shape
carat
color
clarity

Just found this forum looking for answers u people seem smart

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jr1

Rough_Rock
I am a new diamond buyer and have been looking for a stone for an engagement ring. I have narrowed it to two stones.

1.20 f vs2 $6875

and

1.29 h vvs1 $7675 Are these prices reasonable and which is a more desireable stone??

(also the 1.29 is spread a little and looks almost like a 1.5)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is not enough information to tell me which stone is prettier.
1. What shape is it?
2. Dimensions?
3. What is the depth and table %?
4. Polish and symmetry?
5. Crown and Pavilon %?
6. Which lab certified the stone?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 10:18:50 AM
Author:jr1
I am a new diamond buyer and have been looking for a stone for an engagement ring. I have narrowed it to two stones.

1.20 f vs2 $6875

and

1.29 h vvs1 $7675 Are these prices reasonable and which is a more desireable stone??

I don''t know what shape and cut..., BUT, I will take a true F-VS2 over an H-VVS1 ANY DAY!!! Especially if it is more attractive in price...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 10:33:37 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 2/20/2007 10:18:50 AM
Author:jr1

1.20 f vs2 $6875

and

I don''t know what shape and cut..., BUT, I will take a true F-VS2 over an H-VVS1 ANY DAY!!! Especially if it is more attractive in price...
That''s true DiaGem. I''d rather a true F VS2 than a H VVS1 anyday. Why pay more for something you can''t see.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
An F / VS will look better than any lower grade colour stone of similar or better clarity. Anything from IF to VS2 from a visual, non-magnified view (and other things beings being equal such as cut grade) looks identical without the aid of a loupe. So once set in a ring, you wouldn''t be able to tell a IF from a VS2 simply by looking at it from a distance.

Of course, things aren''t always equal and that''s where cut quality comes in.

As people have suggested, you need to post the full specifications of the diamonds before we can give you a qualified assessment of whether we think they''re a ''good'' buy.

jr1

Rough_Rock
Im sorry i dont know all that stuff. All I know is that they are round brilliant stones that are EGL. The F is ideal and the H is premium. The woman also kept telling me about how the 1.29 was 7.4 mm wide whatever that means to anybody. I am just looking for an opinion based on what I know, but I understand that you guys are prob experts and will want more stats on the stones.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:45:43 AM
Author: jr1

Im sorry i dont know all that stuff. All I know is that they are round brilliant stones that are EGL. The F is ideal and the H is premium. The woman also kept telling me about how the 1.29 was 7.4 mm wide whatever that means to anybody. I am just looking for an opinion based on what I know, but I understand that you guys are prob experts and will want more stats on the stones.
Well, in order for you to truly know whether they are well cut diamonds or not (and cut is the most important characteristic of the diamond when you''re talking about the grade stones you are considering) we need to know the measurements.

The sales person telling you it has a 7.4 mm diameter, while that is helpful, it could mean that the stone is cut very shallow in order to make the stone appear larger, but what it does in actuality is leak light through the sides or bottom. You want a stone that is cut to ideal or near-ideal proportions, that way you maximize the amount of fire and brilliance that is reflected back to your eyes.

A well cut diamond will appear larger than it actually is, because it will be reflecting light from edge to edge, whereas a poorly cut diamond will likely look smaller than it actually is because light will be lost from the edges.

Do you have access to the EGL certificates? Does the store have a megascope or sarin reports for their diamonds?

EGL is also known for being a little soft in their grading on diamond clarity - for example, your VS2 might actually be a SI1, which still would be OK if it were eye-clean and well cut...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 10:45:43 AM

I think its way to shallow for an ex. cut.... (and it is the H....)

jr1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. Im prob in over my head. I didnt know there was that many things to know. I dont have all that info and copys of the certs. Honestly i probably wont even look at that stuff before i buy one, which may disgust some of you. I just found two that looked good and one looked significantly bigger and the other brighter. I guess my choice is simpler with less knowledge. I will prob just pick one and hope my girlfriend likes it.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:06:42 AM
Thanks for the help. Im prob in over my head. I didnt know there was that many things to know. I dont have all that info and copys of the certs. Honestly i probably wont even look at that stuff before i buy one, which may disgust some of you. I just found two that looked good and one looked significantly bigger and the other brighter. I guess my choice is simpler with less knowledge. I will prob just pick one and hope my girlfriend likes it.
Well, have you considered buying a diamond online? If you go to whiteflash or goodoldgold they have basically pre-selected diamonds by hand for you... so they have an expert who has looked at each diamond, run it through their gamut of tests, and has made a decision that it is a well proportioned and well cut diamond. As long as you get one of their excellent cut diamonds you really can''t make a bad decision....

I bought from good old gold and it was a fantastic experience, and I know there are plenty of other very happy customers from good old gold and whiteflash, james allen, superbcert, and bluenile.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:06:42 AM
I agree, there''s a lot to learn isn''t there?
1.gif

And you''re right, it CAN make it much simpler to know nothing and just pick one. There''s that saying:

Ignorance is bliss. There''s some truth to that.

However, just picking something, which in this case is something she may wear forever, and marks a momentous ocassion, is rather risky at best, disasterous at worst.

Could I kindly offer one piece of advice? If you are wanting to buy from a retail store, if you stick with an AGS000 stone, that is much safer. And you most likely will end up with a stone your girl will truly love.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results