shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry in your will

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the topic nobody wants to discuss. Making a will.

Well, I''m finally in the process of listing my belongings and who they go to. Question is, I want specific jewelry to go to certain people, and I''m sure the two I have listed as my executors (one being my DH) will have NO idea what any of the items are.

I feel silly including photos, but is this the best way?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Sure, why not? But I''d speak with an attorney...

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
I think you have the right idea, pictures would make everything easy and simple and there would be no questioning what went to who in such a tough time..
emthup.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I think photos are a great idea. It would simplify things hugely and leave no room for error or disagreements.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea. Make sure you write down the same "name" of the piece on the back of the photo as is in the will and I''d initial and date the photo as well.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 2:08:18 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I think it''s a great idea. Make sure you write down the same ''name'' of the piece on the back of the photo as is in the will and I''d initial and date the photo as well.
I agree.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Right now I have one daughter, and she gets all the jewelry. Should have more DAUGHTERS they would get some. If I have a son he''s a$$ out because I want some assurance that it would stay in the family. My daughter is a bling girl so I doubt my diamonds would end up in some thugs ears in the future.

Yes, do it!

I went through a hard time with g''mas jewelry as everyone started acting like it was a free for all... I think the best thing you can do is to make it as simple and easy as possible for people after you pass away.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I think pictures are an excellent idea. I also like HH''s idea of tagging them with whatever name you use in the will, as well as signing/initialing them, and dating them.

MC, as much as it''s a pain and so not fun to think about your own mortality, I think it''s very impressive how concerned you are that everything will get to it''s rightful owners. My mom''s done the same thing with her jewelry--well, at least the good quality stuff. It''s in her will that the distribution is kept with the jewelry, and she has a piece of paper with the expensive stuff that lists which things go to me and which things go to my sister. My sister and I have seen it many times and know there will be no arguments. Mom doesn''t care about her costume jewelry, though, so that''ll be a free-for-all...doubt it''ll cause problems, though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia - I plan to speak to an attorney. The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at online wills right now and want to have most of my expensive possessions listed before going in to talk to somebody.

Sizzle - I'm kind of in a predicament as I have only sons. Two of them. I had hoped to split most of the jewelery down the middle and I'm still in limbo about saying they can pass the items to future wives or if I want everything kept in a safe deposit until grandaughters are born and reach a specific age. It's a tough one, you know?

Swedish - with my grandpa (who recently passed away) everyone is fighting over his estate and it's turned ugly. There are four included in the will and they all are fighting over literally the tiniest of belongings. One relative took two antique beer mugs right after grandpa died and another flipped out and said they had to be returned to be inventoried to calculate the exact worth of the estate. WTH? I bet their value is $5.00.

I love that there is a part in the will form I'm looking into using where I can specifically mention individuals that I want to leave nothing to. lol I had considered leaving one pair of my smaller studs to my aunt, but sadly seeing as how nasty and angry she's become over my grandpa's estate, I no longer will be giving those to her. In fact, I hadn't talked to her in years and in two two-hour phone conversations, I was so turned off, that it'll be a long time before I do so again.
14.gif
I can't take all that crap.

Thanks everyone for helping with my question. Makes it easy now that everyone has agreed that the photos are a good idea
1.gif

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 3:54:59 PM
Author: MC
Italia - I plan to speak to an attorney. The reason I''m asking is because I''m looking at online wills right now and want to have most of my expensive possessions listed before going in to talk to somebody.

Sizzle - I''m kind of in a predicament as I have only sons. Two of them. I had hoped to split most of the jewelery down the middle and I''m still in limbo about saying they can pass the items to future wives or if I want everything kept in a safe deposit until grandaughters are born and reach a specific age. It''s a tough one, you know?

Swedish - with my grandpa (who recently passed away) everyone is fighting over his estate and it''s turned ugly. There are four included in the will and they all are fighting over literally the tiniest of belongings. One relative took two antique beer mugs right after grandpa died and another flipped out and said they had to be returned to be inventoried to calculate the exact worth of the estate. WTH? I bet their value is $5.00.

I love that there is a part in the will form I''m looking into using where I can specifically mention individuals that I want to leave nothing to. lol I had considered leaving one pair of my smaller studs to my aunt, but sadly seeing as how nasty and angry she''s become over my grandpa''s estate, I no longer will be giving those to her. In fact, I hadn''t talked to her in years and in two two-hour phone conversations, I was so turned off, that it''ll be a long time before I do so again.
14.gif
I can''t take all that crap.

Thanks everyone for helping with my question. Makes it easy now that everyone has agreed that the photos are a good idea
1.gif

I think it''s better to express that that is what you WANT done with them, but I don''t think inheritances should have strings attached. I would like to think my daughter isn''t planning on selling my jewels for cash when I''m dead and gone, but the fact it I''d be dead and gone.. KWIM? I recently purchased some estate peices off ebay and I always wonder what kind of financial position the family was in to sell something like that. I think this might lead to a spin off thread.. Has anyone ever sold a family heirloom?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:10:38 PM
Author: Sizzle

I think it''s better to express that that is what you WANT done with them, but I don''t think inheritances should have strings attached. I would like to think my daughter isn''t planning on selling my jewels for cash when I''m dead and gone, but the fact it I''d be dead and gone.. KWIM? I recently purchased some estate peices off ebay and I always wonder what kind of financial position the family was in to sell something like that. I think this might lead to a spin off thread.. Has anyone ever sold a family heirloom?
eh, the strings attached part. Didn''t think about that. This truely is going to be difficult. I plan to be cremeted. . .being buried with my jewelry may make things easier though!
3.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
This is such an interesting and timely thread for me (not because I''m about to die, but because I''m grappling with just this issue for a law school assignment).

It''s harder than you''d imagine to word this just right so that your wishes are correctly interpreted and carried out. In Scots law, anyway. I''m on the third draft of this miserable paper and I''m pretty sure I still don''t have it right.

Tell me what your lawyer tells you!
9.gif

Jen

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
I'm with Sizzle, 'things & money changes family' once you're gone
38.gif

I was honored to have MIL's stone in my e-ring but her sister didn't appreciate that and decided not to attend our wedding
29.gif
LOL
W/o going into private matters, I would tag by number, weight, picture @ item and---- may I kindly suggest adding Everyone and leaving ONE dollar to those you don't like to avoid them in court
14.gif

I'd Make a living trust [last will incl for free] instead of a will just in case kids decide not to love each other or can't pay probate or simply to avoid unwanted public scrutiny. Good Luck
21.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a great idea to provide pictures and who they go to.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of pictures and think that it will really help to simplify things once you are gone (in the very distant future). This is a very interesting issue and one that I have started to think about as well. I''m 45 and don''t plan on going anywhere for a long time but lately, when I think about jewelry projects, I think about how things might be easily divided among my four children. How''s that for jewelry obsessed?!

As for the will, I think that you can create alot of goodwill by leaving a little something to everyone-even if it''s a piece of costume jewelry. It gives your family member an easy way to save face and say "Oh, I always remember her wearing that bubble gum ring and she left it to me".

I have three boys myself and I understand the concern about giving stuff away to a daughter-in-law. From my personal experience, however, inheriting jewelry from one''s mother-in-law can be a really meaningful thing. My dh''s mother died when he was a teen and his father held onto the jewelry. When we were engaged, FIL offered one of the rings to dh but he wanted to choose my e-ring out and buy it himself (go figure). 5 years later when I was pregnant with our first chid, my sweet husband gave me his grandmother''s OEC engagement ring (maternal side). It is one of my favorite pieces and I am touched by the history of it every time I wear it. I plan, of course, to pass it on to one of our children. I can imagine, however, the hurt feelings that might be caused by being excluded. Yes, our jewelry is sentimental and expensive but is it worth a lot of ill will?

My opinion, fwiw.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take a photo inventory, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results