shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewellery Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any suggestions as to where I can find a nice one? I tried Bergdorf's, Saks and Tiffany, but had no luck. I love the Smythson ones, but they are so expensive. All my pieces, including my loose gems, are currently stuffed into my nightstand drawer!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a nice one at Costco.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
you are not looking for a box to put all your lovely pieces in are you?

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
What type do you like and just how much do you have to squeeze into it?
31.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Weird, but JC Penney. Biggest selection of boxes that I know of. It's certainly not upscale, but the construction is surprisingly good.

My other would be to search "Amish woodworking" and find a handmade wooden one by a craftsman...I lust over those.

But...Harriet, you're not in the UK are you? I can't remember..both are totally US options and international shipping would likely be a mess.

OH - Pottery Barn. Another surprising place - gorgeous leather ones.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelry Boxes 123 - they have TONS...they only ship in the US though, I think...yes, where are you located?

E B

Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I just checked out the Pottery Barn website and found a number I like.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 12:36:05 AM
Author: Harriet
Thanks! I just checked out the Pottery Barn website and found a number I like.
You're not going to share?
15.gif
Share, share, share!
41.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Harriet,
When you said that you kept your jewelry in your night stand drawer I thought about two things...
1-damage control and jewelry storage
2-security and theft.
I sure that most people here already know how to store their jewelry correctly so that each piece wont get damaged or damage each other...so heres a few reminders that I give employees and clients about security and their jewelry.

1-Never store your jewelry in the bathroom.Its one place that a thief looks first.A humid enviroment can damage some organic gems and costume jewelry.To many people use your bathroom...friends,party guests,and children can be temped to walk away with your jewelry...also young children have been known to flush jewelry down the toilet(really!)
2-Never put all of you valuable jewelry in a jewelry box on top of the dresser in the bed room...This is an easy invitation for a thief to pick up all your jewelry in its case and easily walk away...convinient!Insurance companies say this is the first place a thief looks before the bathroom(and in the toilet tank).Some Insurance companies wont cover a loss where the jewelry is left out in plain site like this.
3-dont hide your jewelry in the fridge, freezer, or toilet tank...extreme and long term cold(and hot)will damage jewelry and gems.
4-never let you gems/jewelry rub together.
5-Know your insurance recovery plan word for word.
6-dont store organic gems and watches more then six months at a time in a safty deposit box
7- store gold and silver seperately...the copper alloys will cause discoloration on high carat gold and coins.
8-dont leave jewelry out in plain sight when on vacation.Exept for a few costume pieces to satisfiy a thief.
9-dont use cheap cotton lined/ card board storage boxes for silver... the chemicals and glues will turn silver dark(tarnish)
10-dont put all your jewelry in your purse.
12-seperate your jewelry in a few seperate places...i have some in the bank,some in a few hidden places, and some in a lined jewel box.
13- store earrings so they dont hit each other
14-have appraisals,pictures and a written inventory of your jewelry

I hope these points are helpful...most of them are actual points from insurance companies and jewelry trade security companies.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - I sure learned a lot! Thanks!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
great tips. I am too paranoid to use a jewlery box. I actually have a really high quality cz ring almost identical to my engagment ring, as well as a pair of high quality cz earrings that I keep stored in my underware drawer. I read that this throws off theifs because the think they found something valuable so they are more likely to stop looking.

Regarding the safe deposit box, why would it damage watches or gems? I have a large sapphire/diamond/platinum ring and a ruby/diamond/platinum ring, as well as an emerald ring in the safe box. I also have my husband''s gold watch in the safe. Can you explain what gems would be hurt and why in the safe box?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Banks dont heat the areas with boxes and they are shut air tight...so organic gems(pearls,coral,amber, ivory ect and soft gems like turquiose,opal ect can be dried out and damaged...diamonds,sapphire and ruby are fine because of their hardness...watches have oils and lubricants that the cold drys out over time...hope this helps.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 1:35:19 AM
Author: asscherisme
great tips. I am too paranoid to use a jewlery box. I actually have a really high quality cz ring almost identical to my engagment ring, as well as a pair of high quality cz earrings that I keep stored in my underware drawer. I read that this throws off theifs because the think they found something valuable so they are more likely to stop looking.

Regarding the safe deposit box, why would it damage watches or gems? I have a large sapphire/diamond/platinum ring and a ruby/diamond/platinum ring, as well as an emerald ring in the safe box. I also have my husband''s gold watch in the safe. Can you explain what gems would be hurt and why in the safe box?
I keep a black leather jewel box on the top of the dresser with pieces of gold plate, inexpensive sterling and a few old watches to throw off would be thiefs when im on vacation or away for a few days...the good stuff goes in the bank when i travel....this may seem extreme to some people,but it saved alot of my collection from theft in the 1980s when a baby sitters boy friend stole several gold filled chains thinking they were real and that he got the best stuff in the house.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
oh no no no...

you can''t put all your lovelies in one place.

all could be gone at one time.

never, never do that!!!

jewelerman gave great points.

safe time girlfriend. the box is only for the pieces that would satisfy a thief and you could live without and of course to decorate the dresser!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad made me a beautiful wooden jewelry box for my birthday a while back, so I''m partial to wooden jewelry boxes. But I do like the Pottery Barn jewelry box you linked to.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lovely one that I treated myself to a few years ago from T.Anthony (leather goods) not sure how to link but I will try . . .

http://www.tanthony.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?list,31

(I have the one with the drawers)
1.gif
http://http://www.tanthony.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?list,31

ETA: maybe that linked it? I'm hopeless.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Our house was broken in to in 2000. My hand made cherry jewelry box was on my dresser, with everything inside except my ER and RH ring...which were luckily, on my fingers. (of course, I lost those later but that's another story).

The thieves simply grabbed the whole box. Every piece of jewellry (even the cheapie stuff I got as Confirmation gifts and graduation gifts, heirloom pieces from my grandmothers) was gone. There is no way to replace those kinds of things, even with Insurance....

Now, I have a safe in the house. The good stuff is in there, or, on my hands.

As much as I love the look of a beautiful jewelry box/drawer, I would never use one again. Lesson learned. The Hard Way.

LS

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You must not ever have your stuff out in a box or unsecured. We have had breakins in the Main Line this summer and in minutes people are losing everything. You MUST get a safe, as even with insurance some things are tougher to replace. If you have anyone in your home besides the two of you, you must do this, the economy is getting so bad people are stealing anything. One of our homes in the mountains, a rental, has copper pipes and someone broke into and stole them as metals are worth a fortune. Of course we are insured but what a PITA. I have many people in my home regularly, and I have two safes. And frankly I took ALL of my stuff to our safety deposit box as I am gone for a month, and my nanny is with me and so is my dog, though my dog is sweet she is big and has a huge bark, I seriously think when they are home it is more of a deterrent, but at this point I still am concerned as three people I know were burglarized and one of my friends saw someone casing her street. My assistant is still in Philly and has access to my home and is working on some things for me while we are away, she will be in and out of the house during the day as she is not coming down til the midpoint in the month. If she forgot to put the alarm on etc...I just did not want to take a chance. Luckily the day we were leaving it occurred to me to go to the box...and I filled it up.

They are even stealing costume pieces, and I have some very lovely and not inexpensive costume stuff, but that I just left. I think the boxes look great but it makes it one stop shopping and quick at that for anyone to get into your home and make off with your things. Please install a safe, a fireproof one, and put all of your irreplaceable papers in there too.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh-oh! I have one of those ginormous jewelry boxes that stands on the floor. It's about waist-high, and probably screams "Hey, thief! Look here first! I'm a ginormous jewelry box!"
emembarrassed.gif

But, I love it, and I just don't think I can part with it. It is completely FULL, so storing my stuff in a smaller area isn't really a possibility. Also, it was given to me by my Mom and Stepdad, so it has sentimental meaning too.

ETA: Oh, yeah! It's a "jewelry armoire" . . . THAT'S the word I was looking for. Thanks, SimplySplendid!
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a gorgeous jewelry chest from Bombay Company, they carry a huge line of boxes, chests, and armoires.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 10:56:40 PM
Author:Harriet
Any suggestions as to where I can find a nice one? I tried Bergdorf''s, Saks and Tiffany, but had no luck. I love the Smythson ones, but they are so expensive. All my pieces, including my loose gems, are currently stuffed into my nightstand drawer!
Since Leon can''t spare you any boxes, maybe he can supply you with some vault space :)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You need a safe!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a wooden one at Red Envelope a few years back. A leather one on RE

One day I'd love to have the money to get a perfect jewellery box custom made. I have earrings and rings, but hardly any bracelets or necklaces. My earrings just end up in a pile and there are never enough of the things that hold the rings.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with the suggestion to get a safe. I too have been really wanting a big beautiful Jewelry box, but it isn''t worth it to me now that I have thought about it.
My Mothers house has been robbed twice (actually 2 different houses in different locations, both very nice neighborhoods at that) each time we lost pieces that were not replacable. Family heirlooms, etc... I don''t have much left bc of that, but what I do have means a ton to me. It''s hard to describe how it feels to be robbed of these things. Let''s just say it isn''t good, and I wish it upon no one.
Harriet, you have too many beautiful pieces to take a chance. What I may do and you might want to consider is getting a nice jewelry box, like the PB one you posted (which I really like) and put your costume pieces in there. No gems or diamonds. Put those in a safe hidden in a closet somewhere.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, especially Jewelerman. The safe it is then!
My sympathies to those of you who''ve lost heirlooms.

Thing2of2,
What a thoughtful gift from your dad!

Bizoumom,
Haha.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
that is a lot for a jewelry box. i have a black leather one that has tons of compartments and a travel case and it only cost me about $50

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results