shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping your cool it work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
As I drove to work this morning the radio station announced the Britain was being hit by a heatwave and employers were being asked to relax their dress code for employees during the hot weather.

This usually means if you have to dress formal, you would be allowed to take your tie off!

So my question is....what do you guys in the US consider to be acceptable atire for work in the hot weather....and please state what your proffession is?

I think that our lady in the mail room might have taken it a bit too far!
31.gif

bot.jpg

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My office usally has "summer casual", but it has to be stated by HR every year, and we have to wait until they announce it. We''re a non-profit so we tend to be a bit more laid-back anyway, but acceptable attire for us is capri pants, skirts, jeans, etc... but NO shorts and no itty-bitty mini skirts. We can''t wear tank tops unless we have something over it but we can wear sleeveless. We can wear t-shirts, and that''s what most of the guys wear, t-shirts and jeans, or khakis. We CAN wear sandals and flip-flops, which is a HUGE perk. The big thing is we aren''t allowed to show "too much skin". HR decides how much is too much.

I really appreciate that we can wear pretty much anything, but still manage to pull it together somewhat because most of my capris and skirts are rather nice and I don''t like wearing jeans when it''s 95 degrees outside!

During the rest of the year, we''re business casual, with jeans on Fridays, so this isn''t a HUGE stretch for us to go summer casual. I''d hate having a job where I had to wear a suit. I work in IT, so most of the time I''m just sitting around, or running around the office, or crawling under a desk. I don''t have meetings with clients or anything like that. I do occasionally meet with vendors, but that''s THEIR time to dress up, not mine.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 10:40:29 AM
Author:blodthecat
As I drove to work this morning the radio station announced the Britain was being hit by a heatwave and employers were being asked to relax their dress code for employees during the hot weather.

This usually means if you have to dress formal, you would be allowed to take your tie off!

So my question is....what do you guys in the US consider to be acceptable atire for work in the hot weather....and please state what your proffession is?

I think that our lady in the mail room might have taken it a bit too far!
31.gif
blod

very common here in the US. once the temp hit 100* F, all the men and women go to work naked.
23.gif
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i'm in california in sales and our office is mostly just a hub of offices for salespeople and designers...so we are pretty casual...unless we are going to see a client or a client is coming to our offices, then we tend to dress up more professionally (suit or slacks and a sweater etc)...but 90% of the time in the summer my work attire is something like a flowing skirt, tank top and flip flops, or gauchos, tank top and flip flops, or jeans, tank top and flip flops...i see a recurring pattern here. hehee. i also have sweaters and fleeces and stuff that i wear around the office as our A/C can get a little crazy at work.

greg works in a stricter bigger company and when he first started he used to wear suits to work (he had a ton of them from living and working in the east coast!) but they have relaxed a bit too so now he wears slacks or khakis with a pressed shirt and tie and loafers kinda thing...he hardly wears his real suits anymore! he even has 2 3-piece suits...hehee.

but really both our places of work have A/C units that are always on, so the office doesn't really get affected with the heat wave, UNLESS the power goes out which can happen here in california when it gets this hot and everyrone is runinng A/C all the time. then we have scheduled blackouts which can be fun, not!

today will only be 90, so not so bad!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m lucky since I work for a family-owned (not MY family) company of 5 employees, 2 of which work from home. AND I used to baby-sit for them, so I have a very lax dress code. In fact, since all of our work is done via email or phone, the only people who come in the office are delivery men. I''m a bookkeeper, and I can wear anything. For instance, I''m wearing a Mickey-Mouse t-shirt, tight jeans (kinda uncomfortable in the heat) and pink jogging shoes. I''ve worn flip-flops, platforms, tennis shoes, high heels.. Sweats, yoga pants, skirts, pj bottoms (I was sick), and jeans.. I''ve worn halter tops, tank tops, t-shirts, hoodies, fleece tops and sweaters... I''m very lucky, dress-wise. Especially after coming from a smoothie job where I had to wear a hat and (usually wet from the sink) apron and neon green t-shirt! I''m not the only one who dresses casually, my boss often comes in her tennis whites, which are really neon pink and tiny. My other boss, her brother, wears shorts and tank tops, and leaves to go to the gym every morning. We are usually barefoot, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results