shape
carat
color
clarity

Just discovered my diamond has high HCA score...

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting. We purchased my engagement ring from a local dealer who has lots of great reviews. When we saw the diamond in store it looked nice in the office, but I didn’t know about HCA tool before. My diamond is a triple excellent diamond and I thought this is a good indicator of a quality diamond. We just picked up the ring yesterday. It sparkles like crazy in certain lights but today is cloudy and the diamond doesn’t really sparkle. In indoor environments it doesn’t really sparkle (fire?) much either. So I looked it up on google and came across the HCA tool. I inputted the specs of my diamond into HCA and got a score of 4 :cry2: I also read that if you can see flashes of blue and violet inside the diamond then it’s not a good quality diamond.

I attached screenshots of my GIA report. I tried to attach a video of my diamond by the window on a cloudy day but I can’t figure out how to do it. I also attached a pic of my ring in my apartment in warm indoor light. I do love the setting very much but I’m concerned about the centre diamond.

If this diamond isn’t good quality, I’m hoping to exchange it for another one in their database (GIA #5181585334) but it costs a bit more. Can you give me some advice? What should I do? We’re trying to stay within a budget since we’re buying a house at the same time. Do good quality diamonds with high HCA scores exist? Thanks in advance!

2EB18EBD-D7F3-4276-A3E6-E63259506A5A.jpeg

Attachments

• F4432D09-5DA0-4DE7-AB5B-C4AF5EF33688.png
    F4432D09-5DA0-4DE7-AB5B-C4AF5EF33688.png
    866.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 3AA2D39A-18BE-4C7A-AFAA-45EEC57A4FD4.png
    3AA2D39A-18BE-4C7A-AFAA-45EEC57A4FD4.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 167

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure why my GIA screenshots didn’t save... here they are again.
5C242636-CD6C-4410-85E4-19C5B1C1D340.png FF9BE0D6-7B38-449C-8842-55F52F6A72FB.png

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your current stone is known as a "steep/deep" diamond because it has a high crown angle (35.5 deg) and is cut too deep (63.1%). This stone most likely has light leakage and won't look as shiny and sparkly as an ideal or superideal cut stone.

The alternative stone you linked isn't well cut either since the crown angle is too shallow (32.5 deg)

If you post your budget and specifications regarding the 4Cs we can help you find a better diamond.

Coconutpalm

Rough_Rock
If you are not happy with it and still within the return/exchange period I would find another. During my search, I did find many well cut GIA Triples with HCA scores under 2.

The experts can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I learned, here are the porportions you want.
table: 54-56
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

H VS2: This one is cut too deep, the 63.1 depth will cause the light to leek instead of reflecting back to you.
5181585334: I don't like the 32.5 crown angle too much. And I think the VVS1 clarity is overkill especially if you want to stay within budget.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA grossly rounds the numbers on the report with in the GIA rounding is a much better HCA score.
I'm going to put my neck way out out and say the picture looks like it could fall within the good side of the rounding.
However the girdle size is costing you some spread.

Diamonds look very different in different lighting conditions.
Fire in some
White flashes in others
Brightness and contrast in others.
On a cloudy day and in flat lighting inside, brightness and contrast will be more prevalent.
That is what the picture you posted is showing.
Overall brightness with areas of contrast.
As the diamond is moved around the brightness and contrast shifts and different moving patterns are observed.

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply! So even though the HCA score is 1.7 for the other diamond, it's still not a good quality one? I don't know if I can get a refund on this ring since the setting was customized, so I'm hoping to just exchange the center stone if possible. We're looking for just under a carat, triple excellent, G-H, anything above VS2, no fluorescence.

Edited to add that I'm in Canada so my selection is limited somewhat :(

Coconutpalm

Rough_Rock
If on budget the best balance for me was G,H/ VS1,VS2,SI1
VS1: Is the highest I would go, I would say majority VS1 are all eye clean and the only inclusions VS1 have are very minor.
VS2: I feel VS2 is best balance for budget, you do get slightly more inclusions but most are eye clean.
Si1: Is even better for budget if you can find one that is eye clean, but there is always one major inclusion that made the diamond get the lower SI1 grade.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HCA is only meant as an elimination tool, not a selection tool. So a HCA under 2 means investigate further but doesn't mean it is a good diamond for light performance.

Thanks for your reply! So even though the HCA score is 1.7 for the other diamond, it's still not a good quality one? I don't know if I can get a refund on this ring since the setting was customized, so I'm hoping to just exchange the center stone if possible. We're looking for just under a carat, triple excellent, G-H, anything above VS2, no fluorescence.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not a fan of 5181585334 with the shallow crown angle and steep pavilion.

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
What about this one? GIA #1255037838. Thanks!

justdeb__

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Tina Chen If the sparkle is what you're after, I would focus in an ideal cut stone over color and clarity. From I've learned on this forum and others, a well cut 0.9 stone will face up even larger than a 1ct and give off the sparkles you're after, even in lowlight. If you're able to drop color to an I, or possibly a J if you're not color sensitive, you can possibly stay under budget and get an ideal cut stone for the same price you paid for yours.

The HCA tool was helpful in my search, but I also used Diamond Database to compare different stones. It will ask you plug in the dimensions of the 2 stones you're comparing and it will tell you whether your stone will look it's weight. Diamond Database, HCA calculator, and PS forums was what helped me select our little fireball. I hope you're still able to return the stone. Good luck!

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone... I will reach out to my jeweler to see if the ring is refundable, but I have a feeling it's only exchangeable... in which case I would need to rely on him to find me another diamond with a good HCA score.

Can someone tell me if this is a good diamond? GIA #1255037838.

justdeb__

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Tina Chen Does your jeweler require you to buy a stone from them to be able to purchase their setting?

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Tina Chen Does your jeweler require you to buy a stone from them to be able to purchase their setting?

The jeweler sells loose diamonds and then you can customize the setting. I may be able to return just the diamond but keep the setting but I'm not sure. His website does say there's a 30 day return policy. He did discount the setting for us though since we bought the diamond from him as well. So I don't know how I feel about returning just the diamond...

Last edited:

justdeb__

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone... I will reach out to my jeweler to see if the ring is refundable, but I have a feeling it's only exchangeable... in which case I would need to rely on him to find me another diamond with a good HCA score.

Can someone tell me if this is a good diamond? GIA #1255037838.

The numbers look good, but I'm sure most PSers here would ask to see an IdealScope image of the diamond to make sure it's worth pursuing.

justdeb__

Rough_Rock
Premium
The jeweler sells loose diamonds and then you can customize the setting. I may be able to return just the diamond but keep the setting but I'm not sure. His website does say there's a 30 day return policy. He did discount the setting for us though since we bought the diamond from him as well. So I don't know how I feel about returning the diamond...

Would you be comfortable sharing how much you paid in total, or just for the diamond itself?

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
Would you be comfortable sharing how much you paid in total, or just for the diamond itself?

We paid $8000 CAD in total after taxes, so $7142.85 CAD before taxes. This is approximately $5590.73 USD.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many retailers will exchange diamonds in good faith - return policies are a hit and miss situation. Given that your ring was so recently purchased even an explanation of “I didn’t like the way it looks in my living room at home” or something similar is often enough to qualify for (at least) an exchange.

Asking your jeweler for a selection of diamonds in a certain price-range with the criteria you’ve settled on is very reasonable. You can use the HCA score to eliminate some of them and then research the others via GIA report # (and ask for opinions here!)

Do note that if your jeweler is “calling in” the diamonds for review prior to purchase there may be a limit on the number he can call in, or a small charge to cover extra shipping or stocking fees.

Any return or exchange will, of course, be up to that jeweler’s discretion based on policy - but (if good business practices aren’t enough of a motivator) most retailers will work to keep you happy so Yelp and Google reviews stay nice.

love_diamonds_

Rough_Rock
Premium
Many retailers will exchange diamonds in good faith - return policies are a hit and miss situation. Given that your ring was so recently purchased even an explanation of “I didn’t like the way it looks in my living room at home” or something similar is often enough to qualify for (at least) an exchange.

Asking your jeweler for a selection of diamonds in a certain price-range with the criteria you’ve settled on is very reasonable. You can use the HCA score to eliminate some of them and then research the others via GIA report # (and ask for opinions here!)

Do note that if your jeweler is “calling in” the diamonds for review prior to purchase there may be a limit on the number he can call in, or a small charge to cover extra shipping or stocking fees.

Any return or exchange will, of course, be up to that jeweler’s discretion based on policy - but (if good business practices aren’t enough of a motivator) most retailers will work to keep you happy so Yelp and Google reviews stay nice.

Thanks! I do believe he is "calling in" the diamonds that are listed on his website. I will give him these specs and I will check their HCA scores.

Table 54-57
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion angle 40.6-41
Depth 61-62.5

Appreciate everyone's help! If anyone comes across a good quality diamond within our budget, please let me know!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I do believe he is "calling in" the diamonds that are listed on his website. I will give him these specs and I will check their HCA scores.

Table 54-57
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion angle 40.6-41
Depth 61-62.5

Appreciate everyone's help! If anyone comes across a good quality diamond within our budget, please let me know!

Just FYI - While these specs are a nice guideline, there will still be great performing diamonds that sit outside the ranges here because all of the angles, together, work with one another to create light return.

Someone who may like a 60/60 diamond, for example, may disagree with these specs. You can let the jeweler have some flexibility , you may even point him the way of the HCA to save him time In selecting diamonds for you. Diamonds in the .9 carat range with these specs may also come at a higher cost due to market demand and the possibility that more diamond rough was discarded to hit these particular angles.

Anyway - you’re on the right track and your jeweler may have a bit of work ahead of him!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results