shape
carat
color
clarity

Keratin hair treatments?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is naturally brown and straight. As I've aged, it's become a little wavy (unless I blow dry it) and noticeably gray. I live in a seasonally humid area and as of the last couple of years the humidity makes my hair look like a puffy brillo pad even after I blow dry it. Not a good look! My stylist said a keratin treatment will prevent my hair from becoming a frizzy mess and it will look the same as if I blow dried it on a non-humid day. She said most of her customers get it done once a year, in March, and it lasts through the fall. She didn't really have a response when I asked about formaldehyde.

Other than perms back in the day and a semi-permanent wash-out dye for my wedding years ago, I haven't had any hair treatments so I'm a little nervous.

I would appreciate any input PSers have about keratin treatments in general and the brand my salon uses, SalonTech.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I do not have any experience with keratin hair treatments ... but I have lots of experience with frizzy hair! Air-drying, blowdrying, with or without products, always left me with frizzy hair.

What worked for me is: DevaCurl's Wave Maker Touchable Texture Texture Whip. I had received some DevaCurl samples from Sephora and finally got around to trying the Wave Maker Touchable Texture Texture Whip -- it was life-changing in the sense my frizzy hair was essentially gone; my hair looked much smoother and shinier yet still had body. FWIW I also use a Goody Start ceramic brush (this one, apparently no longer available at least on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/d/Hair-Brushes/Goody-Styling-Essentials-Start-Finish/B0055Y9SYA

From the name and description of the DevaCurl product, I would never have guessed it would have worked to eliminate/drastically cut down frizz in my hair. It works best when I blowdry my hair, but I've also used it with airdrying and it does leave me with better/less frizzy hair. Hope this may be helpful!

I am sure others will come in to post about their Keratin experiences!

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a keratin treatment. I’ve gotten a few. In my experience, the first one was the best. Subsequent treatments haven’t worked as well, wonder if she changed solutions...What’s nice is it’s not pin straight like the Japanese straightening methods I have tried and not as flat.
I have frizzy hair in the humidity too but have combatted it with products (oils, since my hair can take them) and a good straightening iron. I also do not wash my hair as often and use sulfate free shampoos only. It’s a struggle I know well.
Oh and get your color before the treatment as it helps it last longer. And you will need sulfate free shampoo. Drug stores sell them now too.
Good luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have gotten both the long and rapid treatments. The long treatment worked better IMHO but you cannot wash your hair for 72 hours. You cannot put it in a ponytail either because it will leave a mark. It gets really, really bad. Since I started working, I just can't. The quick one you only have to wait 8 hours. Sulfate free hair products are a must! I haven't gotten the treatment in awhile but my mom still gets it religiously. I would totally recommend it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The brand they use is Brazilian Blowout. I have been doing them off and on for close to a decade. No issues at all.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that the expertise and technique of the stylist makes a huge difference. When I lived in the south, humidity was awful. The boutique salon that I was going to started offering The Keratin Complex treatment. It was very expensive ($400 this was 9 years ago), it took her like 4-41/2 hours to do because she would apply it in teeny tiny sections and then after it processes she would again use the straightening iron working on teeny tiny sections at a time. You had to leave it straight without washing for 72 hours and I had to return to the salon to have her do the first shampoo and blow-out. It was amazing!!! I really mean it, it worked so well that I was getting it done 2-3 times a year on my long hair. It didn't make it completely straight and I still had to blow-it out, but it went so much faster, was more cooperative when styling and air-drying and felt and looked a million time healthier.

Flash forward to when we moved, I had a formaldehyde free express treatment. - It didn't work and my hair felt awfully damaged for a while after. I did find a reputable salon and stylist, (that I still go to) that does the Keratin Complex treatment. At first I was elated that she only charged $200. But that should have set off alarm bells for me. It was not the same application process. I know she used the correct product, because I saw the bottles, but it was very rushed application. She applied it to larger areas and did the straightening in large areas. I not sure if the product changed over the years that had passed or if it was her technique, but it really didn't take the last time.

I really wish that I could find another place that would do it like my original salon. My hair felt so healthy and silky smooth for months after the treatments.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The brand they use is Brazilian Blowout. I have been doing them off and on for close to a decade. No issues at all.

My daughter had a lot of breakage with this one, so she has chosen not to get another one.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions, @marymm, @Sandeek, @Tacori E-ring, @Octo2005 and @whitewave! The success stories are encouraging and the mishaps are a little unnerving.

Before reading the comments and doing a little research based on them, I didn't realize the effect sulfates in shampoo had on hair. Since I would have to use sulfate-free shampoo after getting a keratin treatment, I think I will try that before getting the treatment and see if it suffices. If that doesn't solve the problem, I can get the treatment and I'll already have the shampoo.

@marymm, I checked out the DevaCurl whip product and it's sulfate free, so maybe that's why it works so well. Reviews indicate it's too heavy for fine hair, so I'll find another brand. The brush you linked to is intriguing. Probably time to switch up from my old vent brush.

The SalonTech treatment my stylist uses only requires waiting 8 hours, but good to know about not putting in a ponytail afterwards. Without the warning, I would likely twist it and put it in a hair clip. What a mess that would leave!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ mary poppins, I also have fine hair, and I use just a very tiny bit of the Whip product ... like I said above, I was very very surprised the product worked for me so well; had I not had a free product sample I would never have tried it.

I also use sulfate-free shampoos (though I do use a clarifying shampoo probably 2-3 times a month), and this is the hairdryer I use: https://www.sephora.com/product/mini-blast-ionic-blow-dryer-P431860

I think you are wise to try sulfate-free shampoos prior to any keratin treatment - good luck with finding what works best for you and your hair!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you using the deva curl whip product, are you wearing your hair straight? What do you use for conditioner?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it once, I did not like the stick straight look. I cut my hair short and have embraced the curl :)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I do not have any experience with keratin hair treatments ... but I have lots of experience with frizzy hair! Air-drying, blowdrying, with or without products, always left me with frizzy hair.

What worked for me is: DevaCurl's Wave Maker Touchable Texture Texture Whip. I had received some DevaCurl samples from Sephora and finally got around to trying the Wave Maker Touchable Texture Texture Whip -- it was life-changing in the sense my frizzy hair was essentially gone; my hair looked much smoother and shinier yet still had body. FWIW I also use a Goody Start ceramic brush (this one, apparently no longer available at least on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/d/Hair-Brushes/Goody-Styling-Essentials-Start-Finish/B0055Y9SYA

From the name and description of the DevaCurl product, I would never have guessed it would have worked to eliminate/drastically cut down frizz in my hair. It works best when I blowdry my hair, but I've also used it with airdrying and it does leave me with better/less frizzy hair. Hope this may be helpful!

I am sure others will come in to post about their Keratin experiences!

This is just a heads up on Deva Curl - I used several of their products (including the no-poo cleanser) and I had dramatic hair loss as a result. I'd say my hair lost about half of it's thickness (I have VERY thick hair). I stopped using it and it grew back, mostly. I am in my early 40s, so I know thinning hair is normal, but this was crazy.

I will say that I am THE ONLY person I know of this happening to with Deva Curl. Lots of people had issues with WEN, but no one I've ever spoken to has had anything bad to say about Deva Curl. Maybe my scalp just didn't like it? What a shame, because it REALLY took away my frizz.

I haven't had Keratin, but I also want to try it, so thank you for starting this thread! Following.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two Brazilian Blowouts last year. I have curly 2C very frizzy fine hair but quite a lot of it, and I didn't understand what people said about the BB not making the hair completely straight. It made mine stick-straight! It worked, but I felt it made it too flat and thin-looking.

However, I had a bad experience the second time. To this day, I'm not sure if it was because the first treatment sensitized me to formaldehyde or if it was because the stylist slapped it onto my head as if she was throwing paint at a wall (my hair was REALLY frizzy the way I went, due to rain) and not only did I get chemical burns all over my scalp, my forehead and eyes swelled up and I had to get steroids at the ER. I can post pics if you want!! The salon did give me my money back, but I was stuck with the ER bill.

The ER doc said that sometimes, the first contact with the chemical can sensitize you, and you then react the second time.

Weirdly, I have never had a single reaction to any other chemical in my life. I'll never know if the stylist just overdid it, because I'm too scared to try it a third time. BB is really the only solution to my frizz in the summer. So in summertime now, I just have to embrace my curl.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use DevaCurl products and have had no issues.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use DevaCurl products and have had no issues.

I’m the only one! I even saved my products and gave them to my cousin because they are so expensive and they really do work - I couldn’t throw them out.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deva is good, but definitely not failsafe. I found their lo-poo shampoo dried my hair out and made it like straw. BUT, their "One" range is beautiful - the milk cleanser and conditioner make my hair so silky. I also like the strong weekly deep cleanser. I think the styling gels are also good - they give hold without crunch - and I have their micro-fiber hair towel and their hand-shaped diffuser. I've been happy with all these products but am a little wary since that shampoo dried my hair out.

A brand that I haven't gone wrong with is Drybar. Love all the products of theirs that I've tried, and their tools.

Glad you didn't throw the Deva products away. They are definitely too expensive for that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results