shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewels By Grace - 3.65ct Antique Emerald - advice please!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Re: Jewels By Grace - 3.65ct Antique Emerald - advice please

I am not an expert with step cuts, so I will not try to give any technical advice, but I did see this ring in person and it is STUNNING! I am an OEC girl all the way, but this ring made me fall in love with step cuts. :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think if you've "fallen head over heels" the best thing to do is order it and see. If we talk you out of it you'll always wonder. It'd already a ring so if you get it you can at least take a good bit of time seeing it on your hand and how it feels to you in different lighting environments. Just make sure you understand her return policy fully.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The EC is well cut but is not a top performing EC. Ultimately, it is your decision whether the old style cutting trumps top performance.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Check me off as another one who saw this ring in Vegas at dinner.. It made the rounds at the table and no one wanted to pass it on! While I have an emerald I'm not an expert so I have no technical advice but I will say it's one of the most interesting cuts. That combination or EC with those windmills that give an Asscher feel is just stunning. The setting is awesome. A lot of hearts will break if you get it. :mrgreen: It's just stunning! :naughty:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's not a perfect EC or an Asscher, but in this case, that is totally cool IMHO because it's an Antique stone it's not meant to be perfect. It could have a so so ASET (we were having this discussion over on preloved) and it doesn't matter as much I think for Antique stones because you HAVE to judge them with your own eyes.

If you can get it and see and you still love it then it should be yours. And I will be super jealous because I thought about buying it too!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another one here who saw it in person in Vegas and another one that is not an EC expert but I know what I like, and baby I LIKE!! It is absolutely gorgeous in person even though it may not be perfectly cut. I don't think you would be disappointed if you got it. :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you kidding?? That is an AMAZING stone. I can believe the experts when they say it's not perfectly cut, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful, stunning or distinctive. I love that it's an EC shape but with such deeply cut corners. And that the cuts are wide and fat. OMG. If I didn't buy my ring yet, I would be ALL OVER this ring. And the setting is perfect for it. And for a BIG step cut, it's VVS. So you are NOT going to see any inclusions, which would really be obvious on a big stone and would bother me on a step cut. DROOL!!

I don't think it's really advice about the stone that you need. It's more whether you like it. AND, if it is "you". So since you asked, if you have the money, it's "you", you can see yourself wearing it, GO FOR IT!! No one else will have anything like it. (Although I can definitely see it on MY finger.) ;-)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So envious!!! If I had the spare cash... :love: :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much everyone for your comments! Being in Australia this works out to be around $70k which is an enormous amount of money!! I would have to try and do a little negotiating. Main reason for my post is that I'm wondering would I be better selecting something else that performed even better with the help of our lovely pricescopers or is this too good of an opportunity?

I had a local diamond guy source a 3 carat emerald and that set in platinum with tapered baguettes would be $51k Aussie so it's s huge price difference.

I love the l/w ratio of Graces' and even considering a partial trade or consigning my princess cut with her but I may be better off selling locally too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That makes it more difficult, can you create an excuse to go to the US and look at it? I don't think it's a simple matter of comparing it to stones here - you aren't going to find anything like it here and most of the vendors I have seen here do not stock particularly well cut Emerald cuts anyway.

If you buy it we will have to do coffee somewhere my shout I want to see it and drool at it in person!!! :sun:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also tried on this ring, and the proof is pictured below! Are you wanting an antique emerald cut? if you are, then I think you may be looking for a very long time to find another this good. If you just want a regular emerald cut and aren't specifically interested in this ring as a whole, then sure, you can find another emerald cut that may be a little better cut. But you will generally not find emerald cuts with the cut perfection of say, hearts and arrows round brilliants.

I DO love antique emerald cuts and would probably have bought it myself had it been just under 3 cts which might have made it within my budget. I love the setting and sides stones, too.

2015-05-29_4.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Arkieb1! If I do go ahead I'll most certainly have a coffee and play!! Its truly spectacular! Diamondseeker - it looks amazing on your hand. Apart from the price tag the only other issue for me would be the I colour and making sure I can cope with that.

Does anyone know much about negotiating on such a highly priced item?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will speak generally about negotiating because I have never negotiated with Grace specifically. It is good to do some price comps yourself for similar size/spec center stones. (I see a couple of 3.5x ct I VVS2's for $45-47K.) It is hard to make a direct comparison with antique and new stones, but that will be your only choice with this particular stone. Determine what you think it is worth. You can approach it several different ways. You can ask the vendor what their bottom-line price is. If that is above what you think the ring (or diamond) is worth or more than your budget, you can always offer less. You never know, if the ring doesn't sell, they may decide to take the offer or make a counter offer.

You are in a difficult position being in another country because you obviously need to see the ring to know if you 100% want it, especially if you aren't sure about I color. I think GIA I color is nice, and I would be happy with it, especially since the price of H would significantly increase the price! But it may be costly to see it and then return it, because you might have to pay for the shipping. That would probably be the first thing I would find out.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have two issues one that it's a high clarity stone you are paying for that no escaping it and other other issue is if there are other people that want it that are willing to pay the price then it is less likely Grace will negotiate on price. If you get the newsletters you should have already seen the slightly discounted price but because this stone is a new piece I would not expect there to be much discount.

If you are not going to fly over and get it - you also need to not only add the 25% in exchange rate differences but the taxes as well.

What colour is your current stone for reference? Are you going to be happy with something with a slower scintillation pattern than a princess cut?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Who cares about numbers...it is a unique stone and to my untrained eyes I thought it was a beautiful stone! Also I love the charming fact that you get one point for each day of the year :bigsmile:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1435198823|3893880 said:
Who cares about numbers...it is a unique stone and to my untrained eyes I thought it was a beautiful stone! Also I love the charming fact that you get one point for each day of the year :bigsmile:
I love this logic! It's very PS!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1435113011|3893324 said:
I also tried on this ring, and the proof is pictured below! Are you wanting an antique emerald cut? if you are, then I think you may be looking for a very long time to find another this good. If you just want a regular emerald cut and aren't specifically interested in this ring as a whole, then sure, you can find another emerald cut that may be a little better cut. But you will generally not find emerald cuts with the cut perfection of say, hearts and arrows round brilliants.

I DO love antique emerald cuts and would probably have bought it myself had it been just under 3 cts which might have made it within my budget. I love the setting and sides stones, too.

DS you are a good hand model. It shows a lot of color in the photo. What did you think of the color in person? It seems that it would usually face up white. [?]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is akin to the debate of perfectly cut "new" antique style versus well cut but not perfectly cut true antique. Just as some people like the maximum sparkle of the AVC or AVR, others prefer the unique character of a true OMC or OEC. A good test is to compare this antique stone to a top performing modern EC so that you will not be swayed by the size alone. Only then can you decide whether the trade off is worth it to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne|1435234322|3894035 said:
diamondseeker2006|1435113011|3893324 said:

DS you are a good hand model. It shows a lot of color in the photo. What did you think of the color in person? It seems that it would usually face up white. [?]

Thanks, I hate showing anything on these old hands, but at least it gives some size perspective! That was restaurant lighting at night which is never bright white light, so I would say that is color more from the environment than anything else. I color stones definitely take on color from the environment. My diamond can be super white outside in natural light, but in yellowish lamp light and beige walls, it can look more tinted. I still think I color is a good find in a beautiful antique stone.

Chrono, I am with you, and you know I have an AVR because I love the faceting and cut perfection combined. I know of only one modern cut stone that approaches this one in cut style and I believe is better cut. I am not posting it because someone I know might be interested in it. Plus it is a good bit higher in price than this stone.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

I saw that ring in Vegas and got to try it in in non-yellow lighting and it was spectacular. If I wasn't in the middle of searching for another shaped diamond (another antique cushion) I'd be all over this.. but alas, I must have my holy grail cushion!

img_1961.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am glad you could show a daylight picture, ROL! Truly, all diamonds take on the tint of the environment. I think I color is fabulous for antique stones, personally.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm a little clueless but what was going on in Vegas? Also, what makes an antique cut? Just that it is not a newer diamond? I read others talking about antique cuts all the time and was just wondering. I think this ring is absolutely divine!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1435288033|3894544 said:
I'm a little clueless but what was going on in Vegas? Also, what makes an antique cut? Just that it is not a newer diamond? I read others talking about antique cuts all the time and was just wondering. I think this ring is absolutely divine!!!

The Pricescope get-together--a bunch of forum members attended.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1435288033|3894544 said:

That's a really good question! There might be someone here who can give you a more technical answer, but antique cut stones are those that were cut close to 100 years ago or more. You will see many references to Old European Cuts (OECs) on the forum, and those were around before round brilliants came into being. They have larger facets, smaller tables, and lots of charm! Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace are two trusted vendors of antique stones and jewelry if you'd like to see some more pictures. There are newly cut OECs cut to have excellent light return, also, and Good Old Gold and Victor Canera are sources of those. This stone is an antique emerald cut that is similar to an asscher but slightly elongated rather than being square. These are hard to find and rarely cut today. Of course, we do have modern asschers and emerald cuts which are similar but without the large culet facet in the center. There are antique cushions and newly cut antique style cushions as well. You occasionally see antique ovals and marquise as well. French cuts are very popular around here in smaller sizes such as in the shank of a ring or wedding band. Antique style rings have been very popular among PS members and in general, so these old cut and newly cut antique stones look beautiful in settings of the period when they were originally produced!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you... How cool!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much for the explanation, makes the ring even more amazing!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1435291178|3894576 said:
Thank you so much for the explanation, makes the ring even more amazing!!!

You are very welcome! It is amazing all the things we can learn on this forum! It has become a fun and interesting hobby for many of us!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Renaissance- thank you posting this picture!!! It looks so white!!! I'm toying now with flying over and seeing it in person. Sounds crazy however for a ring this expensive I really have to see it in real life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results