shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought a very strong blue fluorescent diamonds. Hazy?

diamondnoob86

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm proposing to my fiance in few days and I just received a ring from BN.
After reading through tons of information about diamonds, I was little hesitant to buy very strong FL due to its oily, hazy, milky appearance. But I came across a thread here saying VSF ain't too bad, I took the chance and purchased a 1.9c round brilliant (VS2 H Ideal cut triple excellent, VSF) from BN since price was relatively cheaper compared to others.

To me, it looks great but I have no idea how it compares to other diamonds with little or no FL. Does this look any hazy, milky to you?
It was cheaper than some of SI1's so I thought there must be some sort of a catch... :?:

20151218_012607.jpg

20151220_143704.jpg

20151220_145544.jpg

20151220_145549.jpg

diamondnoob86

Rough_Rock
Re: Just bought a very strong blue fluorescent diamonds. Haz

some more pics after washing and some flash...obviously I didn't go a great job drying it...

20151220_145422.jpg

20151220_145505.jpg

_35702.jpg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

In a similar boat - I'm having a gemologist from one of the BN vendors check the stone before they send it to me though. Mine is just a strong but I have similar concerns. Doesn't look hazy to me - but I'm not an expert. Do you have the specs for the diamond like measurements/ crown/pavilion angle etc? Could be that it isn't an ideal performer (despite being Gia triple excellent)... I've learned here there is more to cut than GIAs grading. Fluoro probably wouldn't lower the price of an H stone so much ... Colorless, yes, but it can actually improve color in a near colorless so I doubt that's it ... Experts can probably be of more help but the stone looks good to me!

diamondnoob86

Rough_Rock

I wanted to propose before Christmas so I didn't have enough time to have it inspected like you. I'll probably do it just in case before return period ends.

_35703.jpg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Well it looks good to me. Did you check it out in sunlight?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fluorescence only shows in the presence of UV lighting. So do check it in sunlight. I don't think you're going to see anything hazy in non-UV lighting. I've had a strong blue in a VS1 and there was nothing negative at all.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Take it to other jewellers and ask to see their rings. Tell them you are buying a ring and this is your sisters and it must be at least as good a color and as bright and sparkly. Then you will be able to see if the stone is cloudy or hazy. if possible ask to see it in daylight - but shaded daylight is best, and look thru the stones slightly above perfect sideways with them side by side.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

You'd need to have a look in sun light or outdoors or somewhere that has fluorescent lighting. Outdoors is good option.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1450665801|3964091 said:
Take it to other jewellers and ask to see their rings. Tell them you are buying a ring and this is your sisters and it must be at least as good a color and as bright and sparkly. Then you will be able to see if the stone is cloudy or hazy. if possible ask to see it in daylight - but shaded daylight is best, and look thru the stones slightly above perfect sideways with them side by side.
Shaded daylight is better for looking at cutting and brightness issues because of the way eyeballs and brains work, but the fluorescence/haze question requires direct sunlight. Shade has close to zero UV component. I don't even recommend sunlight through window glass because glass routinely has coatings specifically designed to block UV.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

If you're seeking peace of mind you could also look up a credentialed independent gemological appraiser. Call and ask what they'd charge to do a thorough haze/fluorescence check (SW/LW UV and microscope). It could be both inexpensive and interesting.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

John Pollard|1450715814|3964280 said:
If you're seeking peace of mind you could also look up a credentialed independent gemological appraiser. Call and ask what they'd charge to do a thorough haze/fluorescence check (SW/LW UV and microscope). It could be both inexpensive and interesting.

Best idea John, silly me!
Neil i find many fluoro diamonds take a slight bluishness in direct sunlight and it is confusing for novices and experianced gemo's. I much prefer shaded daylight for haziness - typically standing with my back to the sun (which we have a fair bit of here) and louping thru the side of the stone.
Alternatively some fluorescent tubes when the stone is very close (mm's not inches) to the tube one can see haze easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results