shape
carat
color
clarity

Kite/Compass/East-West Setting?

KristinBentley

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just pulled the trigger after months of searching and bought a loose diamond (gulp!). Now I need to have it set!

My girlfriend is very specific about what she wants, and it's not easy (for me, at least) to find. I'm looking for a very simple, thin 14k white gold solitaire with a 4-prong compass setting (or kite, or east-west--it seems like this setting has lots of names!). Ideally, I'd like the stone to sit lower in the ring so it doesn't constantly catch on things, but I'm open. The diamond is .91 carats.

I'm open to having it set by a B&M store locally (East Bay area of California) or working with an online store if there's a reputable one someone knows of that has this particular setting. The one's I've been able to find all seem very thick and bulky, or have a curly/twisted design element I don't think she'd like.

I'd love to spend less than $800 if possible.

Any ideas? I've been researching diamonds for so long, I feel a little lost with the setting!

Thank you!

P.S. The attached picture is pretty close to the style I'm looking for.

91a3a8244783a109ad573fa47706005b.jpg

seekingshiny

Rough_Rock
Niel|1464213029|4036261 said:
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/abby-14k-white-gold-5931w14

I think Niel found a nice one! I looked over at WF and didn't see any that fit what you're looking for. Sholdt makes nice settings and many happy PS members have them. Where is your diamond? If it's more convenient for you, you could have a local trusted jeweler order the setting for you and set the diamond also (saves you from shipping the diamond back and forth), but if that doesn't work out, BGD is great also.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464213029|4036261 said:
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/abby-14k-white-gold-5931w14

So pretty! And you can request pretty claw prongs, if you want. It is always best to have the diamond seller set the diamond, and second best is to have the setting seller set the stone.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh that Abby solitaire is gorgeous. BGD will set outside stones for a setting fee. You can also see if your jeweler can get Sholdt as another option.

KristinBentley

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone! You're all so helpful! :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristin, in addition to the Stuller rose gold cathedral setting I did recently where I had them turn the vintage white gold scroll basket 90 degrees (thanks Foxinsox!!), I also repurposed my mom's engagement ring from my dad and put my stone in it. They got married in 1960 so engaged sometime before that... this is a collage that I made when I first got my stone set in it (by photocopying the ring on a copier at work !!).

Anyway, this ring is my inspiration for everything I love in rings: a cathedral where the shank actually forms the side prongs, uUnplated white gold, tiny thin band, low profile. Ah... anyway, I don't know who the manufacturer is, all the hallmarks were smoothed away from the years my mom wore this ring before me. But, certainly David Klass or someone could make a replica if you like this style.

nsew-ring.jpg

_37322.jpg

_37323.jpg

Classique

Rough_Rock
How exciting to see that my bridal set has a twin! Most people, even jewelers, are immediately enthralled by this classic, elegant set.

On the inside of my engagement ring is stamped 14k-105. Not sure if the 105 has any significance. Also, my mother says that my late father purchased the ring at Zales back in around 1960.

Do you have the matching two-stone wedding band? If you're interested, I can send you photos of the wedding band while interlocked with the engagement ring and also separately in case you want to have one like it made to match your engagement ring.

Your photos are a great comfort to me as I contemplate how to restore the ring's classic glory: Unfortunately, my ring was vandalized by an inept/thieving jeweler who actually scraped and gouged gold within and around the shank openings and the inner prong surfaces instead of adding to take it up only one size. He left me with a barely 1 mm band and also left ripple marks on the shank.

If possible, could you post a photo of the engagement ring that shows the top view of the band? There are a couple of jewelers who use lasers and gold wire to restore worn and damaged rings. But they will need to see what the ring should look like in order to restore it.

Regards,

Classique

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I know what you mean. They certainly do seem unique. I did have the two-stone single-cut wedding band as this was also my mom's set. The two tiny stones on the band straddled the south prong. For my first marriage, we melted that band down to make a different thicker band, using the two stones and adding two more. Then had the two soldered together. The original band was never soldered and it didn't have a "connection device." Due to rubbing for decades, was probably less than 1mm --very thin!! I do not wear the band we had made with this marriage, though I did repurpose the engagement ring with a stone from my now hubby. I have several bands that wear it with now.
Here are a bunch of pics I just took today of the engagement ring. I'll look for the wedding band we made for it in 1992.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pics.

IMG_5027.JPG IMG_5028.JPG IMG_5029.JPG IMG_5030.JPG IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5032.JPG IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5034.JPG

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I was thinking the 1.05 stamped on your ring could be the carat weight of he original diamond. Not sure, of course, but some jewelry is marked that way. Mine has NO markings as my mom wore it for 30 years, then I wore it for 10, before it sat in a drawer for 11 more til it met its new stone. I've been wearing it on and off (because I like to rotate engagement rings) for the last seven years.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha so here's the band we had made in 1992ish using the gold and two of the original single-Cut diamonds. The original band was about the width of just one side of the channel. I wish I had a picture of the original band, it was so delicate and looked like little stars. This one is WAY thicker, but apparently best fits my pinky.

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results