shape
carat
color
clarity

JustAppraisers in NYC (David Wolf)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to let other PSers know that I had an appraisal today with Toby Smart of JustAppraisers. I met with David Wolf, the owner, beforehand and both he and Toby were pleasant to deal with. I opted for the less involved (read: cheaper) appraisal as I already had IdealScope, ASET and Sarin reports as provided by Whiteflash which was the main difference in the two appraisals they offered. The price I paid was not supposed to include a Megascope analysis as I was already comfortable with the Sarin as I noted WF provided, however Toby ran it through just to verify that the numbers were in line. As an appraiser Toby was very helpful and professional and gave me his honest opinions. I wasn''t sure that I''d be comfortable with an H SI2 diamond of this size (2.6 carats) but it was beautiful and he let me look at the inclusions through the microscope after seeing that it was eye-clean.

Later in the day I recieved the full appraisal via e-mail and, as Toby explained, they appraised the stone at just slightly higher than I will be paying. From what I''ve read here on PS this is ideal because an inflated value only causes insurance premiums to be higher and there is really no value in doing so but to make the purchaser feel better about the price I guess. Overall, JustAppraisers and Toby in particular were professional, helpful and exactly what I''ve come to expect from an appraiser through my reading here on PS. I''d definitely recommend them and will continue to use them for any jewelery appraisal needs in the future. Thanks to all for the advice and help along the way.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the review! I was looking for an appraiser in the NYC area.

Just a question, and not that you have to disclose the amount you paid for the appraisal, but would you mind sharing the starting price? I would like to get some figures to help me decide.

My stone will also be form WF and I will receive all the documents you described, so I won''t necessarily need all the in depth reports as well.

Thanks again for sharing!

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 6:58:02 PM
Author: Shannon72781
Thanks for the review! I was looking for an appraiser in the NYC area.

Just a question, and not that you have to disclose the amount you paid for the appraisal, but would you mind sharing the starting price? I would like to get some figures to help me decide.

My stone will also be form WF and I will receive all the documents you described, so I won't necessarily need all the in depth reports as well.

Thanks again for sharing!

Hey Shannon, glad my post helped a little. I know that his prices vary depending on the size of the stone. For a 2.6ct round it was $145 for the lesser of the two appraisals and $290 total for that plus all of the reports. So it's half price without the extra reports basically. I think it goes down by about $20 per half carat grade for the full report. I.e. 2 to 2.5ct is $270, 2.5 to 3ct is $290. Again, this is a rough estimate but you should call and ask. They're really helpful and not pushy at all. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results