shape
carat
color
clarity

kcoursolle....Minneapolis recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I remember correctly you''re in Minneapolis now?

Any recommendations for food, shopping streets, or bling?

Is it worth checking out Knox jewelers?

We''re headed there for a much needed mini-vacation. Will only be there 2 days, but we''re set on doing frivolous things during that time.

Any recommendations you''ve got would be GREAT.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi neatfreak!

I''m actually in Los Angeles now, but I''m from the midwest and spend a lot of time there. In general, jewelry shopping isn''t really that great in MN...at least relative to LA.

I''ve never been to knox, but Brian is so great to work with I would definitely check them out. I''ve heard that their store is a bit small, but it would be at least helpful to get a feel for their designs in person and I''d love to hear your experiences. I''ve worked with knox on several projects. I really can''t say enough about the knox team. They are so fabulous and that''s probably why I post about them a lot. Brian is really friendly and easy to work with. He responds to emails quickly, cares about the details, and his prices are very reasonable. I would consider him, "my main jeweler"...and that is a big title for a pricescoper LOL!!!! There''s something about the knox team that is smaller and more customer oriented that I really like.

If you want good eye-candy...but expensive prices I''d check out Wixon jewelers in either Edina or Bloomington (can''t remember). I wouldn''t buy there because they are really overpriced, but they have nice stuff. There is also a very nice jewelry store around the 50th and France Ave. neigborhood in Edina that looked very high quality with some eye-candy, but I can''t remember the name of the place.

There is a tiffany''s and Scherizade (sp?) in the Galleria in Edina (near the Southdale mall). Again, I wouldn''t buy from either since they are overpriced, but they both have some lovely pieces. Avoid the mall stores at all costs...they are soooooo bad in MN. If you just want to go to a whole bunch of jewelers at once, but not buy from any of them...then I think there are at least 6-7 in the Mall of America, but I am *not* impressed with ANY of them. Don''t go to jared''s, weddingdayjewelers, or shane''s, they are all really bad in my opinion. There are a few jewelers downtown Minneapolis, but I''m unfamiliar with them. Uptown might also have a couple of places, and it''s a fun neighborhood to check out if you want to grab a drink or dinner. Arthur''s jewelers in St. Paul has a good selection of designer settings and jewlelry in general, but I have no idea if they are good to work with.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
For things to do...

It depends on what you like to do. If you are a 20''s to 30''s person and like to go out, I''d check out Uptown which has some fun bars, great food, and some fun shops. Also, Dinkytown near the U of M and the "seven corners" area of Miinneapolis near the U of M are also fun places to go out. I loooove the bars around Grand Ave. in St. Paul, they are so much fun! If you want something more expensive, then I''d go downtown Minneapolis. There are some cool bars around there too, but I hardly ever go there.

If you want to shop for clothes and non-jewelry stuff I''d go to the Mall of America. It''s cheesy and locals don''t go there too often, but it''s got a ton of stores and it''s kind of cool to see if you haven''t been there.

For nature stuff, there is a cool lake to walk around in Uptown called Lake Calhoun. Also, Minnehaha Falls is very pretty.

Hmmmm, what else? Feel free to ask me questions and let me know what types of things you like to do.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re the best! I don''t know WHERE I got the idea that you lived in MN currently, but THANK YOU for all the excellent recommendations!

We are indeed late 20''s so we''ll have to check out the areas you suggested. As for the bling, Madison is seriously lacking as you know, so it''ll just be for a fun look and unless I''m lucky not for buying.

I think we''ll have to check out those falls too, I just googled it and it looks amazing. Can''t wait!

I appreciate you taking the time to give me recs! I''ll let you know how the trip goes. Thank you
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad it helped, and please do tell us how your trip goes! If you end up going to knox I''d also love to hear about what the store is like and what Brian and the team are like in person.

I was thinking the other day of how much I miss Madison, maybe I''m just nastolgic...but it''s a special place. I was thinking the other day of all the fun times I had there and how much I miss the bar called, "Essen haus"... Have you ever been there? It was my favorite! Lake Mendota was so pretty too. Good times.

tcm

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m a newby who has learned a lot by lurking and saw this post and as a MN native thought here was an area where I could contribute my 2 cents if that''s OK. Wixon''s is in Bloomington (on Lyndale Avenue), not far from the Mall of America.

If you''re at 50th and France looking at bling there is lots of fun shopping in the neighborhood -- fun boutiques, chains stores, etc., an awesome cooking store -- "Cooks of Crocus Hill", and good ice cream (Edina Creamery). A bit closer to the city (but in the same general neighborhood) is a fabulous restaurant, Broder''s Pasta Bar; it''s walking distance from Lake Harriet, which is my favorite of the lakes to walk around.

Upscale jewelry in the Mall of America is rather sad, but there is a fun store called "Minnesota Charm" which sells locally made jewelry. Lots of semi-precious stones set in silver.

I second the above mentioned Grand Avenue & Uptown neighborhoods. Downtown can also be fun and the JBHudson jewelers (on the corner of the Macy''s building) is full of beautiful things and an incredible building. Great places to eat as well if you want further recommendations.

Enjoy your trip to the Cities!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 7:34:41 AM
Author: tcm
Hi, I''m a newby who has learned a lot by lurking and saw this post and as a MN native thought here was an area where I could contribute my 2 cents if that''s OK. Wixon''s is in Bloomington (on Lyndale Avenue), not far from the Mall of America.

If you''re at 50th and France looking at bling there is lots of fun shopping in the neighborhood -- fun boutiques, chains stores, etc., an awesome cooking store -- ''Cooks of Crocus Hill'', and good ice cream (Edina Creamery). A bit closer to the city (but in the same general neighborhood) is a fabulous restaurant, Broder''s Pasta Bar; it''s walking distance from Lake Harriet, which is my favorite of the lakes to walk around.

Upscale jewelry in the Mall of America is rather sad, but there is a fun store called ''Minnesota Charm'' which sells locally made jewelry. Lots of semi-precious stones set in silver.

I second the above mentioned Grand Avenue & Uptown neighborhoods. Downtown can also be fun and the JBHudson jewelers (on the corner of the Macy''s building) is full of beautiful things and an incredible building. Great places to eat as well if you want further recommendations.

Enjoy your trip to the Cities!
These are reallly great ideas!! Thanks for the detail on Wixon''s, I just couldn''t remember exactly where it was.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I avoid the Mall of America, the stores there are poor. Just looking around the Nordstroms, you can see how the last decade has been one of disrepair. If you really want to shop a mall, go to Burnsville or Edina. Edina has the Galleria and Southdale, but both are fairly pretentious. The guard in Tiffany's has a poorly concealed gun in his three piece suit, and annoys me. Scheherazade's people are nicer, but in a similar vein. Burnsville is mostly chain stores, but the prices are better for identical goods.

Dan Wixon is a nice guy, but if you want to see the first place in Minnesota that had electric lights, you could go to Moeller's on Ford Parkway and Cleveland. adjacent to Moeller's following Cleveland north is "the Highland Park Grill" with excellent seafod dishes and "White Rock Coffee Roasters" who roast all their own beans they serve Sabastian Joe's ice creame (if you want to go to Sabastian Joe's they are on Kenwood and Hennipen where they also serve adult beverages. I like the Black forest ice creame with the brandy. it is like a frozen Alexander). Across the street from them is Patina-- a nice gift shop. Off Highland Parkway and Cleveland (two blocks north of Patina) is Punch Neapolitan, a restaurant started by the same Minneapolis couple that founded Caribou Coffee. They went to Naples and learned how to make pizza in 800 degree wood ovens. The espresso is better than anywhere else in the twin cities, not the fast food espresso Caribou produces now.

If you like curries, I would suggest "Everest on Grand". It is just off Grand and Ayd Mill Rd or west of Lexington Parkway (depending on how you want to get there). If you prefer wood paneling and steaks "the Lexington" on the corner of Grand and Lexington is fantastic. Cafe Latte on Grand Ave and Victoria has excellent cakes and okay coffee, it costs as much as the coffee at Punch Neapolitan but not half as good. Downtown St Paul has "Kincaids" who serve excellent fish. South across the river on Robert Street is "Backstreet Pizza," a place I have never been to, but always hear good things about.

If you are planning on being in Minneapolis more than St Paul, I would suggest the Indian Restuarant one block east of Calhoun Square on Lake Street called "Taste of India". North across the street from there is a cute shop called "Go Home" they have beautiful vintage furniture, and excellent cards. Across Henepinn from Calhoun Square and south one block is "Paper Source" with a superb collection of stationary and wrapping papers if you are interested. Magers and Quinn is also in that block, an independant bookseller. My wife loves the boutique a block south of Paper source, I forget the name. Further north on Hennipen is Uncommon Grounds-- an awesome coffee house (yes a house devoted to coffee, I suggest the chai it is rich and flavorful). Chang Mai Thai is between the parking ramp and Calhoun square and is known for the wine list. I like the plum wine they carry paired with the pad thai. If you hop onto 35w and catch Hennipen north of the river, you will find Surdyks with a huge selection of liqour and deli meats.

If you are running around the Nicollet Mall, I'd try to get rush tickets to the Minesota Orchestra, but it being summer you might catch a street festival and not have to pay. The Brits Pub across from Orchestra Hall has imported beers like Tennets on tap. The Dakota Bar and Grill also has great local and out of town Jazz regularly, and the food is fantastic. Shopping on Nicollet includes an Off 5th Ave. JB Hudson's which untill recently was owned by J. Cargill is now owned by the Pohlad family though they are keeping Joas on as an executive.

On Lake street close to but west of 35W is Bills Imported foods. If you like things like Turkish olive oil, it can be had in gallon cans for 20 bucks or less. they also have excellent "feta" cheese (the EU apparently only recognises feta as coming from Greece, but here you can get "feta" cheese from Egypt and several other countries) the proprietor speaks many different languages with a Georgian accent, and not the Savannah Georgia.

Later this summer Ian Mckellen is going to be playing at the Gutherie Theater, but I don't know if that lines up with your plans.

I don't know what your preferences are for bars, so I stuck to other things.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I live in WI but from where I live MPS is about an hour and a half drive....if you have never been to MOA (mall of america) its a good place. There is no sales tax on clothing in MN...thats the nice thing!!! There are some cheesy stores but its still fun if you know where to look. There is an IKEA right across the street from MOA so if you have never been to one of those I suggest that you take a look there and see what they have....I love their meatballs from their cafeteria...good time. You can spend hours in an IKEA...

Go see Knox...they have some great pieces...there is an outlet mall I think its in Roseville but I am sure you can google it....they have Coach...armani...gucci...liz Claiborne...Ralph Lauren...Ann Taylor...bunch of other high end retail stores.....

Good Luck have a good time....enjoy yourself!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

We just got back from a great trip. Went downtown, uptown, and dinkyville. Ate at a great greek restaurant and a good tapas place too.

Found Knox jewelers totally by accident, they were very very nice, let me try on a bunch of bling, AND their pieces were really beautiful. I wouldn''t hesitate to buy from them in the future, their custom stuff was very very nice.

I did manage to find the Galleria as well, but we only went to Tiffanys and avoided the rest. The saleswoman was sooooo nice, but obviously didn''t know her own wares very well as she complimented me on my gorgeous ring and then asked if we were also going to buy the matching Novo band. For those who don''t know, I don''t have a Novo!!! Anyway, it was a nice compliment and she looked a little red when we went over to the Novo case and she realized it wasn''t a Novo. Ooops.

Shopped in Edina, very nice little area.

All in all, a successful trip, so a big THANK YOU to all of you who provided recommendations!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 9:10:36 PM
Author: neatfreak
Thanks everyone!

We just got back from a great trip. Went downtown, uptown, and dinkyville. Ate at a great greek restaurant and a good tapas place too.

Found Knox jewelers totally by accident, they were very very nice, let me try on a bunch of bling, AND their pieces were really beautiful. I wouldn''t hesitate to buy from them in the future, their custom stuff was very very nice.

I did manage to find the Galleria as well, but we only went to Tiffanys and avoided the rest. The saleswoman was sooooo nice, but obviously didn''t know her own wares very well as she complimented me on my gorgeous ring and then asked if we were also going to buy the matching Novo band. For those who don''t know, I don''t have a Novo!!! Anyway, it was a nice compliment and she looked a little red when we went over to the Novo case and she realized it wasn''t a Novo. Ooops.

Shopped in Edina, very nice little area.

All in all, a successful trip, so a big THANK YOU to all of you who provided recommendations!
I''m glad you had a great trip! They thought your ring was a Novo, that''s great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results