carat
color
clarity

Keep it or return it?

Should I keep it?

• Total voters

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
So the diamond that I ordered finally arrived!

http://www.gemfacts.com/Cert/CertSearch?certNo=283030000
2.5 Ideal H VS2
  • Diameter: 8.68 x 8.69
  • HCA: 0.9
  • Polish: Excellent
  • Symmetry: Excellent
  • Table: 56
  • Depth: 61.8
  • Crown Height/Angle: 15.5% - 35
  • Pavillion Height/Angle: 43% - 40.6
  • Girdle: Slightly Thick
  • Culet: None
  • Fluorescence: None

IMG_0685.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

But also, I have no idea what I'm doing. It sparkles light crazy, and I tried an ASET scope on it, and from what I can see the light return is fabulous. The videos really don't do it justice.

But... I'm worried that I'm a little more color sensitive than I thought, and that its H color makes it look pretty brown. It seems slightly milky, but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm comparing it on my skin.

When I'm holding it away from me, there's no way I'd ever tell, but up close it seems noticeable. I'm setting it in 14k yellow gold, so I didn't think I'd have an issue with color up to H.

The other thing is, I don't really know where the inclusions are from the certificate. I don't think I see any, but the table seemed slightly speckled. Could just be grime from me touching it, so I kept cleaning it to see.

What do you think? Am I just being crazy? Should I keep it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful, but I do notice that you are indoors and in an area where there appears to be a lot of timber paneling.
I think you need to see it outside in white light, wear a white top too.
I don’t think the diamond is “brown” I think it is just reflecting back the colour of the environment and the warm tone lighting..
If you can, take it into a jeweller store, their lights are fantastic and you’ll really be able to see how it performs.
I’d keep it.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
So the diamond that I ordered finally arrived!

http://www.gemfacts.com/Cert/CertSearch?certNo=283030000
2.5 Ideal H VS2
  • Diameter: 8.68 x 8.69
  • HCA: 0.9
  • Polish: Excellent
  • Symmetry: Excellent
  • Table: 56
  • Depth: 61.8
  • Crown Height/Angle: 15.5% - 35
  • Pavillion Height/Angle: 43% - 40.6
  • Girdle: Slightly Thick
  • Culet: None
  • Fluorescence: None

IMG_0685.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

But also, I have no idea what I'm doing. It sparkles light crazy, and I tried an ASET scope on it, and from what I can see the light return is fabulous. The videos really don't do it justice.

But... I'm worried that I'm a little more color sensitive than I thought, and that its H color makes it look pretty brown. It seems slightly milky, but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm comparing it on my skin.

When I'm holding it away from me, there's no way I'd ever tell, but up close it seems noticeable. I'm setting it in 14k yellow gold, so I didn't think I'd have an issue with color up to H.

The other thing is, I don't really know where the inclusions are from the certificate. I don't think I see any, but the table seemed slightly speckled. Could just be grime from me touching it, so I kept cleaning it to see.

What do you think? Am I just being crazy? Should I keep it?

It seems to have a great deal of color. It's a lovely size but I'm not a fan.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the price was amazing I would keep it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something about the color looks off to me too. I like warmer diamonds, but it’s like there is an odd secondary tone in this one. Bron makes a good point to see it in different situations to make sure it isn’t the environment reflections. Can you make one of those at home lightboxes? I’m wondering if it will help the secondary color become more obvious or there won’t be one. If it looks like this in all lighting I would return.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for the advice, the price was $14,650, which for its 4Cs I could have done better, but I loved the CA/PA combination and cut.

I tried a quick video with a white shirt in outdoor lighting this morning:

I’ll definitely try a makeshift light box tonight as well, great idea!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful size, but there's something about it that is looking a bit off to me as well. I am very colour sensitive and can see the tint even in your outdoor video. Plus, the arrows seem a little less well defined than they should be based on the cut specs.

But the only person who has to be happy is you. If you are not wowed by it every time you look at it, I'd say send it back and keep looking. The right one will find you.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best way for me to look at color is sideways through the stone. I am confused why lab created diamonds have the lower colors.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input, I really appreciate it!

So I was having some doubts, and I ended up reaching out to D.NEA diamonds again to see if they had any stones with a better color. There was one I had been looking at, but it wasn't in their current inventory, and they offered to send me a different stone of theirs I had been considering so I could compare the two. Free of charge, next day shipping. It's a 2.58 H VS1, and they also lowered the price to $11500.

I compared the stones under every possible lighting, and the 2.58 feels perfect. I have no concerns with its color, and love the slightly larger size. I compared the two in an ASET, and it's very close but I think the BE diamond preformed slightly better. In real life though, they seemed to sparkle exactly the same, I'd even say the D.NEA diamond sparkled slightly more, possibly because of it's size advantage. The 2.58 also has fatter arrows, which I like!

Not only that, but $3000 less! And D.NEA has a fantastic upgrade program. Being able to compare the two, and literally receiving the stone the next day was absolutely fantastic. I'd recommend D.NEA 100%%%%%%. Here's some photos and videos.

The D.NEA 2.58 is on the left, (or top) and the BE 2.5 is on the right. E6gYGeJWRIaBrTFmW+Y6OQ.jpg 2dgRWRdvSmGvQfiJL2%TVg.jpg

BInHl6GBQBuTVIgUMG%agg.jpg gpY914vGT+KDJBvRG70+%g.jpg lC54EUVKTlmriYum2PS3Dw.jpg W6eoQ1NuTgm1nEE%NJv7jw.jpg

upload_2018-11-30_18-24-47.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo. Love the new stone! Glad you found your keeper!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both H, right? Cause in this pic the 2.58 looks much whiter. A bigger and better stone for less, yeah!
556AEF7F-32BE-4BD6-B0C2-9630593FDFB3.jpeg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
They are both H, right? Cause in this pic the 2.58 looks much whiter. A bigger and better stone for less, yeah!
556AEF7F-32BE-4BD6-B0C2-9630593FDFB3.jpeg

I have to agree that the one on the left looks much better, seems clearer and the color is a lot better than the other one. I am also color sensitive. The fact that it is less money than the one on the right is just a huge bonus for you!:kiss2: Congratulations!:appl:

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Yes, both H! It’s really hard to tell in the videos, but I think that photo in particular really shows the difference in what I was concerned about in the 2.5.

Thank you all so much! PS has been so so helpful in finding the right stone. I just got my first CADs back from David Klass, so excited to see how the final ring turns out.

I just need to send the stone away ASAP, I can’t stop taking it out and looking at it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you! That looks amazing!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear that you've found 'the one'! :))

I think both were cut very nicely but if one had tint that bothered your colour sensitivity, nothing wrong with opting for an alternative while you can :)

Will look forward to pics of the ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results