shape
carat
color
clarity

Key to Symbols - From the GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I emailed the GIA about the Key to Symbols list since a few posters here had some questions about it. This was their response:

Yes the inclusions at the top of the list impact the stone the most. From top to bottom we go highest impact to lowest impact on the clarity.

Gemological Institute of America (GIA)

jackoh5225

Rough_Rock
Based on the information you have from GIA should I worry about a VS2 Round Diamond Triple Excellent having a CAVITY as a second of the 4 listed items? It is listed as follow by GIA under "KEY TO SYMBOLS" :

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
Cavity
Cloud
Needle

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
If you are concerned there are probably other options for less, equal to or a tad more for the same budgeting...get the top 4 or 5 options and then eliminate based off report info...then you''ll be getting the best "right" gem for your dough...

Marty
CEO/Pres
www.diamondsatcost.com
www.dbsdiamonds.com

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 2:40:56 PM
Author: jackoh5225
Based on the information you have from GIA should I worry about a VS2 Round Diamond Triple Excellent having a CAVITY as a second of the 4 listed items? It is listed as follow by GIA under ''KEY TO SYMBOLS'' :

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
Cavity
Cloud
Needle

Probably not since its still a VS2 but as Marty said, there is probably many stones with your specs that do not have "Cavity" listed as something that has impacted their clarity rating. This was you can also have a mind clean stone.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/5/2008 2:40:56 PM
Author: jackoh5225
Based on the information you have from GIA should I worry about a VS2 Round Diamond Triple Excellent having a CAVITY as a second of the 4 listed items? It is listed as follow by GIA under 'KEY TO SYMBOLS' :

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
Cavity
Cloud
Needle

Every diamond is different. Every inclusion is different.

It may be

Big scary prominent black center-table crystal
Ugly jagged girdle-reaching cavity
Gigantic dense centered cloud
Extremely long and grouchy needle

Or it could be

Small transparent under-bezel crystal
Tiny harmless pavilion-reaching cavity
Small sparse off-center cloud
Short unobtrusive and cheerful needle

The overall clarity grade will imply a level of severity; at least for the grade-setting inclusion (in this case the crystal). If clarity is I or SI the primary inclusion will tend to be of greater significance than VS level, for example. Diamonds are like snowflakes, and every inclusion in every diamond has different implications.

Seeing a clarity plot can help to a degree but the best analysis is done by a trained pro with the diamond in-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results