shape
carat
color
clarity

Kale Salads

P

PierreBear

Hello! It's almost the summer time... and everyone wants to look bikini ready right? Anyone have any tips on how to make kale salads more enjoyable? I haven't figured out the trick and always find the leafs a bit too hardened. The restaurants seem to do a better job but perhaps they just keep it dressed/marinated longer? Appreciate the help!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear, keep in mind I know NOTHING about cooking, but a friend of mine who does always says two things about kale salads (which she eats a lot of):

- use a an acid based dressing (so think vinegar) and let it sit overnight, or at least for several hours

- chop the pieces small and "massage" them, which helps break down the fibers so it's not so tough

Now you know everything I know about kale, LOL! :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't figured out the trick and always find the leafs a bit too hardened.
Learned this from the chef at a restaurant I ate at in NYC: cut kale in thin strips or small pieces and massage in some lemon juice or vinegar and a bit of salt and let the mixture sit for a few hours or overnight.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also do a quick blanche of kale. Like 30s and then icebath. Just make sure to dry well or the dressing wont stick!
I hate kale salads, I only like it cooked. And then I really like it haha.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol @Austina . I have to agree. There are much easier greens to use and to be honest I don't love kale. Also 3 out of 4 of us are allergic to it. Not me, but everyone else. It's a common allergy.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LOL Austina.

My Mom chops her kale really fine--really does help.

And add other ingredients to make it palatable. There is a restaurant in town that makes the BEST Kale Cesar salad. It is really delish!

Oh and best tip of all? Save $500 and don't throw inedible parts it down the garburator .:mrgreen2:

cheers--Sharon

P

PierreBear

Lol @Austina . I have to agree. There are much easier greens to use and to be honest I don't love kale. Also 3 out of 4 of us are allergic to it. Not me, but everyone else. It's a common allergy.

I'm with you! I'm a spring mix girl but what I've learned is with a family of 2, sometimes the greens wilt quicker than can be consumed. It can get to that slightly decomposed liquid stage and thought heyyyy perhaps Kale can last a bit longer in the fridge. Giving it a try this week!

P

PierreBear

Thank you all for the recipe tips! I bought a fresh bag so ready to give it a try soon. Cheers to massaging some greens!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also do a quick blanche of kale. Like 30s and then icebath. Just make sure to dry well or the dressing wont stick!
I hate kale salads, I only like it cooked. And then I really like it haha.

Like you I like it cooked. Or in a smoothie. It can be a bit bitter/spicy otherwise.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I eat kale salads at least 3-5 times a week. I don’t feel right if I don’t. Lol

Best kale salads are the simplest ones.

My favorite below (dh makes this for us)

Bag of Kale or a fresh bushel
Juice from one lemon
Healthy Olive oil drizzle
Red pepper flakes
Shredded Parmesan cheese
Little salt and pepper
Massage the hell out of the kale.
No need to sit for hours the massage & lemon will break it down.
Eat and enjoy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results