shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Damaged WhiteFlash Bezel Ring -- What to do?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
I have some questions. First, here is my story.

My fiancé and I chose WhiteFlash's Danielle Jazz Bezel ring to be my wedding band. When we received it in April, it was stunning. The 1 pointers really sparkled. It was put back in the box and kept safe by my fiancé. As our wedding is about 3 weeks away (August 5), I tried it on to see if it still fit. I had lost about 15 pounds and limited my sodium intake since April, and of course, the ring then felt a little big.

I took it to a local jeweler to be sized down by a half size. I had thought about sending it to WhiteFlash and decided that it might not back it back for the wedding. I chose a local jeweler because I've had many rings resized over the past decade -- sometimes at the mall or a Walmart kiosk -- and never had a problem.

The jeweler took out the ring, inspected it, and said how pretty it was. She said she would have it ready by morning.

When I picked up my ring, I noticed a dead diamond. It looked frosted and lifeless. There was no sparkle, no light. Hoping it was just dirt or oil, I wiped the stone with my finger. It still was dead. I looked at it closely. I saw a line. I ran my finger over it and felt a ridge. I looked at it under a 10x loupe and saw the crack. I hope you can see it in the pictures that I attached.

A different jeweler was working that day. I brought it to his attention. He said I brought it in that way and that I should send it back to the manufacturer. He said that there is no way a diamond could be scratched during resizing. He commented that the ring was inferior in design and was "too thin" (2.1 mm) and would break anyway. He said there was no possible way my melee was Hearts and Arrows.

He didn't even ask to look at it.

Tears were starting to form in my eyes and my hands were shaking. My wedding was in 3 weeks. I left the store without my ring.

I called my fiancé, who is an attorney, for advice. He said to pay for the resize, get my ring, and send it to be fixed. We would deal with the jeweler after our wedding and honeymoon. The important thing was to get the ring back and get it fixed. So I went back in, payed $60, and got my ring.

When I finally calmed down from the shock of a scratched diamond, I looked at the workmanship of the resize. My ring is supposed to be a perfect circle. As you can see from the picture, it is not. It is also lumpy and there is a scuff.

My fiancé, who can't tell a diamond from a piece of plastic, noticed the scratch.

I called WhiteFlash and told them the situation. I sent it to them today. They are going to see what they can do. My warranty is void. I knowingly voided it by taking it to another jeweler, ironically to save time. I will have to pay for repairs and shipping. If they can fix and get it to me before August 5, excellent. If not, I will use my engagement ring for the ceremony.

Funny, just as the jeweler suggested, I am sending it back to the manufacturer.

In the end, I am going to be out of a couple hundred dollars from this ordeal. Out of principle, I want that money back. After the honeymoon, I want to take action. This means I will write no reviews on Yelp, speak poorly of their service, or have any contact with them until September. My attorney fiancé advised to keep quiet for now and enjoy this exciting time in our lives.

He said that small claims court is a crap shoot. It comes down to the jeweler's word against my mine. The judge decides who is more believable.

I hope you can answer some of my questions:

1. How is a ring damaged during a resize?
2. How are diamonds not indestructible?
3. What level of skill is required to size a ring down half a size?
4. Is damage by local jewelers a common problem?
5. Would you offer a possible explanation why the resize itself was so poor?
6. How do I find a good local jeweler?

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome. I want to understand what went wrong. Thanks for your help.

_201.jpg

_202.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled_2.jpg

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
More photos.

untitled_3.jpg

untitled_4.jpg

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's crappy. I'm sorry you have this extra stress right now! I'm sure some others will have more exact advice, but I am wondering if that's even the right diamond. I don't know much about rb/aca stones, but the table on the dead stone looks a lot bigger than the others I can see in your photos. Either way, I'd have WF check all the stones while they have it. Please keep us updated, when you can.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry this happened so close to your wedding. I so wish you had just put in sizing beads temporarily but hindsight is 20/20. I am always afraid of having diamond bands sized because I also had my original wedding band messed up when resizing. I think the value of the experience for me was learning a lesson. Not everyone can size a ring, not every ring should be resized, and when the ring only needs a half size down, I would almost always choose sizing beads in case I ever needed the ring larger again, the beads would just be removed. In the case of a valuable or sentimental piece, I would only let the original maker/jeweler try to size it, especially when there is a warranty involved. I would not buy second hand rings that aren't my size or within a half size.

Really, I understand why you are mad, but I honestly would let it go and chalk it up to experience. You really can't prove that the stone wasn't like that when you took it in, so I am not sure you'd get anywhere in small claims court. It's almost not worth the mental energy to deal with it when you have much better things to concentrate on! Hopefully WF can fix it and make it like new again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are not. They can crack or chip when they are whacked just right. That is why an insurance is essential on diamond jewelry of a value that you'd want insurance to replace if it was damaged. We have seen this here many times. I don't insure items like a wedding band, but I insure larger diamonds not only for loss or theft, but also for the possibility of damage.

How your diamond was damaged, I have no idea, though. Many people with cracked stones come here having no idea when it happened.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry this happened to you, I would have cried too.

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
Oh I am so sorry that happened to you! It is still a beautiful ring! And stands for a beautiful union! :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I'm sorry this happened to you. I definitely understand your frustration.

After my husband proposed (with a ring that he purchased in a different state), I kept knocking it on things because the head was too high. So I had a local jeweler change the head and it looked terrible, they put a shorter but flimsier head on and it was set crooked. They acted like I was crazy and that they had set it perfectly. I paid ANOTHER local jeweler $100 to try and fix it. It looked better but was still not right. After a few months we ended up visiting the city where DH bought the ring and I spent another $130 for them just to replace the head with the original one and they did a perfect job. The height of it does still bug me but I wouldn't dare to have another local jeweler touch my ring. So I just wanted to share that some of us have also been there and in the end it will work out!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl|1342151221|3233124 said:
I hope you can answer some of my questions:

1. How is a ring damaged during a resize?
3. What level of skill is required to size a ring down half a size?
4. Is damage by local jewelers a common problem?
5. Would you offer a possible explanation why the resize itself was so poor?
6. How do I find a good local jeweler?

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome. I want to understand what went wrong. Thanks for your help.

I feel for you, and I have the same band (see avatar <---)! When I got mine, it was in absolutely pristine and perfect condition. And I can see the tiny arrows in all the stones, so the guy who said the melee can't be H&A is just uninformed. I agree that the chipped stone does have a larger table than the others in your images, so it actually looks like a replacement stone to me. Perhaps a stone fell out and they tried to cover it up? I think WF will be able to fix it for you, or make a replacement, in time for your wedding.

1. I think it's fairly easy to mess up a resize, unfortunately. You are taking a tiny chunk of metal out of the ring and then trying to make it look smooth again.

2. They definitely are NOT indestructible, not sure where you got that idea. They are hardest on the Mohs scale, but they also have perfect octahedral cleavage, meaning it can be split along a plane. Cutters and setters need to know what they are doing.

3. Not sure how to answer this, but I sent my e-ring back to Whiteflash to have it resized 1/4 of a size, from 5.5 to 5.25, and it came back absolutely perfect (plus they moved the W logo from the bottom inside of the shank to the top nearer to the diamond!).

4. I don't know how common it is, but I am very careful about who I take my jewelry to.

5. Unskilled bench? Unfamiliarity with bezel settings? Not used to working on such fine detail?

6. Don't worry about finding a good local jeweler for now, just focus on getting your ring fixed by WF and then you can ask for good local recommendations after you are a happily married lady. :bigsmile:

Edited to add: also, the jeweler saying that the ring is 'too thin' and would 'break anyway' clearly hasn't seen the abuse I've put mine through in the last year or so since I've had it. I wear it nearly constantly, cleaning, lifting weights, etc., and it's perfectly round and the bottom portion without diamonds is still as smooth as the day I got it. A simple bath in the ultrasonic and a polish with a soft cloth and it looks brand new!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're fiance is very wise. Just get the ring fixed and don't beat yourself up about it before the wedding. We ALL make mistakes. I feel confident WF can fix it. YOu can deal with the claims court when you get back. Are there beauty shots from WF? YOu weren't married and had clearly never worn the ring,so I would think you have a strong case. But, IF it doesn't get resolved, try to put it behind you. In the sceme of a wedding/honeymoon there are unexpected expenses and I'd just characterize it as this and call it a day.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I'm sooo sorry. :(

It seems like unfortunately we've all had bad experiences with local jewelry stores. They just don't seem to be as skilled as the PS vendors. I probably would not have paid the $60 though, but that's 20/20 hindsight. Just try not to let it bother you anymore and enjoy this exciting time in your life!! :) Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with your fiance that small claims court is a crap shoot, especially without any proof of the condition of the ring when it was dropped off. You may be better off just cutting your losses, and putting this behind you so you can relish in your upcoming wedding and beyond. In the end, I don't think it will be worth your time, energy, and frustration to bring a cause of action against the jeweler. On the bright side, I'm sure the fine people at WF will do everything they can to get your ring back into tip-top condition. Best of luck!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry this happened to you. I had a similar experience, except the jeweller completely ruined the bezel on my original e-ring beyond repair. Hopefully WF fixes it perfectly for you!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342153917|3233132 said:
I am so sorry this happened so close to your wedding. I so wish you had just put in sizing beads temporarily but hindsight is 20/20. I am always afraid of having diamond bands sized because I also had my original wedding band messed up when resizing. I think the value of the experience for me was learning a lesson. Not everyone can size a ring, not every ring should be resized, and when the ring only needs a half size down, I would almost always choose sizing beads in case I ever needed the ring larger again, the beads would just be removed. In the case of a valuable or sentimental piece, I would only let the original maker/jeweler try to size it, especially when there is a warranty involved. I would not buy second hand rings that aren't my size or within a half size.
Really, I understand why you are mad, but I honestly would let it go and chalk it up to experience. You really can't prove that the stone wasn't like that when you took it in, so I am not sure you'd get anywhere in small claims court. It's almost not worth the mental energy to deal with it when you have much better things to concentrate on! Hopefully WF can fix it and make it like new again.
DITTO to all really, but especially the bolded portions. It's a tough lesson to learn, especially on such a sentimental piece. You took a certain risk in leaving it w/a jeweler whose work you didn't know, voiding the warranty. Risks don't always turn out right. I do think they are lying & replaced that stone but you'll never be able to PROVE it in a court of law. Just never use them again and have future fixes done by the vendor you bought the ring from. Chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned (we all have them) & get busy enjoying your wedding!

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice and especially your stories. I don't feel so crazy or alone. I am sad to learn that innocent jewelry gets hurt.

I don't know whether or not I'll pursue this in small claims court. This store can not go around destroying people's jewelry with immunity. I won't do anything until after the honeymoon, not even a Yelp review. I will decide in September if it is worth the headache.

A huge part of me wants my fiancé to take them down. FIscally, it is not worth it. He would have to take an afternoon off to recoup at most $300 when his firm bills him out at $450/hour. It would cost his firm $2000 for him to pursue $300. However, I would love to see him defend his woman.

I am glad I learned my lesson on this piece. The sentimental pieces from loved ones who passed away could have been the victims. I almost let them "fix the prongs" on my engagement ring -- an August Vintage cushion set in a Vatche Caroline! I would lose it if anyone hurt that ring. I called Good Old Gold about the prongs and there is nothing wrong with them. I dodged a bullet. My fiancé loves that AVC too.

I am lucky to have WF around to repair what was damaged.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew! Thank goodness you didn't let them touch your Vatche Caroline!!!! That could have been a much worse disaster letting anyone touch prongs! We all learn these things the hard way...so don't feel too bad. Do let us know how the repair turns out, though!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl|1342200239|3233345 said:
A huge part of me wants my fiancé to take them down. FIscally, it is not worth it. He would have to take an afternoon off to recoup at most $300 when his firm bills him out at $450/hour. It would cost his firm $2000 for him to pursue $300.
Look at it this way ... I don't think they're making huge buckos by charging $60 to badly fix a ring when they ended up having to replace a diamond at their own cost! They're just BAD at fixes! (And, possibly, liars.) I bet fixing things is almost just a courtesy they do to keep customers coming in to buy larger ticket items. A bad review from you is all you really owe to the world in terms of keeping their paws off of other peoples valuables. I doubt they were TRYING to ruin your ring or force you to seek pricey fixes elsewhere. You know?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
decodelighted|1342202325|3233366 said:
Look at it this way ... I don't think they're making huge buckos by charging $60 to badly fix a ring when they ended up having to replace a diamond at their own cost! They're just BAD at fixes! (And, possibly, liars.) I bet fixing things is almost just a courtesy they do to keep customers coming in to buy larger ticket items. A bad review from you is all you really owe to the world in terms of keeping their paws off of other peoples valuables. I doubt they were TRYING to ruin your ring or force you to seek pricey fixes elsewhere. You know?

True.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree, with Deco and DS. Pursuing this in small claims court would only be for you to validation that they did a horrible job fixing your ring. They know that they did a horrible job fixing your ring, we know it, and if you leave a horrible review on Yelp, then everyone else will know it too. I'm super bummed that this happened to you, I would be crushed too. I know that WF will do a great job repairing it and you will be able to enjoy it for many many years to come. I guess it's better that you realized how incompetent their bench is now, instead of having a successful sizing job and then returning later to have them repair the prongs of your caroline only to have them botch that. THAT would be terrible! :nono: I'm sure that WF will do everything in their power to return your beautiful Jazz band to you in time for your wedding. Maybe then you will feel better about the whole situation. However, if WF says that it can't be restored to it's former perfection.....then I may want to do more than just leave a nasty yelp review! I don't think that will be the case though. Congrat on your upcoming wedding! =)

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice and especially your stories. I don't feel so crazy or alone. I am sad to learn that innocent jewelry gets hurt.

I don't know whether or not I'll pursue this in small claims court. This store can not go around destroying people's jewelry with immunity. I won't do anything until after the honeymoon, not even a Yelp review. I will decide in September if it is worth the headache.

A huge part of me wants my fiancé to take them down. FIscally, it is not worth it. He would have to take an afternoon off to recoup at most $300 when his firm bills him out at $450/hour. It would cost his firm $2000 for him to pursue $300. However, I would love to see him defend his woman.

I am glad I learned my lesson on this piece. The sentimental pieces from loved ones who passed away could have been the victims. I almost let them "fix the prongs" on my engagement ring -- an August Vintage cushion set in a Vatche Caroline! I would lose it if anyone hurt that ring. I called Good Old Gold about the prongs and there is nothing wrong with them. I dodged a bullet. My fiancé loves that AVC too.

I am lucky to have WF around to repair what was damaged.

If WF is able to confirm that the stone was in fact replaced by the jeweler, you may have valid claims for misrepresentation, negligence, conversion, embezzlement, etc. In Florida that would entitle you to treble damages and a good chance of punitive damages if the trier of fact finds, by clear and convincing evidence, intentional misconduct or gross negligence...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes!!! Bottom line is it is fixed and you can get married knowing it will 'work'.. and that WF can look at it after the wedding. But I do think, in these circumstances, they may be able to put a rush on this and replace the diamond and smooth out the sizing bar at the bottom, all under your wedding deadline. Have you called the rep you dealt with? It MAY be do-able....???

Kind of torn as to what I would do in this situation. I hear you with the concept of "Punish the B&M for their error" vs. "we won't win, why bother, more trouble than it's worth", lines of thinking. Hard to know. If WF can fix it, that's really all that counts. I'd maybe write a review on the B&M somewhere and just let that do the talking.

Good luck with whatever transpires from here on in, but I hope you can find out from WF if they can get it sorted out for you ASAP.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
WhiteFlash received the ring and sent an email saying that they'd fix it for free and cover the shipping charges! I am floored. This is so nice of them. It really takes a load off my shoulders. I am very, very grateful. I'll update with pictures of my wedding set when I get the ring back. :appl:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! That is so awesome!!! And definitely validates why the preferred PS vendors ARE preferred by us! :)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl|1342554334|3235644 said:
WhiteFlash received the ring and sent an email saying that they'd fix it for free and cover the shipping charges! I am floored. This is so nice of them. It really takes a load off my shoulders. I am very, very grateful. I'll update with pictures of my wedding set when I get the ring back. :appl:

Oh, that's so nice! Glad it's going to work out! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GirlyGirl|1342554334|3235644 said:

Wow, that's awesome of them! And you can rest easy knowing it'll be done as well as it can possibly be done :appl:

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! WF is AMAZING!! This just makes me want to buy something from them...not so they have to fix it for free, but just because. :bigsmile:

I'm so glad that this is one less thing you need to stress about before your wedding! I cringed as I was reading your story when I found out where you took your ring. You've received good advice and feedback so trust that you won't make that mistake ever again.

Congratulations!! Wheeeeee, you're getting married! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's FANTASTIC news, Girlygirl!!! Big high 5 for WF!!! Kudo's to the gang there for being able to meet your wedding deadline AND fix it for free!!! AWESOME customer service!

miraclesrule said:
Wow!! WF is AMAZING!! This just makes me want to buy something from them...not so they have to fix it for free, but just because.
Totally!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
miraclesrule|1342567478|3235732 said:
Wow!! WF is AMAZING!! This just makes me want to buy something from them...not so they have to fix it for free, but just because. :bigsmile:

I feel the same way! Hats off to WF, I am very impressed by their customer service, very awesome! So glad things worked out for you! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1342572118|3235790 said:
miraclesrule|1342567478|3235732 said:

I feel the same way! Hats off to WF, I am very impressed by their customer service, very awesome! So glad things worked out for you! :appl:

Yes, very awesome of WhiteFlash! :appl: :appl: :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl said:

Woohooooooo!!!! That is so awesome! Now you can focus on your wedding and not have those bad feelings weighing over you :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results