shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler created this setting for my diamond, Yes, or NO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I had a jeweler create this 6 prong setting for my 1.76 carat diamond. I like the head, and the shank measures 3.2mm in width.(Mine right now is about 4.6 mm in width) It''s 14k white gold, and going for $225! Do you think my diamond will look better in this setting than the 4 rpong cathedral I have now? Do you think the head looks too bulky? I think I really like the ring, just want some feedback...thanks!

six prong.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
One more pic

six prong solstice style.jpg

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
beau13, I think it''s a lovely setting and it sure sounds like a great price, too! I think your current ring is gorgeous, but I think the stone would look beautiful in this new setting also. It''s just all a matter of personal taste. I prefer the look of the new setting personally (........hmmmmm, could that have anything to do with owning a WF classic tiffany knife edge myself?
2.gif
).

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi beau,

I think your stone would look gorgeous in that new setting!

Personally, I always like thinner bands - I wish mine were 2 mm instead of 3 mm!

But really, I think that new setting is gorgeous, and would really compliment your stone. I''m too undecided to do anything myself at this point, but I''ve REALLY been thinking about putting my stone in a 6 prong Tiffany repro after seeing all the beautiful ones on here. I just promised my husband that I''d wait a year for any more changes, so I am not allowed to do anything else with my ring right now
emsmilep.gif

If I were you I would go for the new setting! The one you have now is also beautiful, but I think the 6-prong will really make your stone pop!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
First of all, the price you''re getting is awesome! If you''re considering reasons not to purchase the new setting, I wouldn''t let the price tag be a factor, because honestly, you''d be hard pressed to find another setting just like that one for such a great value. Just for reference sake...I am having my diamond prongs redone, and it''s 215.00 just for WG prongs....and 550.00 for plat prongs....
28.gif

I really do like the cathedral setting. I think it looks beautiful with you band. But, you can''t go wrong with a classic 6 prong tiffany setting... It''s totally personal taste. I think, however, if your jeweler did custom make you a setting, somewhere along the way you mentioned wanting a new one or actually commissioned the setting, and that is a strong indicator that you do want a new setting.

I would suggest, at bare minimum, purchase the empty setting--you''ll always have the option to change later if you cant make up your mind right now...and it really is a fantastic price--consider the influx of gold....

Can''t wait to see what you decide!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Beau,
I love your current ring, but I do really love that 6 prong. (I'm biased too, because it looks like my new ring
1.gif

I also like that it's 3.2mm. I like bands that fall somewhere between 2.5-3.5mm.

New one gets my vote! A classic!
1.gif

ETA: When I saw my setting empty, I thought the head looked bulky too, but after they shaped the prongs and set the stone, it was perfect!

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
New one gets my vote. I like how this ring will not stick-up as high due to the low set of the prongs. The 6 prong style is VERY elegant.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly have no opinion about how I think this new one will look. If I were able to know such things, it wouldn''t be so hard for ME to pick a setting for myself! You might as well go for it. That''s the only way you''ll know for sure if you like it yourself. It looks like the stone will sit lower. I have no idea how the prongs will look when set. See, i''m useless!
41.gif
Come on, do it and post the pics and then we''ll all know and learn something.
31.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I like the new setting better, but they both are nice....

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
i like the original setting, but the new one is classic and beautiful. i can''t wait to see pics once it''s set...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the new setting better.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, I haven''t committed to buying it yet. I am wondering if it looks like a shopping channel piece?
33.gif
I wonder if I can get that head, and put it into my cathedral setting. I am "iffy" about the narrower shank. I like big, bold gold, it just looks richer to me! I don''t like thin, narrow shanks, that look too delicate on my finger. Hmm..I guess I will ponder it for a few days. Thanks for everyone''s opinions!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks elegant and classy.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Beauzer - I LOVE that new setting...oh Em Gee!!!

Lady...for that money, I''d do it and if you really HATE it, then you could always put a coloured stone in those beautiful 6 prongs.

I''m going to go stew in a bit of jelousy now...I LOVE that new head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emsmilep.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 12:34:35 PM
Author: coatimundi
Hi Beau,
I love your current ring, but I do really love that 6 prong. (I''m biased too, because it looks like my new ring
1.gif

I also like that it''s 3.2mm. I like bands that fall somewhere between 2.5-3.5mm.

New one gets my vote! A classic!
1.gif

ETA: When I saw my setting empty, I thought the head looked bulky too, but after they shaped the prongs and set the stone, it was perfect!
Thanks Coatimundi, but I KNOW the diamond setter won''t be shaping any prongs. If I get a setter to agree to set the diamond, I know all he will do is notch prongs, insert diamond, and I guess I have to hope for the best!(I guess you never read my older posts, and the nightmare I had with the double prongs being sculpted too thin, or claw-like which resulted in a broken prong 2 days after receiving the ring! It''s a shame my ring doesn''t look anything like it did the first time it arrived in the pretty little box! LOL (ancient history I suppose)

JandJ

Rough_Rock
...can i just say that i LOVE the new setting!!?!

gotta be honest and tell you that my personal preference veers towards thin bands... but it doesnt take away from what i love about the setting you''ve chosen.... so simple, elegant and beautiful!

17.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, I love the new setting! It is a very good Tiffany repro except that it has a rounded shank. I think a lot of us would have liked one of these at least as a temporary setting while searching for the "dream ring"! And 3mm by PS standards is not thin. I think it would look better with your diamond band. The price is outstanding, too!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 4:51:37 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
First of all, I love the new setting! It is a very good Tiffany repro except that it has a rounded shank. I think a lot of us would have liked one of these at least as a temporary setting while searching for the ''dream ring''! And 3mm by PS standards is not thin. I think it would look better with your diamond band. The price is outstanding, too!
It looks as though there will be a gap between the setting and a band. I think my diamond band is PERFECT with the cathedral setting I have now...it has a high profile, and sits perfectly flush with the solitaire. I don''t think the diamond band will look that great, definitely NOT better than it looks with my current solitaire setting. I don''t know... the more and more I look at it, the less I like it
40.gif
I think I like the head, and the price, but not crazy about the rounded, thin shank. Maybe I will stick with the halo I had in mind, which is much more $$, but I think I will love it more!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there''s definitely no point in getting it if YOU don''t love it! So wait until you find what you really love since you already have a nice setting that you like!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results