shape
carat
color
clarity

Knife edge--what is the advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ams21212

Rough_Rock
What is the advantage of a knife edge band? Any disadvantages?
34.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure if there are any functional advantages to knife edge as opposed to other settings like comfort fit or the like. Perhaps the preference is visual. From a design perspective, knife edge gives a subtle sense of increased depth or dimension to a ring. Knife edge is rather thin and I personally like the look of thinner bands.

I own a knife edge tiffany solitare setting and the width is a little over 2mm. I think the setting is classic, sleek, and timeless.

Initially, you do feel the knife edge ridge at the back of your ring, but it''s'' not uncomfortable and you don''t notice it after a while. I guess a potential disadvantage would be if you banged your ring really hard so that you dent the setting, it would look out of round somewhat. Believe me, I''m a klutz and I work with my hands so I''m extremely hard on my ring and it gets more than normal wear and I haven''t had a hit to the ring that has made it look out of shape or flattened the knife edge ridge.

Designers also have to account for functionality in their ring designs. The original Tiffany and Co. solitaire is the knife edge and this design has been around forever. Tiff & Co. marketing spin aside, if the setting couldn''t stand up to normal wear, it wouldn''t be so popular throughout the years.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
ditto --i have seen a couple rings where the "edge" is a little dinged up in places..................

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I may be in the minority but I found the knife edge to be uncomfortable.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know...

'guess the idea to make a very thin looking (face up) band that is still durable and confortable to wear: the "edge" looks thin but the band is deep which helps keepit rigid (and probably easier to make). Without the "edge" thin bands (like those on old rings) don't keep shape well - unless you might want Ti instead of gold or platium.

The edge gets the most wear overall, but can be polished of course.

Some are not very confortable
32.gif
- the very "edged" narrow & thick ones. There shouldn't be a "knife edge" between your fingers !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results