shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Appraisals ....

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
So I am just curious ... What pieces of Jewelry do you have insured as well as have appraisals for besides engagement rings?
Plain bands? Branded jewelry items?

I recently purchased 2 celebration bands from Tiffany and also a tennis bracelet from IDJ that I purchased a couple years ago but never insured (oops). I do have 3 sets of studs that came with appraisals and those are all insured.

Thanks all!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have appraisals and insurance on a family ring I inherited, since the cost to replicate it would be more than I would like to contemplate using from my family budget. I'm the third woman in my family to wear the ring, so if it is damaged or lost, full replication would be my goal. Given the design and quality of diamonds, it would cost a pretty-penny to do that. In addition to an appraisal, I have a very detailed drawing and measurements by a bench-jeweler (this was from pre-CADD days) that would provide the information to replicate the ring.

I also have a set of earrings (1 ct. each diamonds) appraised and insured. Otherwise, not much else would kill my budget to repair or replace. I've been pretty good at controlling my inner magpie!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e-ring, tennis bracelet, studs (2.3ctw wear daily) love cuff.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
engagement ring, 5 stone wedding band and my 3 stone right hand ring..nothing else I have is worth much

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Besides my engagement ring and wedding band, I have also insured my 5 stone band, my diamond studs, a diamond band I wear daily, and my husband's wedding band (this was handy when it needed to be cut off and then repaired).

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

diamondseeker2006 (again lol) do you not have your dbty insured?

Also does anyone have branded pieces besides erings insured and if so do you get actual appraisals on them? (Tiffany, Cartier, VCA, etc)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my stuff is insured at cost so I do not have appraisals for them.
I may be out a few hundred dollars if I lose something but I can deal with that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewels2|1469104560|4057901 said:
Thanks everyone!

diamondseeker2006 (again lol) do you not have your dbty insured?

Also does anyone have branded pieces besides erings insured and if so do you get actual appraisals on them? (Tiffany, Cartier, VCA, etc)

I honestly just have my diamond ring and studs insured. I kind of self-insure for things worth under $10k. I insure using the exact price I paid using sales receipts. The exception would be for things bought at a steep discount (as in second hand), and in that case I would want a true market replacement value...say I bought a WF tennis bracelet second hand...I'd want the current cost of that item insured.

My insurance company does have something called blanket coverage that I am thinking of adding. You can choose an amount and then if you have a loss, it would cover up to that amount. It wouldn't help if someone stole everything unless you had coverage for that amount (and I don't want to pay premiums that high), but I am more concerned like a loss when traveling or just having something fall off without me knowing.

The main thing to avoid with appraisals are inflated values. That just makes insurance premiums higher than they should be. So know the value before going into the appraisal, tell the appraiser what you paid if it is a new item, and specify that you want to be covered for the actual value. Take sales receipts if necessary. But first ask your insurance company if they will insure with sales receipts if the items were recently purchased. That way you save the trouble and cost of some appraisals.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS...I have my ering insured on a stand alone policy and then a blanket for everything else. My thinking is that I'll never lose everything at once unless we are burglarized while I'm at home (scary thought).
Otherwise, I'll be wearing a majority of it and the other half will be at home so I'm thinking I might lose half at a time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1469108788|4057918 said:
DS...I have my ering insured on a stand alone policy and then a blanket for everything else. My thinking is that I'll never lose everything at once unless we are burglarized while I'm at home (scary thought).
Otherwise, I'll be wearing a majority of it and the other half will be at home so I'm thinking I might lose half at a time.

Awesome! That is pretty much what I was thinking. Glad to know someone else is doing that. I tried to get rates a year ago and the local agent just obviously was not familiar. So I called back this summer and got someone else, and they got me the quotes. Blanket makes a lot of sense because a partial loss is more likely, as you said. Thanks for telling me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results