shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got engaged! 2 ct princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicagogal

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I've been reading your posts for quite some time now and have learned a lot! Thank you to everyone!

Here are the stats of my new ring:
Center: 2.05 ct Princess
E, SI1
7.44 x 6.70 x 5.16
depth 77, table 77.
Band: Platinum, Eternity style with .67 in rounds.

I especially wanted to post this for all those who are worried about the depth of a princess stone. I've heard from several people who were formerly "round only" believers that this stone is the most brilliant princess cut they have ever seen. It outperforms all of the others we compared it to, so I guess that confirms the "you have to see the stone" theory.

I should mention though that I think it has a bit to do with the fact that its a rectangular princess because although the length measurement isn't taken into consideration when calculating the depth, it must have some effect on it. Your thoughts?

Rebecca

rlm prin ring.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
wow!! Nice BIG stone~
love.gif

Congradulations on your engagement .. !! I know what you mean about not being able to get anythine done.
appl.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on your engagement...Nice Ring!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chicagogal,

Beautiful princess and setting!
21.gif
Congratulations!

I definitely subscribe to the "have to see it" theory because the depth on my radiant cut defies the standards. Mine also outshines the others in its category as well. I hadn't thought about the length being a determining factor. I will be interested in seeing what other have to say regarding that possibility.

Again, your ring is stunning
appl.gif
!!!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks great! Congrats!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/1/2004 10:36:24 PM chicagogal wrote:

I especially wanted to post this for all those who are worried about the depth of a princess stone. [...] I should mention though that I think it has a bit to do with the fact that its a rectangular princess because although the length measurement isn't taken into consideration when calculating the depth, it must have some effect on it. Your thoughts?

----------------

Congratulations for the great ring and awesome story !
1.gif

About the depth: the formula surely does it's trick: depth % computed as depth/ short side gives 77% and it would be 69% if the long side is used instead. A square princess with 6.7mm side for which this formula would be unbiased, has 10% less surface than your stone.
2.gif

Would I like this stone to be 65% deep? Trading depth for sparkle is not what I mean, as a "princess-cut detractor" I might have sounded like in former posts
9.gif
Would this difference in depth mean alot of extra face-up size? - Not really. You surely had it right!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement Rebecca! What a beautiful and very distinctive ring. Will your wedding band be matching- or is it too soon to ask?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
congratz and wonderful story
21.gif

can i pls have ur finger size as information for the eye candy folder. thank you
5.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations for a fellow Chicago gal.

chicagogal

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU for all the replies! I agree 100% about the depth calculation not applying directly to rectangular stones... but it's too bad there's not a separate set of measurements for them. With radiants too it's so difficult to judge by the numbers.

My finger size in 5 1/4. And I'm actually considering the idea of not having a separate wedding band. Or maybe simply having a plain ring that I would only wear when I don't want to wear my diamond (not sure when that would be though!!)

The problem is that I don't want to cover up the beautiful sides or the two "surprise diamonds" that are at the base of the prongs.

Any ideas? I know of a few people who don't have a separate wedding band... do you?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Chicagogal,

I know a couple of women that wear their e-rings as wedding rings and also women that opted to get a wedding band that stands on its own and wear their e-ring on their right hand. Whatever works best for you and suits your individual style is the way to go.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rebecca,

My radiant is posted on this forum under "MY NEW RADIANT RING" and I don't have a band that I will wear with mine.

I think yours is stunning alone and I am with you, I would not want to cover up your surprise diamonds on the sides!!

With a ring like yours, I cannot imagine when you would want to wear just a band either!!
wacko.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
just wear ur ring without a wedding band. i know of alot of women who have come to wear their diamond e-ring without a wedding band. ur fingers r on the small side and u have such a wonderful ring with the suprise diamonds at the side.
5.gif

phillygrl

Rough_Rock
I love your ring! The band is quite unique - I was wondering if you had it custom made or if you purchased it from a jeweler in the Chicage area-if so I'd love to know who. Congrats!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that today I was in the Diamond District in NYC, doing my usual hunting for the perfect stone, and I found a 1.5 E, VVS2, 1.0 ration (perfect square at 6.61x6.61x3.99) and it was the most brilliant diamond I have ever seen! Granted that the pavilion was a bit short, so the fire wasn't there as much, but with such white sparkly brilliance and scintilation, i was impressed to pieces. So, seeing aperfectly square diamond showing a sparkle that literally everyone around thought it unprecidented, I can't believe it's the length to width ratio that sparkles your diamond so. Maybe it is just cut really well, excellent angles, and phenomenal polish....Either way, congrats and all the best!!!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Rebecca...

That is a most lovely and unique ring.

Best wishes on your engagement and much future happiness!

win

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It's funny that you all mention wearing just the engagement ring without a wedding band. I have a friend who is outraged that this woman she knows just got a new diamond ring and she wears it without a wedding band. I asked my friend why that bothered her so much and she said, "Because wouldn't all of us love to go around wearing just an engagement ring?" I laughed and told her to go for it! If she wants to wear just an engagement ring, what's stopping her? She said, "I can't! I'm married!"

I mean, it's not like guys are gonna hit on her. A diamond ring usually takes care of that. doesn't it? I cracked up at how upset my friend was over this idea.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and setting! I love that it's a rectangular princess, very fetching.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I can understand what your friend is saying, Patty, although our reasons may be differnt. Maybe it is a matter of tradition. I know I am funny about not having my wedding ring on when I go anywhere. I don't know exactly why, but before leaving the house, I always put it on even if I don't put on my e-ring with it.

Also, I have tried on a few e-ring styles that are not to be worn with a band also (1 ring as both e-ring and wedding band), and as much as I love the look of the ring, the traditional part of me MUST have an e-ring and wedding combination. Maybe it's my age . . .
rolleyes.gif

Diamondlil

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
That is one HUGE princess diamond!!
love.gif
Gorgeous ring too!!
love.gif

Many Congrats on your engagement!
1.gif

chicagogal

Rough_Rock
Thank you again to everyone for all the compliments! I chose the setting at a store here in Chicago if you're interested www.holtzmanns.net

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Simply gorgeous, and you captured the fire and beautiful cut perfectly. Great photo.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results