Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Kleinfelds?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
Has anyone gone to Kleinfelds..aka the store from Say Yes To The Dress? My good friend went there and loved the entire experience but that was a few years ago. I'm thinking when DH and I renew our vows that I would love to get a wedding dress from them ( I did not care for my original wedding dress, but tradition and my budget picked it for me)...Just wondering if anyone else thought it would be a fun experience.
 

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
2,471
My friend actually went last year as part of the Say Yes to the Dress show. She had a great time and ended up buying two dresses and was very happy with her experience. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not people that aren't affiliated with the show have the same pampered experience. Looks like they have an incredible selection though!
 

audball

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
4,946
I'm FAR from NY (in FL), but I love the show! I have no idea how experiences go. I have read here on BWW a few times that people have mixed reviews. You certainly could give it a shot. Worse case you don't enjoy the experience, you don't say yes to the dress! :lol:

I can only dream of being able to afford dresses in that price bracket, but I think it would make for a lovely vow renewal! What a special way to replace a dress you didn't love the first time around.
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
My friend that went didnt' have anything to do with the show and loved it. I guess the reason I like the idea of going is because when I went to get my dressing for my wedding. I went by myself to a local shop. Tried on 4 dresses anded up buying 1 that was in my price range and half way decent on me. I didn't love it and I feel like I missed out on the whole experience. I just think it would be so much fun to go through it....hmmmm I'm actually wondering if I should apply for the show! It looks kinds of neat.
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,231
audball|1357135299|3345381 said:
I'm FAR from NY (in FL), but I love the show!
You could always go to the one in Atlanta (Bridals by Lori) that the other Say Yes show is based on!

I seem to recall that a PSer was on the show a few years back. Can't remember who...and I doubt I would have recognized her on the show even if I saw that particular episode. Love the show, BTW...it's somewhat of an indulgent girly guilty pleasure, but I just loved wedding dress shopping and take every opportunity to relive it.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I've been there. I wasn't impressed. I don't like people picking dresses for me. I want to look through the stacks myself.
 

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
1,245
I considered going, the wait for an appointment is redic, though. Like 2/3 months in advance
 

audball

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
4,946
Gypsy|1358750824|3360729 said:
I've been there. I wasn't impressed. I don't like people picking dresses for me. I want to look through the stacks myself.
I kind of agree with this too. How can you know for sure that the one you're wearing is your favorite if you didn't even get to see the other choices?
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,231
audball|1358974772|3362407 said:
Gypsy|1358750824|3360729 said:
I've been there. I wasn't impressed. I don't like people picking dresses for me. I want to look through the stacks myself.
I kind of agree with this too. How can you know for sure that the one you're wearing is your favorite if you didn't even get to see the other choices?
Absolutely agree! That's why I liked David's Bridal, despite their not-so-great reputation.
 

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
1,134
Sarahbear621|1357148309|3345530 said:
My friend that went didnt' have anything to do with the show and loved it. I guess the reason I like the idea of going is because when I went to get my dressing for my wedding. I went by myself to a local shop. Tried on 4 dresses anded up buying 1 that was in my price range and half way decent on me. I didn't love it and I feel like I missed out on the whole experience. I just think it would be so much fun to go through it....hmmmm I'm actually wondering if I should apply for the show! It looks kinds of neat.
I agree with Gypsy and Ame and the others who wouldn't want to actually shop there and buy anything from them. However since in your case it'd be for your vow renewal, I think it would be a blast to go with some girlfriends just for the whole "bridal/pampering experience".

Since you didn't get a chance to do any of that the first time around, I absolutely think you should make a girl's weekend of it, and in between spa treatments & mani/pedi's you could include a couple of hours of champagne and dress-up (they do serve champagne right? :lol: ). You could choose a "DREAM" budget and have a fun afternoon trying on truly over the top DREAM dresses ... I think you and your friends could have a lot of fun.
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
Roxy|1359175659|3363917 said:
Sarahbear621|1357148309|3345530 said:
My friend that went didnt' have anything to do with the show and loved it. I guess the reason I like the idea of going is because when I went to get my dressing for my wedding. I went by myself to a local shop. Tried on 4 dresses anded up buying 1 that was in my price range and half way decent on me. I didn't love it and I feel like I missed out on the whole experience. I just think it would be so much fun to go through it....hmmmm I'm actually wondering if I should apply for the show! It looks kinds of neat.
I agree with Gypsy and Ame and the others who wouldn't want to actually shop there and buy anything from them. However since in your case it'd be for your vow renewal, I think it would be a blast to go with some girlfriends just for the whole "bridal/pampering experience".

Since you didn't get a chance to do any of that the first time around, I absolutely think you should make a girl's weekend of it, and in between spa treatments & mani/pedi's you could include a couple of hours of champagne and dress-up (they do serve champagne right? :lol: ). You could choose a "DREAM" budget and have a fun afternoon trying on truly over the top DREAM dresses ... I think you and your friends could have a lot of fun.

Thanks Roxy that is kinda of how I feel about it and I love the idea of doing a girls weekend of dress shopping and spa treatments. You have given me so many ideas on this!!!!
 

alma123

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
71
I was at the Kleinfeld's sample sale today. They have these like 4 times a year in NYC. I had very low expectations but was curious to see what it was like. First of all, I'm a size 00 and I knew all their sample dresses are size 10. Many complicated dresses cannot be size down that much. Also, I wanted a dress with sleeves so I knew my choices were limited.

The event opens at 3pm. I got there at almost 4 pm and was given a number. I came back at 5 pm and got in line for about 30 more minutes. They are very organized, a bridal consultant helped me and another bridee in the same fitting room. I actually found 3 dresses with long lacy sleeves, so their selection was not too bad. I found one I loved but it was not marked down 65% like the advertisements boasted. It was originally $3200 now $2000. The bridal consultant said alternations would cost $700-$1000 so I may as well buy the dress full price in my size. She said she could order it for me (but the point of this sample sale was to save money!)

I saw a lot of girls coming out with dresses. Even though I didn't buy, I had fun trying on the dresses. I would say overall it exceeded my expectations and definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.
 

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
690
ok...first let me say that while I occasionally lurk on PS, I don't think I have bothered to make a post in over a year (last time was probably when I told everyone I was pregnant, and my son is now 6 months old! lol). So for me to feel so compelled to respond to your post should say something ;-)

I bought my dress from Klienfelds. HATTTTEEDDD every single minute of my experience. I only went there because they exclusively carried the designer I wanted (Pnina Tornai). First appointment, waited about 30 minutes before getting seen. Then got rushed through my appointment. Wasn't able to look for dresses, got handed dresses I never would have wanted to try on. Then, got bullied into buying a dress. Changed my mind when I left, canceled the order, they keep the deposit as a "credit", now forced to use them moving forward.

Found a different dress at a different location (which for the record, Bridal Reflections in NYC is WAYYYY better of an experience. Better ambiance, better staff, better dressing rooms, they didn't rush me, everything was better, but please note that the least expensive dress there is $3,000 so if you are working with a budget,it may not be an option). Went back to Klienfelds to order it from them since I was stuck with the credit. Thought all was good. Wrong....

They ordered the wrong color dress....and because I planned my entire wedding in 5 months, there wasn't enough time to get the right color. It didn't match the $3,000 veil I had bought from Bridal Reflections, had to get a new one. The swaroski buttons going down the back of the dress weren't there. Flipped out on them, they "found buttons in alterations" (not the ones I wanted) and put them on instead, then had the audacity to try and charge me for them . The chick fitting me insisted I order a size 10 (I am a size 0-2) because of my chest (which granted, I know they order based on the largest part of your body), but when it came it was so obnoxiously big, I had to go for three, 2-hour fittings, they cut away half of the dress, and it STILL did not fit me right on my wedding day.

I will leave out the obscenities exchanged with the alterations department every time I went there and the sheer loathing I feel towards particular members of the staff there, but will say that there was no remorse, no apology, no compensation on their part. My fittings which should have been joyful were filled with tears, and more use of the f-word than I care to admit ;-)

In the end, did I like the way I looked? Yes. Did I love my dress (despite it not fitting perfectly), yes. I loved it and everything looked beautiful. But, would I EVER go back to Kleinfelds? %$#@ NO! :)
 

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to share your experience! I know it has definitely helped me! I was in lurking when you go married and remembered how stunning your dress was and how happy your were. Thanks for the back story to it!
I want my dress custom made, but not before I gave Kleinfled's a shot. Guess I won't now! lol
 

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
536
NakedFinger, your story is just awful!

I'm glad you were ultimately pleased with how you looked on your wedding day (that's the important part!), but dress shopping is supposed to be a joyful experience. That just sucks.

My brother's girlfriend's (hopefully FSIL!) sister works there. I should ask her about it sometime.
 

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
2,883
CaprineSun|1360458641|3376422 said:
Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to share your experience! I know it has definitely helped me! I was in lurking when you go married and remembered how stunning your dress was and how happy your were. Thanks for the back story to it!
I want my dress custom made, but not before I gave Kleinfled's a shot. Guess I won't now! lol
I think you should get your dress custom made...so I can drool/dream about it!!!! :naughty:

NakedFinger that is awful! I can't believe there could be so many screw-ups...it sounds like you had a great attitude about it all at least with how you felt on your big day.
 

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
pandabee|1360534611|3376925 said:
CaprineSun|1360458641|3376422 said:
Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to share your experience! I know it has definitely helped me! I was in lurking when you go married and remembered how stunning your dress was and how happy your were. Thanks for the back story to it!
I want my dress custom made, but not before I gave Kleinfled's a shot. Guess I won't now! lol
I think you should get your dress custom made...so I can drool/dream about it!!!! :naughty:

NakedFinger that is awful! I can't believe there could be so many screw-ups...it sounds like you had a great attitude about it all at least with how you felt on your big day.
I am really planning to at this point. :bigsmile: Only thing is, since I'm not yet engaged, I can't really move forward! So, I really hope one of the 2 designers is still available by the time I am! ;( I have the money ready & everything.
 

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
3,689
It's been a few years but I was not a fan. Granted I was living in NYC so it was more for convenience. FIrst of all it's a zoo, tons of brides to be and their entourage and a good portion were in bridezilla mode.
You are figuratively and literally a number so you will wait your turn and then be ready for the SALES push. First question will be, what is your budget? Then when you are in the dressing room, it is constant knocking or they just go ahead and stick their head in. I found the dresses to be overpriced.

Really wasn't my style, but could just be me. I preferred teh smaller boutiques and sample sales in the garment district.
 

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
2,883
CaprineSun|1361841656|3390424 said:
pandabee|1360534611|3376925 said:
CaprineSun|1360458641|3376422 said:
Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to share your experience! I know it has definitely helped me! I was in lurking when you go married and remembered how stunning your dress was and how happy your were. Thanks for the back story to it!
I want my dress custom made, but not before I gave Kleinfled's a shot. Guess I won't now! lol
I think you should get your dress custom made...so I can drool/dream about it!!!! :naughty:

NakedFinger that is awful! I can't believe there could be so many screw-ups...it sounds like you had a great attitude about it all at least with how you felt on your big day.
I am really planning to at this point. :bigsmile: Only thing is, since I'm not yet engaged, I can't really move forward! So, I really hope one of the 2 designers is still available by the time I am! ;( I have the money ready & everything.
:cheeky: :cheeky: whoo!!!! Who else are you considering having a custom gown made by?
 

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
369
I went a few years back.
First, you have to book an appointment far in advance and post a credit card so they can charge you $50 if you cancel or no show.
The main room is pretty fancy, but I'd say the regular dressing rooms were nothing special. If you were only with a friend/mom/MOH, you'd probably just stay in the dressing room.
The prices are very high. You will be severely limited with a budget less than $2500 (and then add on alterations :-o ). There just aren't any dresses below these price points no matter how flexible you are in styles, timing, sizes, etc. I literally tried on 3 dresses and was back on the street!
If I was going to go for a higher end dress, I'd go to the Pronovias flagship store on 53rd or 54th Street. They were absolutely wonderful. There was a great dress there with yards and yards of raw ivory silk--but I just couldn't stomach the price tag 8) However, they do include the alterations in the price!
Saks Fifth Avenue also had great higher end selections and options for trunk shows.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top