shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White yellow sapphire 3 stone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing roughly 6 projects this year and they're all in various stages of production. This is the second one.

Sapphire is my husband's birthstone and yellow is his favorite color, and this is his gift to me for my birthday this year. It's not for a couple of months yet, but we wanted to make Absolutely. Positive. we had it in time, so we had it done early.

The sapphire is a beauty, cut by Jeff White and set in 24kt yellow gold. The diamonds are 5 x 5mm each (1.23 ctw) and E colored. The ring is platinum and a size 7 and the holly is because...well...just because. :))

The outer prongs are going to be thinned a trifle. Even tho they are currently equal, I've learnt that in a three stone, due to the tilt and the placement of the center stone, the inner prongs of the side stones almost always look smaller and closer together than the outer prongs. Consequently, I have the outer prongs slimmed a trifle as it gives a visual balance, even tho it makes them technically uneven. You can see the effect here before they've been slimmed and I'll post more photos when they've been adjusted.

This is my Daffodilly!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love:
:lickout:

When will you have it??

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lovely sentiment behind the ring. Happy early birthday to you!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your Daffodilly is beautiful! Looking forward to many more pics! 24kt.... so nice! :kiss2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I love a classic three stone for a colored stone! Sapphires are my favorite colored gems and my birthstone, too! I really love your adding your holly signature. I wish I had thought of such a nice idea!:appl:

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Daffodillly is scrumptious! So many pretty flowers, so many pretty gems...
Amazing, as usual, mrs-b. I’ve learned a lot and get a lot of enjoyment from your posts. Thank you! =)2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the perfect daffodil! Very pretty!

Q

Queenie60

Very pretty!

Winterinaustralia

Rough_Rock
Such wonderful proportions, and what a great tip about the prongs- I will have to keep that in mind when I get around to a new ring (one day!)
And I love :love: your holly motif, Christmas is my favourite time of year:appl:beyond cool!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Alex T :wavey: I think by the end of next week? This will be a very sentimental piece for me. I've wanted something bright yellow for years. I think people may have developed an impression that I do lots and lots of projects all the time. But the truth is, I saved and saved and bought gems slowly, upgraded, jockeyed around, for a decade before I started setting things in a rush this time last year. After I finish this year's projects, I have a projects for my 60th birthday next year, then one more upgrade on my large diamond before I move back home to Australia in 3 years.

When we left Australia, we told people we'd be gone for a minimum of 2 years - maximum 5. It's been almost 19. I've told MHWIA (my husband who I adore) that I'll do 3 more years, but that I HAVE to be home for Christmas 2021. I'll be finishing all my jewelry projects before I go home, because I just won't have the same access to good jewelers or diamonds that I do here, and things at home are WAY more expensive. So this is me, powering through everything to get it all done before we leave. Six projects this year, 2 next year, one in 2021. Awesome sauce!

This beautiful 3 stone will be a very welcome addition. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @JPie! We're a couple of months ahead of the game here, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be requested to put this ring into my husband's safe keeping till the date arrives! Pretty sure I'll be able to wangle some hand shots though when it gets here! :))

Hi @LittleRed - this is my only piece with 24kt in it, so it's special! I wanted it to blend as seamlessly as possible with the gorgeous sapphire, and it seemed like a fun thing to do, too. Probably the only 24kt gold I'll ever own.

I love sapphires, too, @diamondseeker2006! Aren't they a glorious gem? Sometimes I wonder why we all obsess so much over diamonds when I see the beautiful colors out there! I always wanted to set this stone in a 3 stone setting, but 3 stone rings aren't cheap (there's 1.23 ctw of E colored diamonds in this ring), so I tried to convince myself that a halo would suit me just fine. I'd just about talked myself into it, when I found myself sitting opposite a woman at the airport who had a blue sapphire and diamond 3 stone on her ring finger. I sat there staring at that thing for an hour! By the time we boarded the plane, I knew it would have to be a 3 stone setting for my sapphire. I'm glad I stuck to my original plan, as I think this one is very beautiful. I'm glad you like it. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AmethystHope - obviously, I love the daffodils in your avatar! They're such a perky, happy flower, don't you think? I'm glad you like Daffodilly, she is a such a joyful ring, and I'm sure she'll bring me joy when she's finally on my finger!

Thank you, @ceg :)) I have a bit of a floral thing happening at the moment. My next ring is even more floral in design. I've always loved flowers; they're my favorite gift above all things, and I have a lovely garden also, which I enjoy very much. So it's no surprise that floral-inspired jewelry is my thing. Massachusetts doesn't really lend itself to gardening, and every spring it costs me a lot of money to replace all the things that died during the winter. But I persevere, because there's nothing more gratifying than coming home to a beautiful garden.

Reactions: AV_

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, welcome to the yellow side! Beautiful daffodil! :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as always Mrs B, I love it and love all of your its! happy birthday and your husband is a very very nice man. :) :love::love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doffodilly is perfect! That beautiful yellow sapphire blends seamlessly with the 24k gold and those side diamonds really make it pop! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I can’t wait to see your hand shots.

Question on the shank. It looks like it tapers a bit from the top to the bottom. Would you mind sharing how wide it is at the top compared to the bottom? I’m working on a three stone with a lab emerald from Gene and I really like the way your band looks. :mrgreen2:

Ps... I love your trademark holly. It’s so perfectly you.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That yellow is like radiant sunshine, and I just love the sentiment behind it! And I adore the addition of the holly. I can't wait to see her on your hand!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful @Mrs_B! I love three stones and yours is like springtime! I love the color of the sapphire! I hope you’ll post photos!
Do you mind me asking how you determined the size of your sapphire? I would like to get a colored gem tbd and place it in the setting that I have my engagement ring diamond in now with the tapered baguettes. I paid a fortune for that setting last year..which is upsetting because I know David would have been way less...Anyway..I want to reset my diamond into a six prong setting and plop the new gem into the setting I had made so it’s not wasted. How do I order a gem from Jeff White when my ring was custom to fit my ring...How much leeway do you have to make sure it will fit? Would I send the empty setting for him to measure before having a stone cut? Sorry to threadjack but I knew you would see it here!:P2 Thank you!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Queenie60 :)) It really is a pretty ring, isn't it? There's something about yellow.... :kiss2:

@Winterinaustralia - Christmas is my favorite time of year also - hot weather, long sunny days... Where in Australia are you? I come from Sydney. And I'm glad you like Daffodilly! We've just come into spring, here in the US, so the name seems apropos for a ring like this. :))

@Lol, @Catmom! I was looking at your beautiful yellow diamond yesterday - now *that's* the benchmark for yellow!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Tekate - yes, he is a LOVELY man. :)) It's no surprise to me that, for someone as nice as he is, such a sunny color is his favorite. It matches his disposition perfectly. When we're young, I think a lot of us like the whole bad boy / moody thing. As we get older, tho, we learn that it's waaaaaaay easier to live with someone with a generally happy disposition! To that end (and many others!), I feel very lucky; he is a truly wonderful person. :kiss2:

Hi @elle_71125 :wavey: I believe it's 3mm at the back and 1.5mm at the front. I find that those really thin bands rotate too much, so I like a little more heft to my bands - not chunky at all, just a tad more substantial. And I'm glad you like the holly! :)) I think it pulls the whole thing together, color-wise, and just gives it...a little extra something.

Thank you, @Dandi! I agree - it's a truly RADIANT yellow - not a weak, or washed out kind of color at all. And I am looking forward to seeing it on my hand, also!! :mrgreen:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean! I'll try to answer all your questions....

I determined the size of my sapphire in the easiest possible way; I saw it on Jeff's web site, loved it, bought it, then build a ring design around it! I wasn't after a specific size, tho I know that anything which is going to be a center stone on my finger needs to be at least 7mm. I was planning for this either to be in a 3 stone or a halo, so 7mm was a starting point.

But honestly, once I saw this color, I was sold! Jeff has had a couple of extraordinary yellow sapphires over the last couple of years - another one is owned by another PSer - and he's described them both as the best yellow sapphires he's seen int he last couple of years. I suspect they *might* come from the same rough - not sure. Either way, they're both an extraordinary color, so I bought this stone on color, rather than size.

Can you pls post a photo of the ring you want to use for a new gem? I can't recall it. There is a little leeway on some settings, and none on others, which will determine how exact you have to be.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty mrs-b - wear it in health and happiness!

Winterinaustralia

Rough_Rock
Thank you, @Queenie60 :)) It really is a pretty ring, isn't it? There's something about yellow.... :kiss2:

@Winterinaustralia - Christmas is my favorite time of year also - hot weather, long sunny days... Where in Australia are you? I come from Sydney. And I'm glad you like Daffodilly! We've just come into spring, here in the US, so the name seems apropos for a ring like this. :))

@Lol, @Catmom! I was looking at your beautiful yellow diamond yesterday - now *that's* the benchmark for yellow!

Hi Mrs B,
I am in Perth, I am envious of your access to all things sparkling- there are so few really good jewellers here and those that are really charge.
We had our first northern Christmas this year and the weather was a nice change but we did miss all the family; all the same it was wonderful, a whole day in winter pj’s, sure can’t do that in Perth!
Sydney is a lovely place, although I read last night that the flu is double the usual cases at the moment for this time of year, so geographically speaking you’re doing well.
Will you be bringing all your belongs home as well as the jewellery box? In 19 years you must have collected a few things!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your beautiful ring. I love the yellow cheery nature of the piece. :cool2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @MissGotRocks :)) I'm doing fine on the happiness part, tho I'm struggling a little in the health department these days. A lovely new ring can only help, tho!

Thanks, @ccuheartnurse - I love the cheery nature of it, too. As well as being cheery, I think it's quite striking, too. It really appeals to my taste and I think it will be worn regularly.

@whitewave! Do you remember emailing me re the proportions of your 3 stone ring? This is where I ended up. I *think* I'm going to be very happy with it, tho I have as yet to see it on my hand. All up, it should be about 17.5mm across, so I think that's a lovely proportion for my hand. We'll see - and I'll post more photos when I have it. And I hope all is well with you. I've thought about you often over recent weeks, and hope life has settled. ox

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Winterinaustralia -

I have to say, I've grown quite used to the northern US winters. Where did you spend your last Christmas? It's a huge difference to Australia, but I love the lights and the snow and all the wintery traditions. My DH and I lived in England for a few years before we came here, and I LOVED the English winter; not as biting as the US north-east, but a lovely Dickensian that I truly enjoyed.

Yes, we'll definitely be bringing home a large household of stuff, if we decide to come home permanently. Everything we own, household contents-wise, is here, so we'd be traveling with multiple king sized beds, a couple of massive antique dining tables, and all sorts of big and unwieldy things!

We talk often of going home, but I have to say, I'm not convinced where we'll end up. If I had my choice, I'd do 6 months in each country. I am loath to give up either at the point, and the proximity to Europe from Boston is an added seduction. I also LOVE my home in the US, and real estate in Australia is hideously expensive, and there's no way I could duplicate what I have here, with the same proximity to a major city. But, worse than that, I've always said the four things I would miss most, were I to return home, would be high speed cable, internet shopping, being able to buy wide shoes that actually fit me, and self referral to doctors.

To say nothing of way cheaper jewelry. :mrgreen:

Reactions: AV_

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @MissGotRocks :)) I'm doing fine on the happiness part, tho I'm struggling a little in the health department these days. A lovely new ring can only help, tho!

Thanks, @ccuheartnurse - I love the cheery nature of it, too. As well as being cheery, I think it's quite striking, too. It really appeals to my taste and I think it will be worn regularly.

@whitewave! Do you remember emailing me re the proportions of your 3 stone ring? This is where I ended up. I *think* I'm going to be very happy with it, tho I have as yet to see it on my hand. All up, it should be about 17.5mm across, so I think that's a lovely proportion for my hand. We'll see - and I'll post more photos when I have it. And I hope all is well with you. I've thought about you often over recent weeks, and hope life has settled. ox

Oh I totally forgot that! Thanks for reminding me, and I can’t wait to see hand shots!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @whitewave - looking forward to hand shots also!! :mrgreen:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SUCH a beautiful ring @mrs-b!!! Wonderfully crafted and just perfect in every way! :love::love::love:

Winterinaustralia

Rough_Rock
@Winterinaustralia -

I have to say, I've grown quite used to the northern US winters. Where did you spend your last Christmas? It's a huge difference to Australia, but I love the lights and the snow and all the wintery traditions. My DH and I lived in England for a few years before we came here, and I LOVED the English winter; not as biting as the US north-east, but a lovely Dickensian that I truly enjoyed.

Yes, we'll definitely be bringing home a large household of stuff, if we decide to come home permanently. Everything we own, household contents-wise, is here, so we'd be traveling with multiple king sized beds, a couple of massive antique dining tables, and all sorts of big and unwieldy things!

We talk often of going home, but I have to say, I'm not convinced where we'll end up. If I had my choice, I'd do 6 months in each country. I am loath to give up either at the point, and the proximity to Europe from Boston is an added seduction. I also LOVE my home in the US, and real estate in Australia is hideously expensive, and there's no way I could duplicate what I have here, with the same proximity to a major city. But, worse than that, I've always said the four things I would miss most, were I to return home, would be high speed cable, internet shopping, being able to buy wide shoes that actually fit me, and self referral to doctors.

To say nothing of way cheaper jewelry. :mrgreen:

6 months in each country sounds like a dream, it is something similar to what my husband I hope to do eventually.
We had our fist big trip in a long time this Christmas, Perth to Athens, to Rome, to Florence, to Prague, to Berlin, to Germany, to London (for Christmas) and then Stockholm before heading home. It was a trip of lifetime with our two kids, and we are already planning to go back if we can swing it. Perth is so isolated, but I am not sure that I can give up our beaches. In my dreams I live between Perth, South Africa (where my husband was born and we got together, 18 years in April!) then Stockholm and new York (although I haven’t been yet but as an architecture student I’ve heard the stories!)
Phew so sorry for hijacking things, but it so nice to talk travel, something I love possibly more than jewellery (is that too scadelous for PS?)
We shipped our belongings back from Pretoria but as we only had 1/2 a container they delayed it for 10 months while the rest of it was filled, so perhaps shipping more could be better, you will need a 40 foot by the sounds of it! Just don’t pop that jewellery box in!
Boston sounds wonderful. We want to visit for Halloween one of these days before our youngest (nearly 8 years) gets too big for all the excitement. In your opinion does Boston//New York celebrate Halloween as big as we hear? I think I am on sky scanner more than PS lately, must stop it!
Property prices (especially Sydney) are disgusting, but according to news are tumbling down,.but I just couldn’t give up that short (relative) flight between London and new York. You should have seen me in London to my husband...when will we ever make it to new York in under a million hours?... never.. we need to go now..hahaha, Coman sense prevailed! And we never made it.
So sorry for the short novel, will leave you alone now, but I just wish I could spend a week not just in your jewellery box (unbeatable by the way!) but also in your suburb (or there abouts!)
I will smell a eucalyptus leaf for you, but you must marvel at the brownstones for me!
All the best:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results