shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping cool in summer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does everyone do to keep cool in summer time? I''m OK with heat alone, but when the humidity level reaches the 70%, 80% and 90% range like it is now in New York, even our room air conditioners don''t seem to be enough to bring relief. Everything is so sticky.

I''m counting the days until the end of September.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think keeping the air moving is the biggest thing in hot muggy weather. If it''s really bad I''ll couple my ac with a fan. I usually try to stay in one spot with lots of cold beverages, ice and popsicles.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now we have all the windows open. In a few hours, I'm taking the boys swimming at a 1 1/2 hour "open swim" at an indoor pool.

A few days back I went to turn on the a/c and discovered we do not have it!!! This is the first house in over 4 years that we've lived in w/out it! Eh, my poor fish. I had to put a fan on their tank and stick ice cubes in it
7.gif
An aquarium chiller is over $400! We've only had one of them for two weeks and the other for less than a week. I'm thinking they may not recover from the stress. One even swam backward yesterday
7.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
This year i paid a little extra to buy an A/C with the Dehumidator setting, it makes a world of difference in my muggy apartment. I live in NH and its soooo humid here right now...

unfortunately, there is not much to keep cool. i do take a shower after dinner so I feel better. the less sticky i feel, the cooler I feel.
It''s so gross, I feel your pain too!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 1:09:55 PM
Author: Amethyste
This year i paid a little extra to buy an A/C with the Dehumidator setting, it makes a world of difference in my muggy apartment. I live in NH and its soooo humid here right now...

unfortunately, there is not much to keep cool. i do take a shower after dinner so I feel better. the less sticky i feel, the cooler I feel.
I never heard of that but it sounds like a really great idea to have a dehumidifier built into your air conditioner.
Can I ask what company makes them? because if we don''t get central air installed before next summer, these old AC units are definitely going and will be replaced with something with newer features.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:14:47 PM
Author: gemgirl

It's so gross, I feel your pain too!
I never heard of that but it sounds like a really great idea to have a dehumidifier built into your air conditioner.
Can I ask what company makes them? because if we don't get central air installed before next summer, these old AC units are definitely going and will be replaced with something with newer features.
Gemgirl, believe it or not, i bought mine at Walmart and the brand is an " Haier " it was likw $275 I believe and i has about 7,000 BTU if i remember correctly.
It works like a charm. It's not the most quiet AC out there, but as long as it does the job, I am all set :) I also have an oscillating fan running close to my ac so it distribute the cool air around.
I hope this helps. :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

You do???? I''m grew up there and I just moved away. I miss it!

Anyway, to the question at hand...

We always have our AC running and like HH, we keep lots of cold beverages and cold treats on hand.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amethyste- if you don''t mind my asking, where in NH are you? I grew up in Hanover.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:23:38 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Amethyste- if you don''t mind my asking, where in NH are you? I grew up in Hanover.

Holla girls :)
35.gif

I live in close to Portsmouth ( 10 mins away in Newmarket ) I REALLY love it here. It''s a beautiful area and oh.. in the fall, NH explodes with the most beautiful colors. I really feel at home here. :)

April20

Ideal_Rock
It''s been a pretty mild summer as far as summer in Atlanta goes- high 80s to low 90s on average. Still hot, but not as beastly as it can be. I live in the AC. We try not to do outdoor activities/chores in the middle of the day- we stick to early morning or late afternoon. It''s really not smart to be out in the middle of the day here- heat stroke here you come if you do.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:34:43 PM
Author: April20
It''s been a pretty mild summer as far as summer in Atlanta goes- high 80s to low 90s on average. Still hot, but not as beastly as it can be. I live in the AC. We try not to do outdoor activities/chores in the middle of the day- we stick to early morning or late afternoon. It''s really not smart to be out in the middle of the day here- heat stroke here you come if you do.

... and then again, i still see these people sweating their a$$es off jogging/running at 1pm in the 90F + blazing sun! I just dont get it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Ceiling fans.

That, and a Sonic Mocha Java Chiller now and then.
30.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
We''re in an apartment, and I''ve been calling the rental office for over 2 months now about our AC - it won''t cool below 72-degrees, which isn''t horrible, but it''s not taking the moisture out of the air. So, the humidity level is 78%, exactly what it is outside - ugh! If I take a shower at night, my towel isn''t even dry by morning. The technician is here now to replace some part, so I''m really hoping that will work. Also, the AC runs constantly, so even though last month was relatively cool and dry, our bill was over $200 for an 1150sf apartment. So in the meantime, we''re doing lots of grilling (no oven!), popsicles, and swimming.

S

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Dressing in loose, lightweight cotton tops and using a fan like H&H just said.

Date: 7/28/2009 1:19:54 PM

Gemgirl, believe it or not, i bought mine at Walmart and the brand is an '' Haier '' it was likw $275 I believe and i has about 7,000 BTU if i remember correctly.
It works like a charm. It''s not the most quiet AC out there, but as long as it does the job, I am all set :) I also have an oscillating fan running close to my ac so it distribute the cool air around.

I have the same one... love it! It''s also an energy saver :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:29:56 PM

35.gif

I live in close to Portsmouth ( 10 mins away in Newmarket ) I REALLY love it here. It''s a beautiful area and oh.. in the fall, NH explodes with the most beautiful colors. I really feel at home here. :)
I used to live on the seacoast too (and my husband and I met at Breaking New Grounds). Small world. : )
35.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:54:38 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

Date: 7/28/2009 1:29:56 PM

35.gif

I used to live on the seacoast too (and my husband and I met at Breaking New Grounds). Small world. : )
35.gif

oh My!!! I met my husband on myspace lol. He moved here from Germany and he loves it here so far. He mumbles a little about the snow, but we live north, what else can you expect hehe. Do you come here to visit sometimes? I''d love to meet you !

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 1:52:24 PM
Author: swedish bean

Date: 7/28/2009 1:19:54 PM

Gemgirl, believe it or not, i bought mine at Walmart and the brand is an '' Haier '' it was likw $275 I believe and i has about 7,000 BTU if i remember correctly.
It works like a charm. It''s not the most quiet AC out there, but as long as it does the job, I am all set :) I also have an oscillating fan running close to my ac so it distribute the cool air around.

I have the same one... love it! It''s also an energy saver :)

Yes!! I love this AC. Not only it is an energy saver, it was also a great money saver too :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m calling you in hangout so we don''t keep threadjacking. : )

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
i love taking lots of shower...esp with being with 2 babies all day long, i go thru changes of clothes like they do diapers...and i keep the ac on all day in every room! i start with a lukewarm shower then slowly colder and cold in the end....and when i put my hair up i use cold water and its just so refreshing!

stay cool everyone!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 12:59:28 PM
Author:gemgirl
What does everyone do to keep cool in summer time? I''m OK with heat alone, but when the humidity level reaches the 70%, 80% and 90% range like it is now in New York, even our room air conditioners don''t seem to be enough to bring relief. Everything is so sticky.

Cali here i come?? yesterday was 104* here,but dry heat. i can''t take the humidity
14.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I so feel you, April20! I live in St. Pete, Fl and it''s very very humid here. My dogs and I stay indoors around the hours of 11a-5p. On the weekends when we go to the dogparks, we actually go at 8a, because normally I''m up by 730a even though I wish I could sleep in. And we only stay at the very latest, until 9a. By then it gets way too hot for them, and I''d like to keep them from overheating.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 2:06:43 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/28/2009 12:59:28 PM
Author:gemgirl

Cali here i come?? yesterday was 104* here,but dry heat. i can''t take the humidity
14.gif
DF, where are you?

Last month it was hot but we had no humidity and we were still able to go about our normal day, do normal things, we even went fishing a few times and I wasn''t miserable. The humidity stinks!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 3:01:25 PM
Author: Luckyeshe

I so feel you, April20! I live in St. Pete, Fl and it''s very very humid here. My dogs and I stay indoors around the hours of 11a-5p. On the weekends when we go to the dogparks, we actually go at 8a, because normally I''m up by 730a even though I wish I could sleep in. And we only stay at the very latest, until 9a. By then it gets way too hot for them, and I''d like to keep them from overheating.
My dogs have been very unhappy with this humidity because they LOVE being outside and playing in the yard. Now their just antsy. They want to go out, five minutes later they want to come in. And that repeats all day, the poor babies. I wish I could explain to them that we''ve got the worst month of the year ahead of us.

I keep an extra water bowl outside for them that I refill very often and I float lots of ice chips in it. They love crunching on ice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results