoke with Brandon, who is the father, and he really seemed knowledgeable. Good Luck :)

I've been going over their stuff, but I hadn't seen any examples on their website of delicate prongs. I was going to email them but they didn't have an email on their site. Their stuff seemed a bit modern, BUT, they also had a few vintage inspired things that made me think they could work.

A friend of mine gets her jewelry from a woman who teaches jewelry design at Kendall, I asked her for her email, and I'm waiting on that. She's currently working on a marquise ring for for my friend- though its not done yet. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Also a new jeweler popped up near Marie Catribs I'd like to go see, but I can't remember the name, and their stuff looks super industrial/ modern too.

The only place I've gotten custom work done in town was Pruissers and it turned out utterly terrible.

Eta: I looked again and found their email. I emailed them.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Neil, Jeff Juhas (at Juhas & Sullivan) made a pair of earrings & a cross pendant for me, both turned out just fine. They used to be our go to jeweler pre-Pricescope--both came from Herkners when Herkners was downtown. Now that I have a clue due to Pricescope, he overcharged on both.

Nice guys, their showroom jewelry is nice, a a bit nicer than a typical BM--but the diamond quality not quite up to Pricescope standards. We bought my er stone from Herkners, which WF recut. Now its beautiful.

Re Pruissers, have not heard good things, quite specific issues, re switching stones. Not good.

Hope your leads pan out! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1419788116|3808765 said:
Neil, Jeff Juhas (at Juhas & Sullivan) made a pair of earrings & a cross pendant for me, both turned out just fine. They used to be our go to jeweler pre-Pricescope--both came from Herkners when Herkners was downtown. Now that I have a clue due to Pricescope, he overcharged on both.

Nice guys, their showroom jewelry is nice, a a bit nicer than a typical BM--but the diamond quality not quite up to Pricescope standards. We bought my er stone from Herkners, which WF recut. Now its beautiful.

Re Pruissers, have not heard good things, quite specific issues, re switching stones. Not good.

Hope your leads pan out! :wavey:

I thought I remember you saying before they won't set outside stones....is that still true ?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have not had them set an outside stone or anyone else locally. I do know they will not appraise anything not purchased at their store though. They were the ones I purchased my first (uncerted) eternity from (on a Fri) returned it on a Mon. Consequently saved thousands at WF on the eternity we have now (ACA stones). They weren't very happy to say the least.

I so wish we had found PS 20 years ago. The $ we would of saved, & the quality we would've gained--you are fortunate to have found PS in your early years, wish we had.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1419796826|3808809 said:
I have not had them set an outside stone or anyone else locally. I do know they will not appraise anything not purchased at their store though. They were the ones I purchased my first (uncerted) eternity from (on a Fri) returned it on a Mon. Consequently saved thousands at WF on the eternity we have now (ACA stones). They weren't very happy to say the least.

I so wish we had found PS 20 years ago. The $ we would of saved, & the quality we would've gained--you are fortunate to have found PS in your early years, wish we had.

Im not sure my husband is as happy I found it as I am :lol:

maybe I'll email them, but the few times I've been in there I did feel like their prices were high.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another local jeweler that may be able to help you is DeVries Jewelers on Leonard. They will set outside stone for sure. I have had them set a few colored-stones in EBay settings and they have only charged me a $25 setting fee. I have not had them do any custom work, but someone I work with had a ring made there for their wife and was happy with it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2Neezers|1419797487|3808816 said:
Another local jeweler that may be able to help you is DeVries Jewelers on Leonard. They will set outside stone for sure. I have had them set a few colored-stones in EBay settings and they have only charged me a $25 setting fee. I have not had them do any custom work, but someone I work with had a ring made there for their wife and was happy with it.
They have set 2 outside stones for me as well. As well as one for a friend of mine. They didn't even charge him sense he bought the setting from them.

They quoted me a setting once that was super reasonable.... But again I just wasn't sure about the quality. The stone they set for my friend was too high for my taste, though he was happy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call ID Jewelry. Make sure you mention not just that you are a PS member, but that you are Neil.

Speak to Yekutiel, not anyone else. See what he says.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no experience, personal or otherwise re DeVries, except to see an engagement ring they set/sourced for a young couple, the stones were not nice at all etc.

Neil, since you are just looking for setting help & not sourcing stones, I'd think you be ok with whomever you choose--just check out their work prior to proceeding, you have your head squarely on your shoulders, you'll be fine.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419808465|3808873 said:
I would call ID Jewelry. Make sure you mention not just that you are a PS member, but that you are Neil.

Oh they never crossed my mind! I'll give them a call.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1419810011|3808881 said:
Gypsy|1419808465|3808873 said:

Oh they never crossed my mind! I'll give them a call.

Gypsy alway has good advice....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sarah. :wavey:

Neil, also CALL (don't email) and talk to Mark at BE. Again, introduce yourself as Neil from PS and ask. Sometimes Mark's prices can surprise you. He's got some reasonably priced ones on here so... might be worth a call, and if not... you haven't lost anything: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/forever-yours-pcid-18.html

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419811526|3808898 said:

Neil, also CALL (don't email) and talk to Mark at BE. Again, introduce yourself as Neil from PS and ask. Sometimes Mark's prices can surprise you. He's got some reasonably priced ones on here so... might be worth a call, and if not... you haven't lost anything: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/forever-yours-pcid-18.html

Haha yes, I almost mentioned in my last post that I tried emailing BE just for a quote (assuming they wouldnt be in my budgi) but they never got back to me.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Prongs are a finishing detail. Have one of the Chinese ebay vendors make it and have your local person finish with claw prongs. Probably cost less then $300.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Have your tried contacting Poppy seed through DB and working with Amcor? They did a nice job on my prongs and my setting was $300.

20130924_095731.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had contacted poppyseed, but it didn't seem like a great fit.

I got two emails back from local places. Of course they say they can totally do it and have done it before, but u haven't gotten photos yet. They both want me to come in to discuss it, which who's got time for that, but I may do it Saturday.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Curious who you heard back from Neil--for obvious reasons, I'm particularly interested if do you do end up going local...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1419951622|3809562 said:
Curious who you heard back from Neil--for obvious reasons, I'm particularly interested if do you do end up going local...
Devries And craft revival got back to me so far.
IIll make sure to keep you posted as I'd really like to stay local if someone is up to par.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1419811756|3808900 said:

Haha yes, I almost mentioned in my last post that I tried emailing BE just for a quote (assuming they wouldnt be in my budgi) but they never got back to me.

Don't email BE. Mark has email issues. Call them. :) And again, mention who you are on here from the get go. So when you call, ask for Mark, then introduce yourself first as Niel, on PS, then you real name.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419958572|3809612 said:

Don't email BE. Mark has email issues. Call them. :) And again, mention who you are on here from the get go. So when you call, ask for Mark, then introduce yourself first as Niel, on PS, then you real name.
I'll try and give him a call on my lunch.

I Know its rude to talk money on here,but you think his quote would be anywhere close?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1419958933|3809618 said:
Gypsy|1419958572|3809612 said:

I'll try and give him a call on my lunch.

I Know its rude to talk money on here,but you think his quote would be anywhere close?

Just got an email from Chris about my moonstone project. :naughty: BE is closing down for a mini-break until January 5. But perhaps you will still be able to reach him today.

Al the best!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1419951963|3809570 said:
IIll make sure to keep you posted as I'd really like to stay local if someone is up to par.

Appreciate it--Good luck--hope it all works out, I'll be watching your thread :) :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1420052336|3810116 said:
Niel|1419951963|3809570 said:

Appreciate it--Good luck--hope it all works out, I'll be watching your thread :) :wavey:

DeVries after some persistence gave me a general quote of between 750-900. :doh:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally have no context/experience to make a judgement on that price. It doesn't seem that high...?? I wouldn't know.

Your inspiration pictures are succinct in that you know exactly what you want--ie no need to totally depend on a designers creativity.

It seems like you need solid execution--if they can show you examples of their work, & if the price checks out--who knows, maybe its a match??

Wonder if IDJ BE etc can come close on price--at least you know from here they can execute.

The good news is you have options! :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1420054492|3810123 said:
I personally have no context/experience to make a judgement on that price. It doesn't seem that high...?? I wouldn't know.

Your inspiration pictures are succinct in that you know exactly what you want--ie no need to totally depend on a designers creativity.

It seems like you need solid execution--if they can show you examples of their work, & if the price checks out--who knows, maybe its a match??

Wonder if IDJ BE etc can come close on price--at least you know from here they can execute.

The good news is you have options! :))

ideally my budget is 700, and ive gotten a few quotes from outside vendors that can do that for me, but i wanted to stay local. So is it high, no, not if the quality is there, but its higher than im willing to go when i know i can get good quality for less.

ill keep you posted when/ if craft revival gets back to me

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hunt Country?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results