I
VS1
Cut = excellent
Polish = excellent
symmetry = excellent
fluorescence med. blue
7.09-7.15x4.35 mm
a tiny knot indicated on upper right portion of table

Is this a good diamond to consider purchasing. I like the specs, but am worried about the knot. I hear conflicting stories about it. Some say if GIA graded it VS1, then the knot won't have any affect on integrity or sparkle of the diamond. Others say these kinds of diamonds are immediately rejected by jewelers. Please give me any opinions, as I have been reading many posts and value you guys opinions. :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
can you post photos and a report #? It's unlikely that it's an issue in a VS1 stone.

nikkiejack

Rough_Rock
The diamond is still on blue nile website. LD02429662. The depth is 61.2% and the table is 58%. :)

nikkiejack

Rough_Rock
I'm not able to post the picture. :(sad

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS1 inclusions are impossible to see with the eye and usually hard to see with a 10x loupe. They certainly aren't going to negatively affect the performance of the diamond.

eli

Rough_Rock
I too am looking at a GIA S1 at a good price and I like the measurements as well but am very worried about the knot. I wasn't able to see pic and I failed to ask if it was eye clean. Does anyone have any comments about the knot in the diamond as I too am worried about durability and visability? It's through Blue Nile
Gia #1139094864

Please ease my mind!

eli

Rough_Rock
Sorry my mistake. The clarity is SI-2 not SI-1. Also can anybody tell me what the "GIA Comments: Clarity grade is based on pinpoints that are not shown." refer too?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eli|1339870048|3217760 said:
Sorry my mistake. The clarity is SI-2 not SI-1. Also can anybody tell me what the "GIA Comments: Clarity grade is based on pinpoints that are not shown." refer too?

Clouds/pinpoints in SI2 can be problematic when accompanied by this notation. If the legend said "Additional pinpoints not shown" it would be a non-issue. But when it's "Clarity grade based on (the characteristic) not shown" that is a warning flag. It means there are so many pinpoints that not-only did the grader choose not to attempt to catalog them, the clarity grade had to be reduced based on the frequency of that characteristic.

eli

Rough_Rock
Thank you so very much!!! I've seen several of your posts, all of which are very informative! And what do you think of the knot shown on the pavillion diagram? Sounds like this diamond is a bust either way!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eli|1339902703|3218012 said:
Thank you so very much!!! I've seen several of your posts, all of which are very informative! And what do you think of the knot shown on the pavillion diagram? Sounds like this diamond is a bust either way!

If you're referring to the 1.36 I VS1 thbmok linked-to above I believe the data is promising.

RE the knot: A knot is just an included crystal which extends to touch a facet's surface after polishing. This one was judged quite minor. GIA lists clarity characteristics in order of their significance. That means the small crystal under the bezel near 9:00 is the grade-setting inclusion in this VS1. The needles were also considered to have as much or more impact than the knot. My interpretation, based on the data present, is that it's a very tiny crystal which happens to touch the table; changing its status (but not its severity) to a VS1 knot of last-order significance.

Remember that a clarity plot is a guide to location but not necessarily to scale. The grader pinpointed the location of the knot and the drawing of that symbol calls-for an outline of its general shape in red, circled by an additional green ring to ID it as a knot. From the context clues above I'd wager the grader had to zoom in quite a bit to discern the shape info needed for the drawing. So while the knot looks like the main inclusion if we use only the plot the list below contradicts that notion.

My GIA instructor tried to stump our class a few times by showing different plots of inclusions with no symbols listed and asking "Which inclusion set the grade here?" ...Trick question, sir. There is no way to know without the stone in-hand. It's another reminder that as much as we love to analyze from the comfort of our computer monitors, there is no substitute for having the diamond in-hand.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For the record, here's a screenshot of the clarity and proportions areas.

knot-i-vs1.jpg

nikkiejack

Rough_Rock
Hello. Just wanted to give everyone an update on the diamond I had a question about in my earlier post. The diamond is BEAUTIFUL! Full of sparkle and fire! I looked at the diamond under a loupe, and the knot was extremely difficult for me to find. And only after the jeweler found it after a few minutes and pointed it out to me. It had no effect on the brilliance of the diamond. The medium blue flourescence had absolutely no effect on the color of the diamond. On the contrary, jeweler said the med. blue flourecence actually made my I color diamond appear whiter than it actually was. :razz:

nikkiejack

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, one other thing. The diamond is 1.36 carats but appears larger to most people. I think it could actually pass for a 1.5 carat in my opinion. Jeweler explained also, that the knot had no impact whatsoever on the integrity of the diamond.

Renae Sims

Rough_Rock
Clouds/pinpoints in SI2 can be problematic when accompanied by this notation. If the legend said "Additional pinpoints not shown" it would be a non-issue. But when it's "Clarity grade based on (the characteristic) not shown" that is a warning flag. It means there are so many pinpoints that not-only did the grader choose not to attempt to catalog them, the clarity grade had to be reduced based on the frequency of that characteristic.

I see you are from the Dallas area. I am considering buying a 1.41 ct I VS2 diamond from Diamonds Direct in Frisco. It has a "Knot" listed on the GIA report as the 1st inclusion on the pavilion side. Should I be concerned with the knot? I also see several inclusions on the top that I think are clouds but not sure. The measurements look good to me. I would greatly appreciate your input on this Diamond. I have seen it and it does have a lot of sparkle.

Attachments

• GIA 1378944796.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 15

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you are from the Dallas area. I am considering buying a 1.41 ct I VS2 diamond from Diamonds Direct in Frisco. It has a "Knot" listed on the GIA report as the 1st inclusion on the pavilion side. Should I be concerned with the knot? I also see several inclusions on the top that I think are clouds but not sure. The measurements look good to me. I would greatly appreciate your input on this Diamond. I have seen it and it does have a lot of sparkle.

Please start your own thread...

Can you post a picture of the attachment (people don't like to have to download on their machines). Also, put the stone on hold and provide
the link to the stone so we can see pictures/videos of the stone.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The knot will have more of an impact on your stone than the original VS1 discussed back in 2012 for the following reasons:

1. VS2 clarity itself is lower than VS1.

2. The knot on the VS2 stone is the grade setting inclusion. So it’s the worst inclusion instead of being 3rd and least worst on the VS1.

I would want to see the stone to make any further conclusions. Generally speaking I dislike knots and especially grade setting ones.

Better yet, what is the reward for taking the risk? Does it offer a unique cost savings? Is the cost savings tied to the knot or just a phenomenal deal? Does it have unique characteristics that can’t be duplicated?

83807E3E-01D4-42C7-84FB-CD4DC34FC7F9.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results