shape
carat
color
clarity

Job dust please!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DH is pretty miserable with the new firm he joined in March - mainly due to one of his work colleagues who spends 99% of her time putting him down and making snidey and unfair comments.

Out of the blue a very senior position as Marketing Director came up at the company his brother works for (brother would be very junior) which would be perfect. It's a huge company and would be a great step up financially as well as in terms of career progression.

He had an interview and got through to the shortlist, then he had to prepare a presentation for Wednesday morning. At the end of that he was told that it was between him and one other guy, that he was the more rounded candidate but the other guy was very passionate. DH is a very analytical strategist whereas the other guy is more of an arty marketing type.

The guy who is hiring said he wasn't sure which way to go and wanted to sleep on it and would call in 24 hours.

We didn't hear anything today, but BIL said there was a crisis and the guy had had to go to Scotland to sort it out...

So, we are biting nails like crazy and trying not to do scenarios or second guess like thinking that the other guy got it and they're negotiating so DH is on the backburner in case the negotiations don't work out etc...

Anyway, it's my birthday today and the best present I could get would be DH getting this position... PS dust always seems to have worked for me in the past, so would appreciate some!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Pandy! :bigsmile: Happy happy birthday my dear! And I will send all of your birthday wish dust and all other dust your hubby's way!!! Fingers, legs, and everything crossed!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Dust, dust, dust, dust and more dust! Oh and happy birthday too!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday Pandora! I hope your husband gets this position -- good luck to him!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday!!! Hoping so hard for your DH to get the position!!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday! Here's some job dust!

ibelievedust.jpg

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you've already gotten the good news, but if not, lots of dust to you and DH. It's always helped me in the past too.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy belated birthday to you and job dust to DH.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all, but sadly we heard this morning that the other candidate was appointed.

The guy sent a very nice email saying he'd gone back and forth all weekend on the decision and so it was a really close thing.

DH is a bit miserable but being philosophical. I kind of believe that the right thing always happens so something else will be just round the corner. With the job he has now, he'd just been rejected for another position (again coming a close second) and within 4 hours of hearing that and being miserable he was headhunted for the current one...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Pandora, I'm so sorry. It's very hard when you don't get offered a position that you really wanted because you can't help but think "what did I do wrong?" even when you know it's not you. I do believe that things happen for a reason and know that he will find something he loves soon.

I have to admit that I'm surprised they went with a more artsy type as opposed to somebody whose strengths are more anchored in strategy and analysis. I feel like in the past 5 - 10 years, with the explosion of digital marketing, directors and executives are expected to have a strong understanding of strategy and analysis. It's not just about creating a campaign that is cute and catchy anymore--since results are more measurable than ever, there has to be more strategy involved.

ETA: you could keep this link in your back pocket, Pandora, just in case anything pops up at the agency where I work that interests your DH http://kissandsell.co.uk/careers

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks NEL - and thanks for the link.

I'm also quite suprised that they went with the other guy - but the interviewer admitted to DH that he'd had a fixed view of what marketing directors were like and that he'd not come across as a strategist in that field before, so he may well have gone with what he felt comfortable with.

BIL also said that other candidate was somewhat 'tiggerish' and bounced around and he could hear him doing the presention through the wall. DH is an INTJ so bouncing around and being very loud isn't his way. Part of the feedback was that the other candidate seemed more passionate!

Anyway, I'm sure another door will open soon - I just hope the colleague at work improves in the meantime. Anyway, we're off on holiday for 2 weeks on Friday and she's off for the next two so an 'A' free month at least!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora, I'm so sorry your husband didn't get the job, and I applaud your philosophical approach.

Hope your birthday was wonderful, that your husband gets a new job soon, and that his coworker shapes up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results