shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Repair Advice - Gemstones glued on jade

glow1818

Rough_Rock
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.56.59 PM.png

Hi All! I just purchased five jade band rings with gold bezeled gemstones in the middle, similar to the photo I have attached. I bought them from a secondhand store that does not accept returns, and two of the bezeled gemstones have already fallen out.

I adore the rings, but cannot wear them now as they have shallow holes in the middle. The stones do not go all the way through the ring but rather are glued (hence why they fall out so easily.) Does anyone have a recommendation of how to make these rings more durable? I fear that if I take them to the jeweler to be re-glued they'll just fall out again, and I was planning on having these be everyday rings (also they were quite pricey.) Any repair advice would be helpful! Thank you :)

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
A jeweler may be able to drill the gem in and seal with gold, but I would probably not recommend that solution in this case. In general, pricey jewelry should not involve glue (and should be returnable!). The fact that the stones were glued and have fallen out may mean that the pieces are not real jade, and that the material may break if drilling is attempted. Instead of repairing I would invest in a similar piece of higher quality. Sorry this may end up being an expensive learning experience.

glow1818

Rough_Rock
A jeweler may be able to drill the gem in and seal with gold, but I would probably not recommend that solution in this case. In general, pricey jewelry should not involve glue (and should be returnable!). The fact that the stones were glued and have fallen out may mean that the pieces are not real jade, and that the material may break if drilling is attempted. Instead of repairing I would invest in a similar piece of higher quality. Sorry this may end up being an expensive learning experience.

Thanks for the response! Here is a picture of one of my rings - the diamonds and gold were authenticated by the store, so I am assuming that the jade is real as well (but who knows). I love this style of jade bands with embedded gemstones and have been researching them since I purchased these rings last week and almost all of the similar ones I'm coming across are also glued !!! It's a shame, but I guess some other people must be having similar problems to me?

. ring.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results