Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Just dropped my diamond ring from 1m!

La2020

Shiny_Rock
I just dropped my (less than 1 month old) diamond ring from a height of around 1m! It bounced up (around 0.7m) and down, a couple more times .... before I finally managed to catch it. :doh:

From the x10 loupe inspection, the diamond the pave setting seems fine. A silly question; will the diamond crack? :cry2:

It is a 0.744c, vs1 and there is a tiny feather at the side. I really want to kick myself for being so careless! :wall:

Untitled-3.jpg

Ionysis

Shiny_Rock
It is very unlikely that you’ve damaged your diamond by dropping it. Under certain conditions (usually only a HARD blow) a diamond may chip, but cracking it by dropping it on the floor is not going to happen.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A heavily included diamond would be more worrisome, but a VS1 should be a solid piece of rock. I have a VS2 that is probably at least 100 years old. I have dropped it a few times myself. I am sure it has been abused through the years. It may have a small chip on a facet, but that's it. They're pretty durable stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
phew ;)2

When i droped my really cheap diamond it freaked me out (it was fine)

if your ring is due a check up now would be a good time to get it looked at

La2020

Shiny_Rock
A heavily included diamond would be more worrisome, but a VS1 should be a solid piece of rock. I have a VS2 that is probably at least 100 years old. I have dropped it a few times myself. I am sure it has been abused through the years. It may have a small chip on a facet, but that's it. They're pretty durable stones.

nearly a century old?! that is amazing! :oops2:

La2020

Shiny_Rock
phew ;)2

When i droped my really cheap diamond it freaked me out (it was fine)

if your ring is due a check up now would be a good time to get it looked at

Yes that is a good idea.

I used to own cheap inferior diamonds around 0.4. Dropped so many times but I never bothered me, since I know they are not good cuts.

However, this is the best cut and the most expensive diamond I have owned so far.... and I swear I have never seen a diamond ring rebounced so high up before.... my heart shattered when it did a couple of flips before I managed to catch it...ahahhah.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
nearly a century old?! that is amazing! :oops2:

It's an old cut cushion, or old mine cut. They stopped cutting them like this around 1920. It could be from the 1800's. I am not sure. The "old" diamond sits in a new mounting. Diamonds are pretty tough. Technically, mined diamonds are probably millions of years old. :) They've been through a lot.

Attachments

MamaBee

Ideal_Rock
I’m sure it’s fine..Do you have a loupe? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dropped a ring...or whacked them on something. I still panic but they’re always fine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
Yes that is a good idea.

I used to own cheap inferior diamonds around 0.4. Dropped so many times but I never bothered me, since I know they are not good cuts.

However, this is the best cut and the most expensive diamond I have owned so far.... and I swear I have never seen a diamond ring rebounced so high up before.... my heart shattered when it did a couple of flips before I managed to catch it...ahahhah.

Well to be fare to my little cheapie, it was cheap because i got it in a sale selling off recovered items from an insurence company
It doesn't have the fire of a PS quality stone but i do still love it,

It's main job is on my pinky keeping my great grandma's wedding ring safe
i would have been very sad if i had chipped it

its a besel set wee thing

My only good diamond rings are 2 smaller inherited depression era ERs and i would be devastated if i chipped thoses just thinking about how long it would have taken my grandad and my great uncle to save up for them

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the setting ok and still secure? That would be a concern too. I once whacked my 5 stone ring on the underside of a table (no idea how, just one of those freak things), a prong snapped off and a diamond fell out.

La2020

Shiny_Rock
Is the setting ok and still secure? That would be a concern too. I once whacked my 5 stone ring on the underside of a table (no idea how, just one of those freak things), a prong snapped off and a diamond fell out.

Hi Snowdrop, yes, I think they look secure and fine through the x10 loupe . Will be getting a x30 loupe to check ...just in case.

MillieLou

Shiny_Rock
Hi Snowdrop, yes, I think they look secure and fine through the x10 loupe . Will be getting a x30 loupe to check ...just in case.

Hold it up to your ear in a quiet place and gentle tap the side with your finger. You will hear a tiny tinkly rattle if it's come loose in the setting and needs tightening up. This happened to mine when I dropped it in the past, though the diamond was fine. I have slippy fingers and drop my jewellery quite often...

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces
    Style File: Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge
    Style File: Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge
    Diamond Prices - January 2021
    Diamond Prices - January 2021

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.