shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry shopping in Istanbul?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
About to brave the Grand Bazaar with my tiny budget. Any tips for finding a decent item for under $100? Thanks, PS!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JMO - I have been to Turkey and unless you are very good at bargaining or know the locals, I would not advise it. They have beautiful gold and silver, but it is at your own risk, likely, it will not be a bargain, and I would not advise you to search for any stones at Grand Bazaar. I love this country and have some friendly ties with it, and my son speaks Turkish. And yet all I bought at Grand Bazaar were two charm bracelets for 5 liras. I can find if a good jeweler I know and a gem vendor have anything below $ 100.00.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Just a warning, when I shopped there several years ago items were marked sterling but had obviously non-sterling, plated parts to them. I did get some cute gold charms and a fun snake bracelet but I would be very cautious and really look over everything. That said I'm a fan of evil eye pendants and since you're not spending alot that would be a fun item.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I bought two pairs of gold earrings there a few years ago. I was happy with them for the price. I doubt I'd buy anything really expensive there, though (i.e. thousands of dollars in value). I probably wouldn't buy any gemstones, either.

The textiles are nice and at a reasonable price.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got in touch with two jewelers I know, they can help with much cheaper purchasing, but I do not know what is allowed here. They have phone numbers but no websites. As far as I know, at least one has Facebook page (not the personal one, business page). Are links to business FB pages allowed on the PS?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't buy there! I live in Turkey for part of the year and can tell you that coloured gemstones may not be what you think! I've seen green quartz passed off as Emeralds and all sorts of other nasties. I once had a jeweller show me an "Alexandrite" and he took a lighter to it to show me the colour change! :bigsmile: :-o :bigsmile: Alexandrite? I think not! lol

However, gold is a good buy. Also if you want something made from scratch then if you take a design with you to a jeweller they can often work magic.

Just as an aside, make sure you visit Topkapi Palace - it has a brilliant display of some WONDERFUL gemstones set into jewellery, swords, armour etc!

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I would not advise buying anything too expensive in Turkey. I was there a few years ago and bought lovely gold earrings that I hope are 14K. I had to bargain like crazy and I got a fair price but certainly not a bargain by any means. I just really liked the earrings and wanted them as a memento of the trip. You will obviously have no recourse should the goods not be as represented. The sellers I dealt with in Turkey were very pleasant but pushy. If you tell them you're not interested in a leather bag, they will try to sell you a rug. They don't let you leave their shops without trying to make some sort of sale. They know you are a tourist and they will never see you again so I would guess that most vendors aren't too worried about their reputations. They are trying their best to make a living. Buyer beware. Truthfully, I would stick to leather goods and trinkets for friends and family. Evil eye merchandise is really big in Turkey and I bought some sterling silver (hopefully) evil eye jewelry that was really unique. Rugs are a possibility but there again you have to know your stuff.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right to keep your purchases for fun and under $100. I would stick with gold jewellery that are distinctly Turkish in design as something different, unique and a good reminder of your trip there. Gemstone buying there is fraught with huge risks of synthetics and simulants.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I ended up with this cute vintage(?) charm of the Kaiser Wilhelm fountain in Istanbul. A perfect souvenir that didn't break the bank!

kw2.jpg

showing the silver stamp and a flash of gold leaf inside:
kw3.jpg

and the fountain itself!
kw1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charming charm, but how do they keep the water from just falling out of that fountain?

Sorry.
I couldn't resist. :Up_to_something: ;-)

fff.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh that's pretty cute! I have a trip to Istanbul planned in a few months, so maybe I'll pick up one of my own!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Hest: this was advertised as one of a kind, and I didn't see any others lying around, so let me know if you find one and I'll demand my money back! :lol:

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
LOL! Well, maybe I'll come back with something different then!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the same thing, Hest - gorgeous charm. DH and I will be there for 2.5 weeks next month, so will keep my eyes peeled for something similar! :saint:

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Cool, Justginger. Scout out some stores for me, will ya? :sun:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
I"m going on a cruise in the fall, and we have one day there in Istanbul. I was counting on a trip to that gold souk to pick up something nice for myself. Are there some gold merchants anyone can recommend? I don't know where to go obviously, I've never been there before. I was hoping to get myself something exotic looking, a nice thick gold ring and earrings. Something distinctly Turkish design. I'm so excited to be going to the Grand Bazaar! and the Topkapi palace, the Haghia Sophia! oh boy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I hope LD sees this. I'm sure she knows where to go.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh at charm! I actually really like it plus I love that it symbolizes your trip to Istanbul. Very cool!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results