shape
carat
color
clarity

Joe Escobar Trip

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
I wanted to share some pics from my trip to Joe Escobar yesterday. Gypsy was kind enough to meet me there and is one the sweetest loveliest people I have EVER met. She is just so great. My mom came with me too since she had the afternoon off and it was a really wonderful experience. I would highly recommend Joe Escobar to anyone in the bay area. They were not pushy at all and the variety of pieces was impressive.

I thought I could get away with not visiting a physical jewelry store and just do my shopping online, totally wrong. All of my preconceived notions on what I liked went straight out the window when I started trying on pieces. Three stones have been my favorite online for as long as I can remember (pears, half moons, hearts, i loved them all) and looked so different on my hand. In retrospect I should have taken photos, you'll just have to trust me that it was no good. I was lucky enough to see the exact design I originally wanted (oval with half moons) and it an instant "no" in real life, ovals did not look good on me at all (after 5 months of looking for one!) with or without the half moons. After trying on half the pieces in the store (Eric is so patient!) the clear winners were a split shank marquise and a graduated band with round stone (tbd between french cuts, rounds and trapezoids in the band):

Ring 1:
round looking cushion with round diamonds in the band and milgrain. I like the sparkliness of the band and the 6 prong setting

img_2599.jpg

Ring 2:
round stone with trapezoid diamonds in the band. I like how the center stone stands out from the band. I really wish they had a french cut band to compare to. Also like the lack of milgrain on this band.

img_2600.jpg

Both together:
img_2603_0.jpg

Ring 3:
Split shank marquise. Loved this ring which I would have never guessed from photos online. It's very unique and non traditional.

img_2602.jpg

img_2590_0.jpg

What do you guys think? Any favorites?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, sounds like an amazing visit! Personally, I like the look of the 1st and 2nd rings on your hand. Both are a great size and look incredible! But between the two, it's tricky because I prefer the band of the 2nd, but the center stone + 6-prong of the 1st. But honestly both are gorgeous so there's no "wrong" choice :)

Also, for anyone who reads this in the future and is thinking about doing all shopping online vs. trying on in person + online, I completely agree with your assessment about needing to try things on IRL. When DH and I were thinking about getting engaged, I was 100% sure I wanted either a 3-stone ring, or a pear shaped stone +halo. Turns out that when trying on 3-stone styles OR pear shaped stones I disliked both on my hand, and felt like neither looked like an engagement ring (on me, anyway). So we ended up with something totally different than I would have chosen if only shopping online. Just wanted to add my agreement to your sentiment :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sounds like at lot of FUN! Wonderful Gypsy was able to meet you IRL.

Gorgeous hands--you could wear anything! I love both the rings, :love: so I am absolutely no help. lol

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - they are all beautiful! I love number one on you but number two looks beautiful too. I love the marquise and the setting but not sure if it would be practical to wear every day.

What a wonderful dilemma to have - they are all gorgeous!

How cool that Gypsy was able to meet you there! Always nice to have another pair of keen eyes with you!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking forward to an update on your search!! They are all so pretty - I am also no help in deciding, but wanted to post a couple other split shank marquis style settings that I think would look great on you, especially because your hands are on the smaller side (and you have gorgeous hands btw!)

marquis_split_shank.jpg

marquis_split_shank_2.jpg

mss4.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was my pleasure to meet you and your mom.

Looking at the pictures... I really love the size of the cushion on you. You may want to ask Erik (give him a call) what the dimensions are on that stone.

My personal prefer is the step cut setting. But I thought all of them were nice on you.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys!!

Sandy - those are gorgeous! I love the first one. Did you finish your ring? Can't wait to see it!

I totally forgot to include the third round with graduated band option - french cuts:

unnamed__4__0.jpg

I'm starting to lean towards it even though I didn't have a chance to see them in person. They seem like best of both worlds with the sparkliness of brilliant cut and the contrast to main stone I liked in trapezoids.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking the band you are referring to with trapezoids might have started out with traps, but I would think the stones would eventually be uniform in size, right? Sounds like maybe they are step cuts which would be called carre cuts which are like asschers without cut corners?

I do love the graduated band with french cuts. French cuts will likely be the highest priced option. Did you try on wedding bands with all of these rings? Because if you do plan to wear a band with it, you really need to go back and try on wedding bands with the rings you liked. It will be a little harder to find a band to wear with this style ring.

I like all of the graduated band rings. I don't think the marquise looks like a daily wear ring. We have already had a member here who sold hers because she was accidentally poking her young children with it! The shank on this one looks pretty delicate, too. It's maybe more of a special occasion or rhr and would not really work with a band.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I am thinking the band you are referring to with trapezoids might have started out with traps, but I would think the stones would eventually be uniform in size, right? Sounds like maybe they are step cuts which would be called carre cuts which are like asschers without cut corners?

I do love the graduated band with french cuts. French cuts will likely be the highest priced option. Did you try on wedding bands with all of these rings? Because if you do plan to wear a band with it, you really need to go back and try on wedding bands with the rings you liked. It will be a little harder to find a band to wear with this style ring.

I like all of the graduated band rings. I don't think the marquise looks like a daily wear ring. We have already had a member here who sold hers because she was accidentally poking her young children with it! The shank on this one looks pretty delicate, too. It's maybe more of a special occasion or rhr and would not really work with a band.
I agree. The Marquise is a cocktail ring and not a daily ring. It's beautiful though.

My Marquise is low profile and doesn't scratch thankfully.
d01ba4b2d8d1621592213cfd72ce6b22.jpg

474de7ec341c0913a31908eaba01c206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
Hi!

Sandy/DS - We decided on the french cuts with round! Easier for everyday wear. Just waiting on quotes from a few more designers.

This one randomly caught my eye https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/401ct-and-larger/409ct-Antique-Asscher-Cut/ even though it's SO different from what I usually like (has a large culet, is a step cut, etc) it just seems so beautiful. I'm going to give it a week.. Might be better to just get a smaller octavia down the line and keep engagement ring to what we decided (i'm glad he didn't wait to propose until I settled on a ring >.>)

Marquise - gorgeous ring! congratulations!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for the setting with french cuts. Although I am terribly biased as I have an OEC with french cut sides myself and I still love it every single day. French cuts are amazing and timeless/ classic. Mine is from Victor Canera and I can recommend working with him. It's might be also worthwile to ask a quote from David Klass.

And yes that antique Asscher is a dream stone. :love: Have you found the french cut sides thread? There are two french cut rings with step cut centers (emerald cut diamonds).

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
ETA: I hadn't seen that you made your decision after all. YAY for round + graduate frenchies. LOVE LOVE LOVE that style :love: :love:

On the marquise: that stone is a KNOCK OUT. Just to satisfy my curiosity - do you happen to remember how many carats it is??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results