shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought a diamond, but i am second guessing myself now.

fred8785

Rough_Rock
So i just bought an engagement ring, my first diamond purchase, and even though i new going in that cut was the most important c, i was too distracted by everything else while i was there that i completely overlooked it. This was at the very top end of my price range, so i couldn't just go find an ideal cut at the same ct. wt. and i wanted to ideally get as close to 1ct. as i could. Now i am wondering if i should return it and just go to a lower ct. wt. with a better cut. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

The diamond i bought is a round brilliant

Measurements: 5.96 - 6.02 x 3.94 mm
Carat Weight: 0.90 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Good
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 65.8%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 38.0°
Crown Height: 17.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 70%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Just bought a diamond, but i am second guessing myself n

to me the proportions are way off the ideal range ... what is your budget ? i'm sure we can find something within the similar size range...

fred8785

Rough_Rock

well without financing my total would have to be around 3,800 for the diamond.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

yeah since the cut isn't good it is facing up like a 0.75 carat diamond (meaning the dimensions of your diamond are the same as the dimensions of a 0.75 carat diamond...does that make sense?)

this one looks nice, the carat weight is smaller but the face up size is the same
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2517142.htm

fred8785

Rough_Rock

Ok so by the sounds if it i am probably going to return the one i have, and probably go for something like that james allen one. Thank you guys for your responses.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

since you have a budget, i'd encourage you to strive for the biggest size with the best cut. an I color faces up white and is much more affordable. SI 1 is also a good choice it is eye-clean and much more affordable than in the VS range. i found you a few that have ideal light performances, guaranteeing that your diamond will sparkle like a fireball :

here are a couple that are definite excellent choice :

0.86 F SI1 $3590 pricescope discounted price, additional 1.5% off if you use bank wire (ask for idealscope image) :

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1331620.asp

0.87 I VVS2 $3510 pricescope discounted price, additional 1.5% off if you use bank wire (ask for idealscope image) :

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1354944.asp

here are a couple worth researching more on (if you'd like to reach a slightly bigger size) :

0.91 I VS2 $3700 pricescope discounted price, additional 1.5% off if you use bank wire (ask for GIA cert and idealscope image) :

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1355359.asp

0.92 I SI1 $3530 pricescope discounted price, additional 1.5% if you use bank wire (ask for AGS cert, actual diamond photo, idealscope image) :

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1356115.asp

once you've requested the images / certs, make sure you post them here so that we can further evaluate those for you to make a final decision!

fred8785

Rough_Rock

Thank You!

As soon as i return the ring, and have the funds, ill post the pictures of the ones i'm thinking about :D

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

no problem ! happy to help :wavey:

one thing you can do (to avoid lurkers snatching the stones we've suggested), is to put them on hold with the vendors. for James Allen's website, you can hold up to 3 diamonds at a time. so pick your favorite 3, and just call them now and have them on hold for you for the next few days while you sort your refund out. i just don't want you to lose these options !

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fred8785|1297698360|2851459 said:
Hello guys,
So i returned the ring, and was looking at the ones you suggested and also found this one.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2562392.htm

I was wondering what you guys thought of it?

p.s. thank you frankiextah for the advice, ill definately put some on hold :D

Hi Fred,

I am glad you returned the other stone, it did not have good proportions....

As to the WF diamond it is a virtual stone that WF would have to call in for evaluation, there can be a charge involved doing this, WF will be able to advise further. I can't quite read the proportions on the report on my monitor regrettably, I am sorry to be a pain but is it possible you could type out all the info here please or the report number?

Frankie, you did a great job in this thread and many others I notice, well done!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stone-cold11|1297698944|2851471 said:
A stone in the virtual inventory, so WF will have to call it in to take pics, etc.
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/ind...tVerification&reportno=2116114451&weight=0.86
Numbers look a little on the iffy side to me.

Ah - the ever helpful SC is a few jumps ahead! :mrgreen: Thank you!

The numbers are certainly better than those of your original diamond but they are verging on what we call ' steep deep' with the crown and pavilion angles. This means there is a possibility the stone could be leaking light and not sparkle as well as it could do. Ask WF if they can find out more about this diamond or if they could suggest one which might suit you.

fred8785

Rough_Rock

Thank you guys again for your help!
hmm too bad about the dimensions... i am trying to get as close to 1 ct as i can, but my budget is now stuck at $4000 and i don't want to go lower than vs2 so i guess ill either have to go lower on the size

fred8785

Rough_Rock

also i'm obviously very new to this, how would i go about asking for the idealscope images? should i call them, or is there somewhere on, for example, the james allen website i need to go to for that, or do i just email them and ask? also is there usually i fee for this?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just call to ask.

JA can usually do this for free for most of their virtual inventories as they are located in NYC, near where most of their stones are. WF will require a deposit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fred8785|1297701030|2851503 said:
also i'm obviously very new to this, how would i go about asking for the idealscope images? should i call them, or is there somewhere on, for example, the james allen website i need to go to for that, or do i just email them and ask? also is there usually i fee for this?

As SC says, JA can provide up to three Idealscope images free of charge on most of their diamonds, apparently there can be the odd exception where getting an image is not possible. There would be costs incurred with WF if they call a stone in for you, but this also covers various images and evaluations, shipping fees etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results