shape
carat
color
clarity

Just curious about GIA diamond time from lab to store, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I was just curious to see if anyone knew the duration from when a diamond was graded at the GIA lab (the date on their certificate) to the time it reaches the stores for sale to the public?

Also I'm currently in the process of buying a diamond online (ps vendor) and even though I read nothing but great things on this forum and personally he has been absolutely great to deal with this purchase... But I'm hesitant to wire transfer the full amount without having the diamond and since after confirming that we're buying the diamond, the next day the same exact diamond has been re-listed on their site. When talking to him about it, he states that it just takes a while for it to be taken off the site but I don't understand why it's been re-listed as a different ID number, and at a higher price. Any ideas? I don't doubt him and am counting down the days until I receive my diamond but my fiance is the one who is making the purchase and is extremely anxious about it... and if he doesn't agree to pay for it, no diamond for me!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2010 2:50:35 PM
Author:Cinna
Hello!

I was just curious to see if anyone knew the duration from when a diamond was graded at the GIA lab (the date on their certificate) to the time it reaches the stores for sale to the public?

Also I''m currently in the process of buying a diamond online (ps vendor) and even though I read nothing but great things on this forum and personally he has been absolutely great to deal with this purchase... But I''m hesitant to wire transfer the full amount without having the diamond and since after confirming that we''re buying the diamond, the next day the same exact diamond has been re-listed on their site. When talking to him about it, he states that it just takes a while for it to be taken off the site but I don''t understand why it''s been re-listed as a different ID number, and at a higher price. Any ideas? I don''t doubt him and am counting down the days until I receive my diamond but my fiance is the one who is making the purchase and is extremely anxious about it... and if he doesn''t agree to pay for it, no diamond for me!

There is not ''one'' answer to this question... I''ve seen diamonds be finished by a cutter in Antwerp, shipped to the U.S. for grading, then be shipped back to Antwerp to avoid taxes and then be shipped back to the U.S. for a retail account to show a customer, only to be shipped back to Antwerp since it didn''t sell and then be shipped back to another client, back and forth, back and forth... And I''ve seen diamonds go to the lab and be sold ''off paper'' and be shipped directly to a retail account without all the back and forth - so no simple answer.

If the vendor is working off of the multiple listing service relied on by the trade, it is possible that the diamond is being listed ''twice'' in two different formats and thus is appearing differently on a mirrored inventory list... There are several diamond cutters who list diamonds twice using one price for ''cash'' and another price for ''memo'' (industry term for consignment) and this creates havoc with virtual listings...

If the vendor is well known here on PS, I wouldn''t worry, just ask them what''s up... But most vendors will ship diamonds to approved independent appraisers for verification prior to being paid - which enables you to have the diamond quality confirmed prior to wiring funds - there is a list of independent appraisers listed under the Resources tab located at the top of this page, not all vendors will work with all the appraisers, so you''ll have to ask - start with the appraiser, this should be somebody who you pick and not somebody who the vendor chooses for you.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I figured as much but still thought it wouldn''t hurt to ask.
1.gif
It''s just that the diamond I''m purchasing was very recently graded considering the date on the certificate so I was just seeing if it usually took a month or two and as soon as it came out I just happened to pick it or it could even take a couple days only. Again, nothing important but just for curiosity sake.

Yeah, but for it not to be there but then suddenly appear the next day after I said I was going to purchase it made me worry a little. And when asked he said it was due to the length of time it took to be taken off the web. Just wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about relistings because I do trust him, and don''t want to offend him by continuously interrogating him or trying to ask him to do something that most brokers will not do (such as persuading him to get a method of how to not send him the full amount before verifying the stone)

He recommended Martin Fuller, and he seems to have fantastic reviews from Pricescopers. But should I still look elsewhere because that appraiser was recommended by the broker? Looking for opinions/advice on the matter. Thanks!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2010 3:39:57 PM
Author: Cinna
Yeah, I figured as much but still thought it wouldn''t hurt to ask.
1.gif
It''s just that the diamond I''m purchasing was very recently graded considering the date on the certificate so I was just seeing if it usually took a month or two and as soon as it came out I just happened to pick it or it could even take a couple days only. Again, nothing important but just for curiosity sake.

Yeah, but for it not to be there but then suddenly appear the next day after I said I was going to purchase it made me worry a little. And when asked he said it was due to the length of time it took to be taken off the web. Just wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about relistings because I do trust him, and don''t want to offend him by continuously interrogating him or trying to ask him to do something that most brokers will not do (such as persuading him to get a method of how to not send him the full amount before verifying the stone)

He recommended Martin Fuller, and he seems to have fantastic reviews from Pricescopers. But should I still look elsewhere because that appraiser was recommended by the broker? Looking for opinions/advice on the matter. Thanks!
In my opinion, no. I think it is common for us vendors to recommend people we know do good work and who will give an honest opinion of any gem that we send them.

For example, I respecet Neil Beaty immensely so he is the appraiser I would recommend within a two hour drive of a client in Colorado. I know he will tell my client exactly what he thinks about the diamond(s) I have sent, and he will not be influenced by our friendship. Good, bad or different, he will call it like HE sees it. Of course I am going to recommend him to my clients if they ask.

There have been appraisers who I know take some kind of egotisical pleasure in coming up with grades below those assigned by GIA, whose system they are using. When 80 % of the stones they grade are graded below the GIA report, someone is NOT in sinc with the system as it is being used by those who developed it. I also had problems with one who would just "happen to have" a stone in his office for my clients to look at and steer them to that stone being sold by a "friend". You can guess pretty well how many stones of mine ever went to him again.

We tend to know who the really good appraisers are, and when we know you live in his/her area, we will recommend them. We also tend to know who the charlatons are and do our best to avoid them.

I think it is natural for your jeweler to suggest someone he has confidence in, just as, unfortunately I think it is natural for you to be concerned about the referral. I think since you have read enough to read that Mr. Fuller has great reviews that perhaps you can be a little more comfortable, but I have to also say that this is a choice you must make.

Wink

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No concern regarding the referral to Martin Fuller of Fuller & Associates what-so-ever, and as Wink mentioned Neil Beatty is also a well respected ''independent'' gemologist. There are several who frequent the halls of PS who have no qualms ''telling it like it is'' in terms of their opinion of the diamond regardless of their relationship with the vendor - and that''s what I look for...

I think you''re off to a good start
2.gif

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
We've told him that we'd like to use Martin Fuller as our appraiser per his recommendation of him. He is a bit of a drive, about a hour and a half but we were definitely willing to do it once I saw the PS reviews of him
1.gif
I was just thrown off a little by the:
Date: 2/25/2010 3:04:40 PM
Author: Todd Gray
start with the appraiser, this should be somebody who you pick and not somebody who the vendor chooses for you.

But now that I see that there are no concerns as well, I'm confident in making an appointment with him soon. Thanks Todd and Wink! My bigger worry is how to approach him about trying not to wire the full payment for the diamond being able to see it/ know it's coming.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2010 4:21:07 PM
Author: Cinna
We''ve told him that we''d like to use Martin Fuller as our appraiser per his recommendation of him. He is a bit of a drive, about a hour and a half but we were definitely willing to do it once I saw the PS reviews of him
1.gif
I was just thrown off a little by the:
Date: 2/25/2010 3:04:40 PM
Author: Todd Gray
start with the appraiser, this should be somebody who you pick and not somebody who the vendor chooses for you.

But now that I see that there are no concerns as well, I''m confident in making an appointment with him soon. Thanks Todd and Wink! My bigger worry is how to approach him about trying not to wire the full payment for the diamond being able to see it/ know it''s coming.
If you are having him send it directly to your appraiser, that should not be a problem. We send gems to appraisers all the time and the appraiser knows not to release the gem without our permission, which we will not grant until we have the money. If you are wanting to receive the diamond before it is paid for, well, that is not likely to happen.

Wink

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Like Wink said...he trusts the known appraisers who post frequently on Pricescope and who consistently
offer superior customer service. Appraisers who are "Pricescope active" know most all the vendors and
there is a mutual trust factor involved. There''s nothing wrong with recommending someone who is known
to do good work and has testimonials from the Pricescope community. We (the vendors and appraisers) are
under constant scrutiny here, day in and day out. It keeps us at our best and in turn, we pledge to do our
very best for you...the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results