shape
carat
color
clarity

Just saw something terrible...I am a wreck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I are meeting with our Officiant for the first time in less than an hour and I am a wreck.

I was taking my shrug fabric to my niece so she can get it to my seamstress for me and I saw the most awful thing.

I was driving 60 down a 4 lane hyway and I saw a teenage girl fly out the window of a car. This was two cars in front of me. Everyone slammed on their brakes and traffic started stopping. I wanted to get out and help her but the traffic was screeching to halt behind me and I was scared to get out. No-one else got out either. I think everyone was freaking out at what just happened. Than she got up and staggered to the side of the road. I was on the phone with 911 and pulled off to the side of the freeway and got out. I got over the metal side rail and ran up to her to help her. She looked just terrible. I won''t go into detail it was just horrible. I could not beleive she was walking. She could barely stand. The ambulance was on it''s way, traffic was now going at a normal pace now beside us. Someone than pulled up along side of us. Open their door. said something ot her and she basically fell into their car and drove off. I told 911 what the lisence plate number was. Than I drove home.

OMG i am just sick, I thought maybe if I wrote this out real quick It would calm me. FI is helping so much. But, I feel like puking. My hands are shaking. I need to pull myself together because we cannot cancel and I do not want this to over shadow such an exciting appt for us...

god help her, I hope she is getting help. there is no way she is okay. I wonder if the car that picked her up was the one she flew out of....I don''t know...

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh honey! THat is HORRIBLE! I wouldnt be surprised if your in a state of shock! I know you said you cant cancle...but I think I would if I were you! If not, I think it might be a good idea after you meet with them to take it easy for the rest of the day. What you saw is going to Mind F*** you for a little while.(excuse the crude terms)

If you need to talk, feel free to post on here hon! But...you called 911, there isn''t anything else you can do. You just need to trust that the Dr. and the police officers will do their part. Also, since you got the LP#, they might need to contact you for a statement, so you might want to find that out as well.

Its going to take some time for your mind to process this. Its okay to want throw up, be shaking, and freaking out. You witness A HORRIBLE THING!

HUGS! I''m here if you need me! Think positive! She was walking, even if not very well...thats a good sign. The doctors will be able to catch her, and because of you thinking fast and getting the LP# the police will be able to do their job and figure out what happened!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry, what a horrible thing to see and I'm not suprised you feel how you do.

Not only have you had a horrible shock by witnessing the initial incident, but the follow-up is emotionally disturbing and you haven't got any of the closure that you might have done by seeing the ambulance arrive and the girl get medical care and being in a 'safe' environment. I hope that you can maybe find out from the police what eventually happens as that may help you.

An incident I saw a few years ago still has the ability to shake me up if I think about it - talking it through and writing things down do help to minimise the effects, but it can be very traumatising and accepting that and taking the time you need to process everything is very important.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry that you saw that.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
How scary. I saw a horrible car accident in action once before and I won''t ever be able to erase that image from my memory.

I''m sure that she got help, but I am so sorry you had to witness that!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
So sorry you saw that!!

It`s absolutely understandable you`re feeling quite shaky right now, and only time will make it better. You have reacted very appropriately and done all the right things at the scene. I`m sure the girl is getting treatment as we speak.

It`s often helpful to get some closure in these situations, such as finding out from treating hospital about the particular patient (of course with their consent), but in this case it may be almost impossible to find out which hospital she`s at, as she was driven off in a private car rather than by ambulance.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
horrific.

but incredibly well handled, lauralu.

well done.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what an awful thing! You did the right thing by stopping and helping though...too bad no one else stopped who maybe could have clued the police in on what really happened in the first place! I hope that girl will be alright, but you did all you could...

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God help that girl.

laura it''s going to take some time for your adrenaline level to go back to normal. You had some shock and it''s not going to just go away. Be good to yourself today and for as long as it takes for you to feel better. Whatever your body tells you it needs, you do. I''m so sorry you witnessed something so horrific.

Please let us know how you''re doing later or tomorrow.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry this happened. You did everything that you possibly could and you did a good job. Not many people would be able to think with such a straight head to call 911 and give a LC #.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry this happened to someone, and miserable for you that you witnessed it. You had great presence of mind and kindness to do what you did to try to assist her, and it has got to be gut-wrenching to not know what happened or if she is OK. Thinking of you - you have had a big shock and should treat yourself gently as you try to process this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am SO SORRY!!!! My imagination runs away with me and I immediately think of a kidnapping or child trafficking.

If you want to take one additional step (& feel able) ... you could check out the websleuths forum and see if you recognize the girl from the many "missing" people. They list names & ages & states ... then have threads that usually link to "missing posters" and pictures.

Though, if you gave the police a description of her they can probably do the same thing. I hope they will.

I can''t imagine how disturbing that must have been. I must say I''m relieved YOU are okay. If she hadn''t gotten back in the car? YOU ARE A HERO!!!! You did exactly the right thing. Unfortunately there''s a limited power all us humans have. We can only do what we can do.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I definitely cannot blame you for being upset. That is pretty horrific! However, you should certainly take solace in the fact that you did everything you could to help that young girl. I am sure it was really helpful to the police that you were able to get the license plate number. Sorry this all happened at such a bad time though!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord, that is terrible! Did you tell the police what you saw? You probably should talk to someone about it to "debrief" yourself. That kind of thing can leave you shaken and you won''t even realize it later. I hope that girl is ok!!! How did she get out of the car? Was there an accident, or did she jump out?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I'm really sorry this happened, for both of you. Did you catch what they said to her? And good for you for trying to help her!

I'd call the police later on to see if they found her, if it will make you feel better.
emrose.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Lauralu,

I am sorry you had to see that and sorry for the other road users who saw it too. It sounds so very strange, well done for reporting it and taking the registration of the car.

Mind yourself, stress like this could turn into post traumatic stress disorder. Talk about it and express your feelings. If you still find yoru mind coming back to this event please see your GP.

Date: 5/9/2009 12:42:06 PM
Author: Ellen
Wow, I''m really sorry this happened, for both of you. Did you catch what they said to her? And good for you for trying to help her!

I''d call the police later on to see if they found her, if it will make you feel better.
emrose.gif

Great advice Ellen, but call the local station not 911.
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awful. No wonder you''re shook up. I hope that she''s ok.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh mercy! But you handled it really well! I hope the girl is ok.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How horrifying...I''m sorry you had to see that. And I am so glad you kept your wits about you and gave the cops the license plate - your help may save the girl''s life. I hope she ends up OK...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m very sorry you saw that.

My mind runs to abuse, runaway, gang violence, etc. But, in the extreme case that it some weird initiation, etc going on, at least she got to see that there is always help for her even in a stranger.

You did the right thing.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
So bizarre. It would take me a long time to come to grips with something like that. I can''t imagine witnessing that and being left wondering the outcome.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Horrible.

When I was 16 I saw a pedestrian hit by the car in the lane next to me & my mom, and killed. One shoe flew off and hit our windshield.

Seriously, it''ll take you a bit to get over seeing something like that. Good on you for trying to help; I hate how so many people choose not to get involved when someone desperately needs help.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I''m SO sorry you went through such a scary event like this. You were an angel to this girl and I hope you will remember that you did what you could to help her when she needed you. Meeting with the Officiant right after may have been the best thing and I hope you were able to talk about it with him/her. Please talk about this as much as you need to for as long as you need to.....prayers for comfort and healing for the girl and for YOU, too!

I witnessed a man who had his foot caught underneath his motorcycle yesterday afternoon. He was stuck at a stop sign in our neighborhood and couldn''t get the huge thing uprighted and off of his ankle. There were other cars around waiting for him to move, but nobody would help him! I saw that he was in trouble and got out of my car and asked if he needed help. He was very embarrassed, he said, but I could tell that he was glad that I was there. I did my best to help hold his bike steady so he could get his foot free. Some of the neighborhood kids were riding their bikes down to see what was going on and they were making funny noises. Anyway, he tried and tried to get back on his bike and finally did after much struggle. I offered to get him some water or anything to help him feel better and he just wanted to get going again.

This has shaken me up so much...one, that the poor man was stuck like that and in pain, and two, that NOBODY was helping him! It still makes me sick to my stomach to think about this poor man....I know his ankle was banged up pretty bad.

Lori

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
hello all.. I want to say thank you to everyone for your kind words, thoughts and cyber hugs. This means so much to me. I have been gone most of the day wedding planning and to come home and read this at a time when my mind is not preoccupied as it was today. Meeting with our officiant, caterer,flower shop. I never thought I would be able to accomplish what I did today with my FI after going thru what I did this morning. However, with his help I did. The busier I was, the less time I had to think.

Now that I am not busy, having all of this to read from all of you. thank you, thank you so very much.

Everyone who said this is about not having closure is so correct. I do not know where she is. even if I knew she was in a hospital but did not know her condition. I would feel better. However, the way she was driven off....where is she? Did she get the help she needed? Is she alive? What the heck happened? I now believe the way she came out of that window she must have jumped. My mind just goes and I wonder. Was she so scared that she thought jumping was the only way out? Was she on drugs and this happened due to drug use? Was the person that picked her up the same person she was with when this happened?

It could have been. They would have had enough time to take the exit up ahead, circle around, get back on the freeway and back to where we were. If that was the case this person looked like it could have been her mother. Where they arguing and she did this stupid stupid stupid thing and her mom now has to live with this image of her child throwing herself out the window? Or worse, her child is permanently injured or dieing? She is someones daughter whatever happened to her today. i hope her parents are with her.

The 911 dispatch makes me upset as well. The ambulance was on it's way. I was on the phone with 911 and telling this girl it would be okay I was getting her help. I was saying Sweetie, it will be okay. I am calling for help. They will be hear soon. This car than pulled up and I did not hear what the lady in the car said to her. but she basically fell into the car. The driver was reaching over her to close the door. As they drove off I told the 911 dispatch that she was picked up by someone and gave the license plate #. Than the 911 guy asked what kind of car was it? I told him, than he said, So she is not there any longer correct? I said yes correct and he said. Well than there is no need for an ambulance any longer and I started to say I guess not and how I had never witnessed anything like this before and I than realized there was no-one on the other end of the line. he had hung up!!!!! No one has contacted me, they have my number. What is it they are doing?

I wish there was some way i could find something out. Does anyone think if i called the hospital and told them what I saw today that they would tell me if a teenager had been admitted from fall out a vehicle? She could not have been more than 16 or 17 years old.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hope they would have contacted the police to investigate this. But you did all you could.

I am so glad you were able to go on with the many things you needed to do today!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh my God. You must have been terrified. I am so sorry, but you handled yourself beautifully. You did the right thing, and you should be so proud of yourself.

I''m sorry you''re feeling broken...it must have been horrible to witness. But you''re a wonderful person for helping...and I''m sure this girl is thanking you a million times over for being a source of comfort.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
lauralu -

you need to call the police. either she jumped or she was pushed. if she was pushed, i''m pretty sure you have a legal responsibility to report it. if she jumped, then in many jurisdictions, given that that would probably be classified as an attempted suicide, she would be automatically involuntarily committed.

given that you have the car''s license plate, my own feeling is that you need to call the police and report it. don''t go through 911, go through your local police station or, better yet, the police station closest to the place where it occurred. you can then have an officer''s name and can follow up to some extent on what proceeds.

given that you also reported it to 911, the police will be able to validate the time etc and should follow up on your report of a potential crime.

i know it''s distressing, but given what you witnessed, it seems that the girl in question''s well being is definitely at stake.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I thought that by calling 911 police would automatically be involved as well? I thought they went hand in hand? if they do not, than I most definitely need to call. no matter how distressing. I have no issues with calling the police on this. I really have thought all day long that police would know via 911...I have been expecting a call from them asking me what I saw.

There had to be others that at least called even though they did not get out of their cars. I know there are cameras on that stretch of freeway.

Distressing yes, it does not stop me from getting involved more if need be. I keep thinking though there is no way she cannot be severely inured. hopefully she is in the hospital somewhere.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I called the police. They said that the incident was taken care of and there was nothing more they needed from me. They could not tell me what they did, if she was found ect. Not even if there were any other callers.

That is all I can do .....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did the right thing and handled it well. You were calm and able to think rationally despite the adrenaline rush and shock.
36.gif
It''s good that the police have everything they need to check the case out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results