shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or sell?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy1959

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond that is a miner''s cut/a little over half a carat. It belonged to my grandfather, and has been passed down to me. I am trying to find out what it''s worth, and so far not getting anywhere. Had it looked at by a jeweler yesterday, but I''m not sure he was being real honest.

Any info would be helpful!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
why in the world would you want to sell it?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In most markets I think you’ll find that to be a difficult item to sell but collecting information to make an informed decision is what appraisers are good for. By all means select one who you believe is being honest with you and do make sure to ask the right questions (you're looking for information about resale, not necessarily about what a 'new' one would cost or what you should insure it for). There’s a list at the top of the page under ‘resources’ and there just might be one in your area.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 4:05:47 PM
Author: strmrdr

+1

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
If you want to know what it is worth, then take it to have it independently appraised. Know that you probably won''t get what it appraised for. I would keep it if I were you.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2009 4:03:10 PM
Author:missy1959
I have a diamond that is a miner's cut/a little over half a carat. It belonged to my grandfather, and has been passed down to me. I am trying to find out what it's worth, and so far not getting anywhere. Had it looked at by a jeweler yesterday, but I'm not sure he was being real honest.

What did he tell you, and why are you concerned about his honesty?

In any event, I agree with the other posters... consider keeping it, for its sentimental value if not its beauty. You might want to check out the "Timeless Classics" forum to see what some other PS'ers have done with old cut stones, particularly this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-lovers-please-sign-in.113724/

(sorry I can't make the link work.
7.gif
)

Or just use the search function... we tend to refer to miner's cuts as OMC's around here.
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+2 can you not pass it down to your children? its an heirloom diamond, I would reset it into something that can be worn by you or by your loved one.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
+3 here.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Make me vote #4 here!

To me, the sentimental value of any heirloom diamond far outweighs its monetary value. Read up a bit on these antique cuts and you''ll be pleasantly surprised at how special these diamonds really are
1.gif
!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
A floating bezel necklace would be a wonderful way to enjoy this stone without risking any damage. I''d line up to see it!!

missy1959

Rough_Rock
I didn''t feel comfortable with what the gentleman was saying. For instance, he told me it would lose size and carat weight when it was re-cut to make it look ''new.'' It is a beautiful stone, and I didn''t get why anyone would want to re-cut it in the first place. He also said right now, I''d probably get about 12 cents on the dollar, and then after he cleaned it, said--''maybe 18 to 37 cents.''

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of your diamond?

Old cut diamonds may not have the sparkle of a modern cut, but they have a beauty all their own -- and a huge fan club here on PS.

If you''d like to put that diamond to use in a piece of jewelry that you could wear ( necklace or a ring, perhaps) we''d be happy to show you some options!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m going to guess that your 12 to 37 cents on the dollar figure is comparing his value conclusion to some prior appraisal that you’ve got on the piece. If so, this isn’t unusual when comparing consumer resale values to replacement values, especially on comparatively unusual items but the details of BOTH valuations are important in order to make a useful comparison. Again I suggest that if you don’t trust your chosen appraiser, choose one that you do.

Recutting is one of the choices dealers make when considering selling older stones. In some cases that’s the way to maximize the resale value and in others it’s not. As with the above, if you don’t trust him to make this decision carefully, find someone else. It’s a complicated question.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am a sentimental guy...keep it!

The value would be interesting to know, but you can never replace the family history of this cherished diamond.

Find a knowledgable trusted appraiser for answers to your questions.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 4:03:10 PM
Author:missy1959
I have a diamond that is a miner''s cut/a little over half a carat. It belonged to my grandfather, and has been passed down to me. I am trying to find out what it''s worth, and so far not getting anywhere. Had it looked at by a jeweler yesterday, but I''m not sure he was being real honest.

If you really don''t want to keep it, why not look on ebay and see what others with similar stats are going for? Perhaps list it on the bistro. I know many people are saying "keep it", but maybe you just don''t want to and that''s ok too. Do what''s best for you, no regrets.

LindaLo

Rough_Rock

+5! You could have it set into something you would enjoy wearing-- a ring, a pendant... I would keep just for the sentimental value.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2009 10:18:33 PM
Author: LindaLo

+5! You could have it set into something you would enjoy wearing-- a ring, a pendant... I would keep just for the sentimental value.
+6

purelily

Shiny_Rock
+7 unless it is something that absolutely can''t be avoided. But, honestly, once a piece is sold it can not be gotten back. Beautiful heirloom pieces are hard to come by, though
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results