shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry store lighting for the home

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kgrap

Rough_Rock
If I wanted to simulate the lighting in a jewelry store for my desk at home how could I go about it? Would a quartz halogen bulb be sufficient? I would just need the one table lamp. Is there better technology for this? Like HID systems

Thanks

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 8:18:04 AM
Author:kgrap
If I wanted to simulate the lighting in a jewelry store for my desk at home how could I go about it? Would a quartz halogen bulb be sufficient? I would just need the one table lamp. Is there better technology for this? Like HID systems

Thanks
Good question, If you cant find the answer here, i would suggest just going to a local BandM and asking them what kind of lights they up there.
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why are you looking to simulate jewelry store lighting?

kgrap

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 10:45:29 AM
Author: belle
I always end up walking into jewelry stores just to admire the diamonds sparkle, so I thought why not just have the same lighting on my table and save the trip to the shopping centre.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 11:06:39 AM
Author: kgrap

Date: 11/17/2005 10:45:29 AM
Author: belle
I always end up walking into jewelry stores just to admire the diamonds sparkle, so I thought why not just have the same lighting on my table and save the trip to the shopping centre.
fair enough
2.gif
maybe you should take your ring on a little trip to the home improvement store and hold it under the different lamps they have available and buy the one that makes your diamond sing
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 11:06:39 AM
Author: kgrap

Kgrap,

Something on this page might serve that purpose. The presentation lights maximize performance. The lights that are for grading only may not be what you''re looking for - but some of them have presentation LEDs and come with a diffuser to convert it for grading.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Wouldn''t regular halogen do the trick? We have halogen track lighting and my FI''s ring sparkles like mad under them.

Mark

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the trick is multiple small bright light sources from many angles.
The ones that are angled to shine over your shoulders when standing in front of the case are the ones to watch out for.

One place even instructs there sales people (so iv heard) where to move depending on the height of the person looking so they are the most effective at making so-so diamonds look good.
One thing nice about being 6ft tall I block em all :}

To spot this have someone tall move along the counter and watch where the light strikes them if it varies along the counter thats what they are doing.
Next have people of different heights ask to see the same diamond and see where the sales person stands.
The sales person will use every trick in the book to get the person to move to the right spot.

It pays to know lighting installers sometimes hehehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results