shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping pets cool in the heat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s been quite hot out lately, as we''re all experiencing. I have freaked myself out by reading some internet news stories where they just loooooooove to start panic by using the B word...blackouts.

Having a kitty at home and NO central AC unit...this absolutely terrifies me. The thought that the power could go out while I''m at work at the kitty is boiling inside the house....unthinkable.

How are you guys keeping your pets cool if you don''t have AC? Particularly cats? Most of ''em hate water...so a cool bath is out...!!

I''ve been worried about kitty''s water consumption so I''ve been letting her gorge on wet food instead of dry, so that she''s getting more liquid and staying hydrated. I keep brushing her to thin out her coat (she''s shorthair). We keep fans running but y''know what they say...if the fans are just circulating warm air...it''s more like being in a convection oven than cooling you down!!!
emcat.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I took my poodle Brownie to the groomers and had them give him a very short hair cut. He doesn''t look as cute but at least he is staying much cooler. I also make extra sure there is lots of cool (I say cool because it doesn''t stay cold for too long) water for him too.

FG, could you have her hair cut even shorter?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've thought about getting her hair cut, hlmr! Seriously debated it recently. I actually just called my vet and asked what she thought about that and whether they do it there. They said not to cut her hair cuz it protects them from sun exposure (though she's an indoor cat anyway) and just make sure she's got plenty of water. Said fans help too, and that they'll take care of themselves. If they start panting though, that's cause for concern. I still wonder how they can live in that heat with all that fur!!! Particularly since they can't sweat to cool themselves off!!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

A few random tips about keeping the kitties cool - it''s worked for mine - not sure if it''ll work for others : )
-put a SLIGHTLY damp towel down in one of their favorite spots (for my shy kitty, it''s under my bed)... he of course would hate an actuall bath, but this trick keeps him a little cooler... I never thought he''d go for it, but I can find him there 99% of the time if it''s warm and I''ve remembered to do it! Just need to keep swapping out the towel so it doesn''t get mildewed and nasty
-try moving their bed (or something they like to sleep on) - I put their bed onto the kitchen tile, or the bricks of the fire place. It''s a little cooler there
-keep changing the water often - make sure it''s fresh and cool twice a day... and put out a few extra dishes - maybe one upstairs, one downstairs... at least for mine, I see them drink more often - maybe it''s covenience, or just the suggestion of seeing the water?
-keep shades drawn if you can, but not entirely, so air can come into the apartment...

okay, enough from me : )

Aussiegirl : p

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know i heard the B word today too and thought uh oh (after hearing stories from coworkers who had been without power at intervals all weekend) i hope our power doesn't go out. portia is due for a grooming on Friday and her guy is booked solid i'm sure, so she's kind of bushy and big right now...when we take her out for walks i pour water over her or hose her down on our way out so that she can stay cool with wet fur at least. but i typically take her out at night anyway. anyhow...i am typically only gone from the house for 3-4 hours at a time...so i figured she could make it okay 'in case' anything happened while i was gone today. good news is that tomorrow it'll 'only' be 87 and then it cools down the rest of this week to 80 over the weekend. so hopefully our power shortage will cool it and the B word will cool it for a while too. but i like the wet towel idea etc....i will have to be more resourceful next time we have these heat waves.

oh but you reminded me FG....over the weekend on saturday morning i went to kbox, noting on my way there it was 94 at 9am. so i finish up class, and am heading back out to the car and i hear barking. yipping. i stopped and looked around and thought no way does someone have a dog in the car right now. so sure enough, there's a dog in a car with a 1/4 open window, and the guy was talking to someone outside the car, then goes to get in, so i thought okay he's leaving. wrong, he opens the window for the dog more, 1/2 way now, and closes up the car and goes inside to this noodle house the car was parked in front of. i'm thinking okay he better be getting take out...the car is not parked in the shade (even though there are trees across the parking lot not far away) and he cracked the window for his pup and it's 94 outside. not even 94 in the CAR, but 94 outside. i had no idea what to do!!! i didn't want to leave but i had to get home, so i drove home and all the way back i was thinking i hope that dog is okay. i took heart knowing that the guy, while not parking in shade, had parked right in front of the noodle house, in the first spot outside the door so hopefeully he was getting it to go OR would sit by the window and watch his dog in the car....that way if anything happened to the dog he could come out immediately. this is what i told myself anyway and i also figured well he did open the window more for the dog, and maybe the dog has a bowl of water in the car, who knows. i was trying not to freak myself out. when i got home and told Greg, he said in a situation like that you can call 911 (and read recently somewhere it was recommended) for the police to come and check it out. so i definitely will do that in the future...i said 'not 311?' he said ... 'no 911'. so i guess it's considered a potential crime even if you are not sure what's going on really. in any case, i hope that poor pup is okay but i was steaming mad anyway because i would NEVER NEVER NEVER leave my dog in a hot car like that when it's 94 out at 9am!! and certainly not to go eat breakfast or lunch or whatever! there is a handful of times i have left P in the car, either winter when it's chill out but not too cold...and it's only for 5 minutes or less....OR i did it once this spring and it was 'only 80' out and i had to run in and get fish for dinner but coudln't drive home and come back, i didn't have the time but i had her with me, so i parked in a shady area (or what passed for one), opened two windows for her partway and RAN into the store and ran back out less than 5 minutes later. She of course was fine just sitting there looking at me like 'what are you doing crazy'...but i am sooo paranoid. cars can get very hot, very fast and i have read some horror stories.

anyway i'm rambling now but that whole thing this weekend, some people are SO STUPID. forget having kids, some people shouldn't even own pets!! ! i felt really guilty for not calling the police, even though i didn't know...or saying anything to the guy, but i hope that dog is okay. i keep telling myself i'm sure the guy would not just leave his dog in the car for very long as he seemed like he was at least semi-aware that the dog needed air and to keep cool. but i also thought gosh why not just tie up the pup outside the noodle house. surely that's safer.
40.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 11:44:59 PM
Author: Mara
anyway i'm rambling now but that whole thing this weekend, some people are SO STUPID. forget having kids, some people shouldn't even own pets!! !
My DH was telling me that he heard on the news where some people left their elderly GRANDMOTHER in a car in the heat with the windows just cracked, this past weekend!!!!!! Insane!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was a very sad story here where a diabled guy died in the family''s van, due to the heat. There was a miscommunication between mother and daughter as to who was supposed to take him to day care. The daughter thought her mom took her brother, and the mom thought her daughter took him. He sat in the car for hours in a wheel chair and expired. No charges were filed. But the van sat outside of their house?? Have no words for that. Whenever I see a pet in a car, in very hot weather, I stick around to see if their owner is coming back and try to comfort the pet. If they don''t show up within a reasonable amount of time I call 911, give the location, make of the car etc.. I also go into the store and alert the manager. I get him or her to try and find the owner. I have seen this countless times, people just don''t think. Many are apologetic and some are like what''s the big deal. Ughhh.
15.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
I''ve actually called 911 twice on STUPID, CRUEL people who think the 95+ heat ONLY makes THEM uncomfortable.

1st time I was really nervous doing it, and was a bit scared the cops would think I was a crack-pot, or just over-reacting. But they were incredibly understanding and got the poor Lab mix out of the car before anything terrible happened. As I was leaving (wouldn''t leave until the dog was out), the owner showed up, tried to blow the cops off and leave, and ended up getting like a half hour lecture (with very loud emphasis on certain points) from the cops. Showed me the police takes these things VERY seriously... so don''t be afraid to call!

2nd time was last week during our ''heat wave.'' I only waited about 10 minutes with this - I mean really, it was like 98 out! When the cops showed up it turns out this guy has done the exact same thing before... so charges are being pressed! Yikes!

Keep your eyes open & keep our furry friends safe!

Aussiegirl : p

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh definitely now that I know that calling 911 is okay (I thought the same thing aussie re: the cops wouldn''t take it seriously or would tell me that''s not what 911 is for etc)...I will be definitely using it if necessary. Honestly, I don''t think I have ever seen that before! I was shocked, I had no idea what to do except hope that maybe I was over-reacting and the dude was just getting takeout or something.
15.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and speaking of stupid pet owners, last nite we were out walking Princess P and some woman drives by with a yapping dog in the car..she pulls over, yells at the dog to shut up and then calls out to us to ask if we had seen a lost small brown dog. i said no and she just drives off. i'm like uhh okay...she didn't even tell us where she lived in case we DID see the dog. so she drove around screaming out of her car for the lost dog, and telling the other dog to shut up. the other dog was not even on a leash in the car or anything much less a doggie seatbelt. greg and i were like okay that woman shouldn't even have one dog much less TWO. sheesh.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''m thankful I have a basement. I''m an at home mom, so I can make sure my furbabies are inside where its cooler. If I''m going to be gone all day, i toss kitten & puppers in the basement where its ICE COLD. I usually find my kitty splayed out on the cool tile down there anyway, her food & litter box are down there & I have indoor pet as it is.

But on the super hot days, I take my shepherd outside 3 or 4 times a day and let her play in the sprinkler. She has so much FUR!

And lots and lots of water. If they stay hydrated, they''ll stay safe.

Jeannine

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Can''t say for cats for sure - but I know dog''s pant like we sweat. It''s their way of releasing heat.

I''m not sure there is too much cause for concern in your house. The are in the shade - so to speak - w/ air circulating.

Does your house get *that* hot? Do you have insulating blinds? They really keep the heat in or out.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
My grandparents put their dog in the cellar because its stone lined and cool even in boiling heat. The problem is he doesnt like to rest down there unless we are with him!

My mother''s cat stays in the one air conditioned room with her, and its a basement apt so it stays cool when she leaves...

As for my father''s dogs in LA, basically we put them in the house with the AC on when its too hot. Otherwise they get to lie in the shade with lots of water available.
We haven''t found a solution for them other than to just leave on the AC during the day though...it has just been too hot.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
F&I we don't have central air, and because of the way our apt faces, and the fact that we're on the second floor, we get full on afternoon sun and even with the blinds drawn, it gets and stays hotter in our house than it is outside!!! And since lately it has been quite hot outside....it's been unbearable in the apt. So it has concerned me. Last night and this morning were much better, so if it stays like this, it will be okay.

I know dogs do pant to keep cool, but cats don't normally pant! In 10 years I've never seen Chloe (or any cat ever!) do it once.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Fire- I saw this online and it looks interesting...don't know if cats would use it though...would have to have a sheet over it...you know how cats are! And even in the heat, my cats always seem to end up in the warmest place in the house. Go figure. I'm in queens, NY, and about 5 min from Astoria (where they haven't had power for about 2 weeks..yikes)..been very lucky...with my Scotty's heart condition, I'd have to stay at a hotel...ugh...but maybe this would work in the pinch...if only you can get the cat to use it :) And I think shaving the hair is a good idea regardless of what vet said...your kitty is indoor...! Yes, cat's don't pant. The only time I've seen Scotty pant is when he went into heart failure...that's how I knew something was very very wrong...

Oh, sorry, it's at Grandinroad.com

cooler.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My pal called me last night and told me she was giving her two cats the damp towel cuddle--they seemed to actually appreciate it! (yes, Tigger, the 16 pound orange tabby did too!) Poor hairy beasts in this heat
emcat.gif

cheers--Sharon

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, this was on the AP wire today...

Va. Woman Faces Charges in Bird''s Death

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 25, 2006
Filed at 11:39 a.m. ET

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- A woman whose pet cockatoo died after it was left in a sweltering car while she went to a movie has been charged with animal cruelty.

Moviegoers told police they saw the bird, which appeared distressed, in the back of the car Saturday afternoon, police spokesman Jim Shelhorse said. They alerted theater staff who called the police.

By the time police opened the car, the bird was dead in its cage, Shelhorse said.

Donia Monique Brooks, 25, was charged with cruelty to animals, a misdemeanor that can bring up to a year in prison.

Shelhorse said a window in the car had been left open about an inch, but the temperature outside was 90 degrees and the heat index was about 97.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD! why would anyone leave a bird in their CAR while they went to a movie?!?!?!?! that is just insane!
29.gif

i love that thing you posted mmm...pretty cool. we have tile floors in our kitchen and when P is super hot she usually lays out flat on the tile belly down...i thought another idea would be to get something like a bag of ice to lay on the tile or flooring, and let it cool the tile down for 30 minutes then the dog/cat could lay on the cold surface if the power went out or something. when we have parties and use our ice bucket/tub, the tile stays super cold for hours after the tub is gone from the floor. just random thoughts! i don''t know if P would lay on a cold or wet towel, she''s kind of picky.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. I want to beat the woman who had the cockatoo. Better yet, let her sit in the car like the bird did. Those birds outlive HUMANS - they''re parrots after all, and can live well past 80 years!!! I have wanted one forever...they''re the sweetest - love to cuddle. I worked in a pet store when I was younger and I''d walk around the store with the cockatoo on my shoulder. The thing would cuddle in my neck all day. So I want to hurt that woman who left the poor bird in the car.
emangry.gif

2. I love that thing MMM! Will have to check that out. I can''t understand myself why Chloe is still hiding under the bed - in the hottest room in the apt - on a carpet floor! Why not lay on the tile in the kitchen?!?!? My parents'' cats literally splay themselves across the grate on the floor where the central AC comes out. It''s the funniest thing. Maybe Chloe is a little slow.

3. I might have to try the wet towel hug. Don''t know if she''d hate me more or appreciate it.
2.gif
She sure is appreciating the wet food she''s privy to at all times right now!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe is an indoor dog so she''s stays in temps around 72 degrees
20.gif
. i don''t know what we''d do if we lost power, i''d probably take her to my parents or another family member or friend who did have power. I''ve been getting up at 5:30 am to walk her b/c it''s way to hot by 8 or 9 here too. it''s been way to hot to take her to the dog park too and i feel horrible that she hasn''t gotten her normal running in. our yard is fenced but it''s not the same as the acres at the dog park. the one day it finally cooled down it also rained which means muddy mess so still a no go. I can''t wait until fall
41.gif

oh and mara, i can''t stand to see pets locked in cars. i read that whenever the temp. is 70 degrees it can get over 100 in your car in about 5 minutes. I''ve never left zoe in the car in the summer time at all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t imagine what that woman was thinking, obviously she wasn''t thinking. We have a cockatiel and she is the sweetest bird ever. That story is so sad.
15.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock

AmandaPanda – I was thinking about posting that story as I was reading this thread… it happened in my home town

38.gif
Local news story

Luckily I have never come across a pet in a car on a hot day… I will have to remember to call 911 if I ever do…

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is an old thread, but I was reading my hometown paper today and came across the punishment for the woman who left the bird in her car while at the movies... a $100 fine!
14.gif
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Turns out she is a winner all around though... she made the paper today for stealing from her employer. Link

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 4:05:33 PM
Author: njc
I know this is an old thread, but I was reading my hometown paper today and came across the punishment for the woman who left the bird in her car while at the movies... a $100 fine!
14.gif
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Turns out she is a winner all around though... she made the paper today for stealing from her employer. Link
29.gif
A hundred dollars?!? Maybe if that came with an all expense paid trip to a boiling car on a hot day herself. She sure is a superstar.
14.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
In case someone does a search next year...and before I forget...
Rabbits are a bit touchier about heat than cats, but here is what I have learned/used from a mailing list I belong too...
Freeze 2 litre bottles of water and put them out for the animal to lay against....use Chillows, or the gel inserts for the K9 Keeper Sleeper for them to rest on, marble slabs stay 10 degrees cooler than surrounding air, and they can rest on those too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results