shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Markup on Half-Moon Diamonds

Elizabeth Rose

Rough_Rock
I'm about to order a 3 stone ring from Steven Kirsch with very few changes from the piece in his gallery (I've sent in the inquiry but not heard back). I already have the center stone (a beautiful 5.4 carat orange sapphire acquired with the aid of the PriceScope community). I want crescent cut or half-moon diamonds as the side stones. I'm looking for them to be pretty large. I've been told that I'm better off letting the jeweler source the side stones (I guess because it makes him responsible for the aesthetic match to the center stone).

My question is, how much more am I likely to be charged compared to the price I see for similar diamond pairs online (africagems has a .80 carat half moon pair for $5700, for example).

thanks!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goldsmith had access to a greater variety of side stones than I could hope to find on my own & the prices he quoted me for a couple different combinations was little more than what I guesstimated his wholesale cost was.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had DK make a a three stone with tapered step cut trapezoids, he contacted a couple diamond dealers and gave me a variety of options at fantastic pricing. I do think you should let him source for you and show you options to pick from. As long as you are patient I’m sure he can find what you are looking for. It took about a month to find a pair I was happy with but in the end he got exactly what I envisioned

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would think anything they source for you would cost less than Africagems. They are pretty pricey imo.

When I got my quote from him for my 3 stone, I thought it was very reasonable. It only started getting expensive when we were talking about custom cutting the sides stones.

Plus SK has an amazing eye for proportions- he will source you some wonderful options!

Elizabeth Rose

Rough_Rock
Thanks y'all. I was planning to have him obtain the side stones. I asked the question because I wanted to know if I had to increase my budget from what I communicated.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you tell him your budget and the sizes you want I am sure he will either find them or get close to what you want. But I would be honest with him and let him know if you are willing to increase the budget (if needed) to get exactly the size you want. My traps are .62 carats cast in platinum and gold, the ring is $3150 (my budget was 4k) and there is also some small melee on the basket so that increases the price a little.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue but I CAN say it's going to be over the moon literally I can't wait to see your ring if you would so kindly post a pix or 2 or 32!

I'm about to order a 3 stone ring from Steven Kirsch with very few changes from the piece in his gallery (I've sent in the inquiry but not heard back). I already have the center stone (a beautiful 5.4 carat orange sapphire acquired with the aid of the PriceScope community). I want crescent cut or half-moon diamonds as the side stones. I'm looking for them to be pretty large. I've been told that I'm better off letting the jeweler source the side stones (I guess because it makes him responsible for the aesthetic match to the center stone).

My question is, how much more am I likely to be charged compared to the price I see for similar diamond pairs online (africagems has a .80 carat half moon pair for $5700, for example).

thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results