shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep? Return? Antique ring

jelyse

Rough_Rock
I finally received the antique ring that I took a chance on and bought online. To my untrained eye, it looked beautiful, and then.. A CHIP! A chip on the corner! I had been thinking that maybe my boyfriend could get it reset in a simple solitaire as an engagement ring, but now I'm not sure if I should keep it or return it.. Up close it doesn't look as symmetrical but maybe that could be hidden by a prong? Or maybe it could be smoothed out by a good jeweller? I thought the price I paid was pretty good (about $1600 Canadian in total for approximately 0.70 according to the seller) but now I just don't know what I should do!

Any insights would be super awesome. Thank you!
img_0852.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jelyse. :wavey: I am NO expert compared to the many wayyyy more knowledgeable members of this site, but I'm going to take a stab, and will certainly defer to others who may chime in where our information may differ.

I do think at first glance the ring & diamond that you bought appear pretty; I just don't want that to be misinterpreted as "I think it's fine and the chip won't matter," or "you got a great deal", etc. because I cannot determine those things. The diamond *appears* to be an antique cut (e.g., possibly 'old mine'), so it's not surprising that it wouldn't appear perfectly symmetrical like a well cut modern round brilliant or cushion might. It's really hard for anyone to tell for sure without close-up pictures of the diamond straight on and perhaps from the side, and even then it's best to have a GIA certificate or independent appraisal to be certain. I truly don't mean this to come across snarky as it might sound, but, was it your intention to buy an antique cut diamond with an understanding of their common characteristics, or were you perhaps maybe trying to just find a nice looking diamond within a certain budget? And if it's the latter, that's okay. For this diamond, you really need to know what you have (GIA certification, independent appraisal), what you can do with it (if the chip poses a risk or prevents resetting), and given all of that - did you pay a fair price for it or are you comfortable with what you paid for it?

As for whether to keep it or return it, I think everyone is different, and ultimately only you can make that decision. If I were looking for perfection, more 'sharp' sparkle and perfect symmetry, I would be inclined to return it if it's an older cut because they don't behave that way. If I appreciate the chunky flashes of an antique cut and love it for what it is, 100+ year-old flaws and all (and personally, I DO! :love: ), then it may warrant further consideration before I decide.

What those 'consideration' factors are depends on the buyer, but usually it's cut, color, clarity, carat (all of which you get with the certification) ... annnnnd the 5th 'C' - CO$T (your budget). Many people are generally familiar with the first four, but the 5th 'C' (in my opinion) determines how much flexibility or tolerance I might have with the first four (unless there is a timing factor to consider as well). Larger budgets may allow for more options (but not always), but not everyone has a large/discretionary budget, and therefore may need to find some compromise in the first four C's. But that does NOT mean that you don't have or can't have a beautiful diamond! :naughty:

In summary/TLDR: At a MINIMUM, please have a good jeweler or independent appraiser assess the stone to be sure it's okay. If you're not sure that you want to keep this one, or feel it's too much risk with the chip, it may be best to return it while you're still in the return window. If you do opt to return it and start your search over, this forum has THE most knowledgeable group of diamond enthusiasts/consumers who - with a little basic information from you - are happy to help find THE perfect diamond for you based on your criteria and your budget - whether it's an antique or modern cut. And unlike some sites, the folks here do not get a kick-back from anyone for helping you; they just want to help educate consumers and appreciate you posting pictures of your diamond (and lots of 'em) when you get it.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :wavey:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the chip at about 2:00 in your photo? It's a really pretty ring. I'd love to see profile shots of the scrolls. Really unique. As the previous poster said it appears to be an old mine cut. Don't know what you could to to recut it or smooth it out. Stones like that are beautiful in their own right -- even with flea bites, etc. If you LOVE it, consider keeping it as is - a generations-old piece of history.

But yah post more pics. :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree with the old mine cut assessment, and I love the belcher setting! Do you like cut and how the diamond performs?

You might want to check out Old World Diamonds to see what you might pay for comparable loose diamonds.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how hard it is or how expensive it is to come across old minbe cuts where you live but her in the U.S. I think that you can do better for that price ESP if you plan to reset the stone and it's chipped. I have a few OMC and through all my resets, I didn't really like them as solitaires but my stones were deals not great in terms of clarity. Anyhow, I have found that OMC perform better in antique or ornamental settings. That's just my opinion. But if I were you I would keep looking.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way we could determine if it was a fair price is if we know an accurate colour and clarity of the centre stone. As to the chip lots of old stones have nicks and fleabites out of them that is common, if it bugs you then they can be polished out, or they can be set in something like a bezel or a halo to give protection against getting worse. If it is a big chip and looks like it poses any sort of possibility of getting worse if it say got bumped or dropped unless you plan to get it recut or polished out which probably will not be cost effective that might be a good reason to pass on it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1455927460|3993121 said:
As to the chip lots of old stones have nicks and fleabites out of them that is common, if it bugs you then they can be polished out, or they can be set in something like a bezel or a halo to give protection against getting worse.

I often wonder about this, and suspect maybe OP might also based on her comments, if you can help clarify: what is the "characteristic threshold" that makes a chip/flea bite safe or unsafe to be reset in either a prong or bezel setting? For instance, with a bezel, doesn't a certain amount of pressure need to be applied to the stone to set it? If so, I would think a chip might increase the risk of it cracking or chipping worse. But I don't set stones, so ... :confused:

Thanks!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Can you clarify where, exactly, the chip is. I do not pick it up clearly on my monitor.

jelyse

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn said:
was it your intention to buy an antique cut diamond with an understanding of their common characteristics, or were you perhaps maybe trying to just find a nice looking diamond within a certain budget?

Hi JoCoJenn! I know that the antique cuts are generally not symmetrical - I just love the history behind them, something about a diamond that was likely cut by hand is so romantic to me and I love that it's going to be completely different from any other diamond. Budget definitely was a concern as well - so it's a bit of everything. My main concern with the chip was that it would be something that could cause a bigger crack or chip if we were to reset, but I had it looked at last night and they said that it doesn't show any additional sign of damage and the chip is from just normal wear and tear for a diamond like this.

ringo865 said:
Is the chip at about 2:00 in your photo? It's a really pretty ring. I'd love to see profile shots of the scrolls. Really unique.

It is at about 2:00, and very small. I think I'm just a bit paranoid. I tried to take some more pics, but I just can't seem to get any good ones! I've posted a couple though!

I got an appraisal done this morning, and they gave me these measurements:

Old Mine Cut
Approx 0.75ct
5.80mmx5.10mmx3.77mm,
VS2
J-K

I know it's not all of the details that I should really have. like cut or depth/table but at least it's a start with some basics! I still love the idea of putting the diamond in a solitaire though and I think right now it looks like we're going to keep it.. I'd reset the belcher with something though as well - it's sooo pretty.

Thank you everyone for your responses! You guys rock (heh) :dance:

img_0981_1.jpg
img_0933_1.jpg
img_0969_2.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That belcher setting is da bomb. I've always loved them.

cheers--Sharon

jelyse

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1456007282|3993446 said:

RIGHT?! It's kind of great and it looks surprisingly delicate on the hand!!!!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg. Beauty. Let's see a hand shot. I love it as is.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think the ring, overall, is very pretty and so charming (the scrolls on the gallery is :love: :love: ).

The diamond's color does appear to be spot on at J/K. Its a white facing stone, and I adore the slightly elongated shape too!

What did your appraiser say about the chip? If its minor and does not impact the stone structurally, I would say you found yourself a really pretty ring from the Victorian era.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jelyse|1456006005|3993439 said:
JoCoJenn said:
Hi JoCoJenn! I know that the antique cuts are generally not symmetrical - I just love the history behind them, something about a diamond that was likely cut by hand is so romantic to me and I love that it's going to be completely different from any other diamond. Budget definitely was a concern as well - so it's a bit of everything. My main concern with the chip was that it would be something that could cause a bigger crack or chip if we were to reset, but I had it looked at last night and they said that it doesn't show any additional sign of damage and the chip is from just normal wear and tear for a diamond like this.

:appl: :appl: That's great news! I really like it, and as others will say - with antique cuts - you have to judge them with your eyes. If it appears to you to be a fraction of the beauty I see in the pics, I bet it's just gorgeous! :love: Congrats!

I really like the setting as well. It's very pretty & unique! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jelyse|1456016290|3993491 said:
canuk-gal|1456007282|3993446 said:

RIGHT?! It's kind of great and it looks surprisingly delicate on the hand!!!!!

Where are the hand shots!! Please post....MANY! :wavey: :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

jelyse

Rough_Rock
HeartingDiamonds said:
What did your appraiser say about the chip? If its minor and does not impact the stone structurally, I would say you found yourself a really pretty ring from the Victorian era.

When he looked at it, he said that it was just a small chip on the edge which can be common for a stone of its age, and that there didn't appear to be any other structural damage to it - no cracks leading from it or anything. I think just to be on the safe side (because you can never be too careful), I'm going to take it to one more jeweller and ask them to take another look - a second opinion never hurts right?!

I know that based on the measurements, the stone is a bit deep - but it's such a cheery seeming diamond! Does that make sense?

Here are some hand shots for you guys! Sorry, they're not the best.. I can't seem to figure out lighting ahaha.

Thank you for all your input! Everyone on here is so helpful and friendly :love:

img_1003.jpg
img_1007.jpg img_1019.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh. I love it on your hand. Probably deep cuz the crown on miners is high. Love. Love. Love this ring.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very pretty indeed! I love these old cuts in their original settings. Did the seller mention the chip? If not, perhaps you could persuade him or her to reduce the price a bit now that you've had it appraised?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, only you can decide what it's value is to you.

I personally would not keep it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results