shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry and Gem Stores in Taiwan?

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone! We are visiting Taiwan soon to see my husband’s family. Are their any good places to look for jewelry and gems in the Taipei area?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t have much money the last time I went, so I don’t know.

However, here are some tips:
-maybe ask your in-laws who they trust?
-bring an in-law along for translation and to make sure you don’t get ripped off
-prepare to haggle!

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I didn’t have much money the last time I went, so I don’t know.

However, here are some tips:
-maybe ask your in-laws who they trust?
-bring an in-law along
-prepare to haggle!

I’m so scared to ask my in laws! They would most likely think of jewelry as an unnecessary luxury. How I dare I spend all of their son’s hard earned money

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so scared to ask my in laws! They would most likely think of jewelry as an unnecessary luxury. How I dare I spend all of their son’s hard earned money

Haha... you will be fine. They’ll be madder if they thought you got ripped off. Taiwanese people enjoy finding good bargains. Besides, you can spend less than $200 per week in Taiwan, so you have plenty of left over money for jewelry. :twisted2:

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is a good point! They do like being asked for advice. And with the language barrier I might need them! And they definitely hate being ripped off. I just know they aren’t jewelry people.

Anything in particular I should look for that there that is better to buy there than in the states? Jade?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sure it’ll be a great bonding experience!

Jade and blue chalcedony are mined in Taiwan.

Also, if you have time and don’t mind the drive, you can see the Taroko Marble Gorge.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@sapphiremomma and @strawrose I love both of your avatars! Strawrose, can you please tell me what each loose gem featured in your avatar is? I would guess the big blue one is a topaz and the lower left corner one is a rubellite tourmaline, but I'd like to know more about the others. Are the red and blue ones actually spinels? :Up_to_something: And is that a scapiolite?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
@sapphiremomma and @strawrose I love both of your avatars! Strawrose, can you please tell me what each loose gem featured in your avatar is? I would guess the big blue one is a topaz and the lower left corner one is a rubellite tourmaline, but I'd like to know more about the others. Are the red and blue ones actually spinels? :Up_to_something: And is that a scapiolite?

Haha... all three greens are tourmalines (@Rare gem lover, @mastercutgems, and thebeardedgemcutter). You are correct about the topaz. The amethyst and the garnet are from Jeff Davies. You are also correct about the teeny spinels (@Desertrose). :lol-2: I just needed a reminder that I don’t need more gems!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would skip the jewelry shopping and go to the national museum to see the antiques (as chiang kai shek pillaged a lot of the treasures of china when he fled to taiwan. So that collection is unforgetable -- easily one of the most rivetting I have seen. I have no doubt this will be an unpopular sentiment in taiwan though, so err I wouldn't put it exactly that was to your in laws!), and maybe the opera.

But if I happened to be nearby I remember a taiwanese jeweler I used to like (this was pre-pricescope though, haha so I would suspect both they and I have changed since then.).

https://www.winnienet.com.tw

I own a small pair of earings from them. This post got me to dig them out and wear them today 20190410_131447.jpg .

Last edited:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From what I heard from friends and family, the jewelery in Taiwan is not cheap. My Taiwanese friend told me the jadeites are cheaper in Hong Kong jade market than in Taiwan. Taiwan used to be famous for coral. Lucoral 大東山 has a shop in New York. I was shocked by their price last time I went there.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Taipei 101 has many international designer brands like Cartier bulgari.

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
In Taipei itself? The weekend gem market has incredible jade in all possible colors (some if the best red jade I've ever seen), beautiful tourmaline (both faceted stones and beads), fantastic lapis and amethyst bargains and lots of other goodies. There's a few good shops on Liosfu/Roosevelt for pearls, if you like pearls.. One of those places, right near Taipower exit 4, does incredible CS pieces, including a phenomenal citron and emerald bracelet I have to physically restrain myself from buying every time it's In the window.

When are you coming? I live right near Shida, so if the timing works out I can maybe show you some places.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results