shape
carat
color
clarity

Just want to vent -- Are tradesmen so busy they can't even be bothered?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the rant, just really getting frustrated!

I thought that the economy was still depressed and yet I can't find anyone that wants to work.

A few weeks back, we had a tree fall in our yard during bad weather. Thankfully it missed the house and only brushed the back porch roof. This was unfortunately enough to take part of the gutter down. Well, 2 weeks later and roughly a dozen calls to companies that advertise gutter repair and I still can't find anyone to even come out and give me an estimate. At this point I am even willing to just replace that entire section over the porch (approx 30ft and 2 downspouts) and even then they don't want the job. Can all these companies really be this busy that they can't be bothered with a smaller job?

Then the icing on the cake - I though that I had it all arranged when I got ahold of a company yesterday that offers both gutter repairs and pressure washing. Spent 1/2 talking to the nice rep scheduled the gutter cleaning roof/house washing and he said the gutter guy would call me today and that they should be able to do the repair or replacement on the same day as the wash/cleaning. Well the gutter rep called back today and wanted to set up an estimate for gutter covers. Me:"Well I am glad to hear about your product, but my primary concern was the broken/hanging gutter" Rep's reply sorry we don't do that (even though their website says they do) but let me give you so and so's number they are great. I call so and so no answer - call yet to be returned. Thinking about cancelling the wash service now but the house really does need it. They had already google searched my home in quoting the wash, it was a really poor decision to just brush me off because I would have considered the gutter covers as a future project. (We live in a heavily wooded area and have a few places prone to icicles that I want to heat)

Sorry again - rant over. But seriously is business so great that every day is booked solid. What ever happened to building a relationship with clients. I am far more likely to trust/hire you for a large job in the future if we have already established a rapport.

Last edited:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In a word, yes. There aren't many good ones and the good ones think that they are brain surgeons...actually, not just the good ones....the arrogance is staggering. My husband's solution is to learn and do as much as he can himself.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had that problem here for years. When construction is booming, no one wants to take on small jobs. When business is slow, no one seems to want to work. It's frustrating especially if you need smaller jobs done than constructing an entire house :angryfire:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve experienced this often. It took me months to have a repair made to the siding on our home about 8 years ago. No one wanted to take a small job and it seemed impossible to even get a phone call returned. I had joked with my husband many times that I needed to start a home repair company. If I just returned customers phone calls and showed up on the agreed upon time they would think I was wonderful.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In a word, yes. There aren't many good ones and the good ones think that they are brain surgeons...actually, not just the good ones....the arrogance is staggering. My husband's solution is to learn and do as much as he can himself.
Agreed, unfortunately my husband doesn't have the time and is not very handy so it is probably for the best. I am almost always the one dealing with and I do find many of them to be very rude. I had one awhile back for a different problem ask me if I needed to get my husbands permission when I told him that we would talk it over and get bask to him. You can bet he didn't get the job!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We've had that problem here for years. When construction is booming, no one wants to take on small jobs. When business is slow, no one seems to want to work. It's frustrating especially if you need smaller jobs done than constructing an entire house :angryfire:
Yes, I suppose it has been going on for awhile. Just makes me crazy! What am I supposed to do , they don't honestly think I'm going to replace all of my gutters do they? It's not like there is this infinite amount of work available, I could see them saying it will be awhile and we can squeeze you in here or there, but you are right most don't even return your call - and it is not just gutter companies.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve experienced this often. It took me months to have a repair made to the siding on our home about 8 years ago. No one wanted to take a small job and it seemed impossible to even get a phone call returned. I had joked with my husband many times that I needed to start a home repair company. If I just returned customers phone calls and showed up on the agreed upon time they would think I was wonderful.
I think that you are right about that. It amazes me that companies can stay in business with how they treat potential clients. Even if they can't take on the job, no point in burning a bridge to potential future customer or referral.

I have a painter/construction company that we have worked with in the past that has always been great and the level of service is superb. He charges an arm and a leg, but at least I know that they take pride in their work, it's done right and it is headache free. I think I will call him tomorrow. I don't believe they work on gutters but, I bet he will have a recommendation.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
“Potential” future customer means a “maybe” customer. Promises don’t pay the bills. Contracts for service do. try a handyman for the small jobs. Make sure that they have insurance coverage, etc.

Fm

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain Octoo2005....we have had to use Handymen for some small projects say instead of actual roofers. My DH could have done the work
but he really doesnt like heights. We already had the work done by the time the roofer got back to us a month and a half later.

Not sure if you can use a "handyman" for your job or if you need an actual gutter person. Wishing you Good luck!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain Octoo2005....we have had to use Handymen for some small projects say instead of actual roofers. My DH could have done the work
but he really doesnt like heights. We already had the work done by the time the roofer got back to us a month and a half later.

Not sure if you can use a "handyman" for your job or if you need an actual gutter person. Wishing you Good luck!
I am afraid that I will need an actual gutter person. It's pretty bent and the man with the gutter/power wash company that didn't pan out, said that it was very unlikely that it could be repaired and would need replacing. Not a huge job, but probably 30 feet of gutter and 2 downspouts. I just can't believe that many people are replacing their gutters that you can't be bothered. You offer gutter cleaning/inspections which could easily take just as much time.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
“Potential” future customer means a “maybe” customer. Promises don’t pay the bills. Contracts for service do. try a handyman for the small jobs. Make sure that they have insurance coverage, etc.

Fm
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, most handymen won't have access/skill to replace the area that is broken. I was told by one gutter company that the stretch of gutter would need to be replaced, but the job was to small. My point was are these companies really so swamped in business that they can turn down work. Say it was a small job and only took an hour or two - you could easily charge $600-700 maybe even more, I can't believe that is not worth your time. Gutters last decades and there are dozens of companies in my immediate area I can't believe that your schedule is booked solid. Even if you just offered to squeeze the job in on a day that finishes early or when you only have cleanings scheduled, it seems that it would be worth the added income.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry @Octo2005 and yes I feel your pain too. Often when we most need a repair or replacement it seems an exercise in frustration just getting someone here to look at it to give us an estimate. And there is a service call fee so it's not like it would be a wasted visit for them but it often feels like pulling teeth just to get someone here to evaluate the issue. And yes the more specialized the problem the harder it is to get the expert to come take a look.

My dh also tries to learn everything he can to take care of what he can take care of but let's face it...sometimes you just need the expert to do it right. Our dhs cannot know everything there is to know abut everything that can go wrong. And neither can we. Some issues/probelms/repairs you need the experts for. Period.

Definitely a great idea to ask other trusted workers/handymen and neighbors who they recommend.

Hugs to you and I hope you get everything taken care of to your satisfaction.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry @Octo2005 and yes I feel your pain too. Often when we most need a repair or replacement it seems an exercise in frustration just getting someone here to look at it to give us an estimate. And there is a service call fee so it's not like it would be a wasted visit for them but it often feels like pulling teeth just to get someone here to evaluate the issue. And yes the more specialized the problem the harder it is to get the expert to come take a look.

My dh also tries to learn everything he can to take care of what he can take care of but let's face it...sometimes you just need the expert to do it right. Our dhs cannot know everything there is to know abut everything that can go wrong. And neither can we. Some issues/probelms/repairs you need the experts for. Period.

Definitely a great idea to ask other trusted workers/handymen and neighbors who they recommend.

Hugs to you and I hope you get everything taken care of to your satisfaction.
Thank you @missy

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 I have been thinking about your dilemma.. We have not had any real trouble finding reliable tradesmen/women in Maine, BUT Austin, no one would ever show up... I suppose this is because Maine is full of people my age and those young people who choose to live an 1 1/2 north of Boston. I suppose people have already said but I will say relying on friends, neighbors, trusted tradespeople is the best way to go. Hope your problem get's solved soon, it's a real bitch to get something fixed when you live in a more 'happening' area. (makes me want to move in a way because I miss all of the awesomely good food in Austin, although Portland has great restaurants too, sorry I ALWAYS make any post about ME)

hopefully you will post and let us know how it went..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 I have been thinking about your dilemma.. We have not had any real trouble finding reliable tradesmen/women in Maine, BUT Austin, no one would ever show up... I suppose this is because Maine is full of people my age and those young people who choose to live an 1 1/2 north of Boston. I suppose people have already said but I will say relying on friends, neighbors, trusted tradespeople is the best way to go. Hope your problem get's solved soon, it's a real bitch to get something fixed when you live in a more 'happening' area. (makes me want to move in a way because I miss all of the awesomely good food in Austin, although Portland has great restaurants too, sorry I ALWAYS make any post about ME)

hopefully you will post and let us know how it went..

Ha you do not make every post about you and you are just sharing your experience(s) to help others. Your posts are always empathetic and helpful. :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005, I forgot to mention that missy's suggestion is how I found some reliable people. The houses in my neighborhood are 20+ years old so naturally have some age-related exterior repairs. In addition, the insides of the homes need updating. So when I saw one particular granite installer's truck in our neighborhood a few years ago (it was parked in front of nearly every house during spring and summer of 2007), I asked around, got glowing reviews, and used them to replace our kitchen counters. They, in turn, recommended someone to install the travertine and glass backsplash.

Same with roof/gutter repair. I make note of the trucks that appear most often in the neighborhood and call those companies first. I also use Angie's List to get ideas, then check reviews in as many places as I can find before I start to make calls for people to come look at the job and give an estimate. That's how I found the contractor who is remodeling the master bath (starting next month, gulp). Most of the contractors in my area (for any type of work) rely on word of mouth for referrals. Although there are hundreds here, only a handful go the extra mile when it comes to customer service.

The contractor doing the master bath has a reputation as a perfectionist and his sub contractors are top notch. So by doing the master bath, I'll have the names and contact info for his all subs when I need odd/small jobs done. So yeah, I'm shelling out big bucks on one room for essentially a list of people I can call for small jobs. LOL.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
DH has had good luck posting smaller jobs on thumbtack.com. Very good response rate and narrows it down to people actually looking to do the work.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A company that does a lot of small onsite jobs will soon go broke.
Actually that is why a lot of them do go broke.
You can't change enough to make up for the drive and set up time and all the little things that make up the cost of business.
Before one spike is put in there is $$$$$$ amount that costs the same for a small job as a big one.

The house washing is a different model, they rush in wash it and on to the next job.
There is little setup time and the drive time is dealt with using smart scheduling.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of the replies!

Update: The referral called back and came out the same day for an estimate. While he was here, I asked him to take a look at some other minor problem areas that had run over or small leaks between the corner joints and he was very helpful.

I usually prefer to get at least 3 estimates, but just went ahead and booked him. It's scheduled for next week - weather permitting - so fingers crossed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, I'm glad you got someone!!!! They charge a small fortune in Australia so it's probably less difficult to get someone. I won't do guttering because it requires climbing up too high but I helped my husband replace a downpipe a month ago.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay, I'm glad you got someone!!!! They charge a small fortune in Australia so it's probably less difficult to get someone. I won't do guttering because it requires climbing up too high but I helped my husband replace a downpipe a month ago.
Thank you.

That's awesome! I consider myself fairly handy, but wouldn't have a clue how to repair the gutters and like yourself they are too high even if I did.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may not be why, but I can tell you that this (the spring/warmer weather) is when the "busy season" starts for anything outdoors in the world of contractors. This is also when people plan improvements due to their pending tax refunds, and most have "recovered" from the expense of the holidays... so all contractors (inside and out) tend to be busiest in the spring.

I would have no idea about this type of thing if my husband wasn't in business for himself as a landscape contractor. He is so busy right now he has had to turn down lots of jobs, because he simply doesn't have the time (when the client can't wait). Conversely, jobs were so few and far between from the end of November until about the middle of February that he would take any job and price it lower than usual just to have work. It would be so nice if we could just stretch the jobs out during the year!

This is true for a lot of contractors. We always plan our "improvements" for specific times of year to save money. We waited until the winter to hire a painter because we knew his price would be less than the quote we got last summer... and it was. A $2100 quote turned into a $1700 quote. We did the same thing and waited to put up a privacy fence and saved another $500. Another time that is good for the consumer are the weeks prior to and after Christmas... I guess it really comes down to supply and demand in the area.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, they are that busy. I am constantly trying to persuade my "hands-on learning" type students to consider a program at our vocational high school. Partly because I believe they will thoroughly enjoy it, partly because I know they will never lack employment, but mostly in the hopes that I'll be able to find a skilled tradesperson when I need one!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they are that busy. I am constantly trying to persuade my "hands-on learning" type students to consider a program at our vocational high school. Partly because I believe they will thoroughly enjoy it, partly because I know they will never lack employment, but mostly in the hopes that I'll be able to find a skilled tradesperson when I need one!

This is so true... the idea that "everyone should go to college" has definitely decreased the number of tradespeople. Everyone is not meant to go to college... and that is perfectly okay. Do you know how much plumbers make??!!

Last edited:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so true... the idea that "everyone should go to college" has definitely decreased the number of tradespeople. Everyone is not meant to go to college... and that is perfectly okay. Do you know how much plumbers make??!!
They make a lot!..but like other contractors when it rains it pours and they have to turn down jobs but can go for very long stretches struggling.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They make a lot!..but like other contractors when it rains it pours and they have to turn down jobs but can go for very long stretches struggling.

I don't know how many really struggle -- guess it just depends on each individual, but, yes, often long stretches with significantly less work.

ETA: the same could be said for teachers... many of them go all summer without pay (but have the choice of dividing their checks for all 12 months -- or at least they do in TN).

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that the golden ticket is to hook in - hard - with one particular tradesman - preferably someone who will do jobs using multiple tradesmen. For eg, my basement is being done by a painter and sheet-rocker. He has hooked me up with electricians, plumbers, carpenters - even a stone mason! He's able to get them here same-day, whereas I can't even get them to return a call. Find one good guy, and flick-pass him as much work as possible; the good ones will work as project managers, but without the cost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results