carat
color
clarity

Jewels of the Smithsonian...

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PS'ers!:wavey:

I thought I'd take everyone along with me on a journey to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (we just came back from visiting Washington, D.C., for spring break)! Of course, I darted directly to the gem gallery when the museum opened with my trusty camera in tow! :bigsmile:

First up, the Hope Diamond (which I think needed a quick cleaning IMHO :o). The color did not look as bright a blue as I had imagined in my mind, nor as brilliant from the pictures online. Maybe it's just the dim museum lighting? It was constantly rotating every few seconds and being watched like a hawk by the security guard! I tried to do my best under the circumstances with all of the photos!

IMG_5581.jpg IMG_5578.jpg

More info can be found here:
https://mineralsciences.si.edu/hope.htm

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a back view of the necklace which is made up of various shaped bezeled diamonds:

IMG_5574.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Gorgeous pics, @m-2-b Thanks so much for sharing the bling! :appl:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Marie Louise Diadem (700 cts OMC diamonds) given by Napoleon to his second wife, Empress Marie-Louise:

IMG_5608.jpg

Sorry that this one did not photograph well! Better photo can be seen here of all the diamonds/turquoise in all of it's glory:

https://geogallery.si.edu/10002698/marie-louise-diadem

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thanks for sharing! I’m headed there tomorrow! Can’t wait to see it all with my own eyes!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that part of the museum! Your pictures are great but being there in person is awesome, isn't it? You could just look your eyes out at all the beautiful bling! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I'd add pictures of the jewels Michelle Obama wore to the inauguration in 2009 (from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History). The ring is a Loree Rodkin rose cut halo totaling 13 cts along with 13 cts total weight of WG/diamond bangle bracelets and 61 cts of triple rose-cut diamonds with briolette cluster earrings in WG:

IMG_5686.jpg

Here's her complete ensemble (Jason Wu white silk chiffon gown embellished with Swarovski crystal and organza flowers):

IMG_5685.jpg

More info can be found here:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/first-ladies/michelle-obama

Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the PS fashionista's out there, here is a glimpse of Melania's simple yet elegant vanilla silk crepe inaugural gown as well:

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

Unfortunately, there was no bling on display for her (particularly her EC ER honker)! :(2

Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for looking, everyone! :wavey: I hope it was a bling treat for the eyes!!!:sun: :love:

Last edited:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous photos m-2-b!! It WAS a treat, we woke up to snow today in MI!! Thank you for taking them & posting, I love the Smithsonian Museums, so much fun!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results