shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff Davies Amethyst

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I bought the below for a reasonable price so I have tempered expectations. It's potentially for a three stone necklace if I like it. I'll post in hand photos when it arrives but in the meantime I'm curious if others have original and in hand photo comparisons of Jeff's stones? Reading posts I saw only a couple of comparisons and heard a range of experiences.

e9a4ebf18c4754cd79fb61f205213087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I only ordered one stone from him, but it was so different from his photos and videos that I don't plan on trying again. He did issue a refund quickly, but sending it to Thailand was expensive and nerve-wracking. That said, I know others have had much better experience, I hope yours will fall in that category!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought several ammies from them and found them to be fairly true to color. Just know that he does the same thing other vendors do and uses a bright light on the stone. In other lighting situations, the stone will not look as light or quite as saturated as in his photos, but in bright light it should be quite similar unless they've amped up the saturation, which I don't believe they do.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Alene -- I'm sorry to hear about your less than stellar experience. I saw something similar with a color change sapphire or garnet I think -- was that you? The contrast between the pictures was pretty shocking. I know that is a risk which is why I purchased at a price point that I'm comfortable not returning, but hopeful that the stone is at least nice enough for a necklace or maybe a bangle.

Minous -- good to know the purple color has been true to life in at least bright light for you. If I do like the stone, its likely going in a 3 stone necklace I would wear to work which has tons of both natural and overhead lighting so I think it would look nice there.

I picked it because I thought the cut looked good, but I'm still a novice at discerning these things so fingers crossed.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TheElms|1489773065|4141304 said:
Alene -- I'm sorry to hear about your less than stellar experience. I saw something similar with a color change sapphire or garnet I think -- was that you? The contrast between the pictures was pretty shocking. I know that is a risk which is why I purchased at a price point that I'm comfortable not returning, but hopeful that the stone is at least nice enough for a necklace or maybe a bangle.

Minous -- good to know the purple color has been true to life in at least bright light for you. If I do like the stone, its likely going in a 3 stone necklace I would wear to work which has tons of both natural and overhead lighting so I think it would look nice there.

I picked it because I thought the cut looked good, but I'm still a novice at discerning these things so fingers crossed.

Thanks! Mine was a spinel. It was very light violet-blue in the pictures, but I couldn't get anything other than very dark purple out of it even with the best lighting. I'm attaching his and my pictures to show what I mean. Again, I really hope it's not the case with your stone, and judging by minous' experiencing it shouldn't be. I would expect it to be darker than pictured though.

dmj5958b-590x600.jpg

_39182.jpg

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is a huge difference. That sucks.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
wow- that is quite a difference!

I purchased a "rose of france" amy from him. It looked very similar to his photos. very nice cutting and very pretty in person. Not sure I'd call the color "rose de france"- more like a pastel amethyst, but I liked the color and kept it as it wasn't too expensive.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I also purchased a Rose de france amethyst 4.20ct Assher cut from Jeff and it is stunning beyond words. In different lighting it looks a little different hue, tone?? But it is true to what I saw online when I ordered it. You can see the finished ring at the bottom of this thread. All of my family and friends are gushing over this beautiful amethyst.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-jeweler-recommendation.228461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-jeweler-recommendation.228461/[/URL]

All the best with your project.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh I loved your ring when you posted it. :love: Still do! :appl: I missed the fact that the stone was a Jeff Davies. I guess there is a lot of luck in this! Fingers crossed it turns out well I guess.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ElizabethR|1489804292|4141472 said:
I also purchased a Rose de france amethyst 4.20ct Assher cut from Jeff and it is stunning beyond words. In different lighting it looks a little different hue, tone?? But it is true to what I saw online when I ordered it. You can see the finished ring at the bottom of this thread. All of my family and friends are gushing over this beautiful amethyst.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-jeweler-recommendation.228461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-jeweler-recommendation.228461/[/URL]

All the best with your project.

My amethyst could be your twin!! Yes, it is so interesting how it changes in different lighting-sometimes looks more pink, sometimes more lavender and sometimes both together!! I love mine! Did you give your lovely ring to your sister, yet?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really hard to find an "ugly" amethyst as long as it's clean, not overly dark and well cut. Some are flatter in color, and top qualities have some blue and red in them depending on the lighting. If you paid a good price, you'll probably be pleased with this one as it is well cut, clean and has a nice medium tone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you like your stone when it arrives- I don't have pics but I bought an "apple green" peridot from him for a reasonable price and it was very true to the colour in his photos.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope your amethyst is lovely in person. :)

I bought a tsavorite garnet from Jeff about a year ago. It was not as bright and lively in person as the picture and video. It is the only gem I've bought from him. I didn't do my homework and was ignorant to the return issues associated with Thailand. :oops: I still have the gem.

jdavies-tsavorite-6mm.jpg

img_15720.jpg

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Mtsapphirelovingannie -- I can see that your stone looks different than the picture - its definitely missing the neon glow, but your picture is still to my eye a pleasing stone. Did you set it?

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
TheElms, thank you for your kind words. :)

I’ve never set the stone because I was disappointed with the color. I think I paid a lot for the gem given its size (just under 6mm) and lack of neon color. It windows with just the slightest tilt and this was too annoying for a ring on top of the color failure. I've attached a picture to show the window.

For the ring, I ended up setting a yellowish green tourmaline (in the attached picture) cut by Barry Bridgestock. I may use the tsavorite as an accent stone in a large amethyst pendant I have been thinking about doing.

img_15724.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some were better, some the same, some worse. A large tourmaline, was of a beautiful color, better than in video, and set (by Jeff) at a very competitive price. Jeff is good in that the returns are easy. (Or at least were, for recent problems with returns abroad one should blame US post which became ridiculously expensive).

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
mtsapphirelovingannie -- that is a very helpful picture. Its a shame about the window. Hopefully it will close when you set it in the pendant if you go that route.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
My amethyst could be your twin!! Yes, it is so interesting how it changes in different lighting-sometimes looks more pink, sometimes more lavender and sometimes both together!! I love mine! Did you give your lovely ring to your sister, yet?

Yes Pinkjewel, it arrived at her home in Scotland this morning. She said when she opened the david Klass box the ring took her breath away. (It did that to me too.) She absolutely loves it! And better yet, her husband (a bit of a jewel snob) loves it too. Everyone who has seen it can't believe the sparkle and gorgeous color. I am SO happy with how this all turned out.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh I loved your ring when you posted it. :love: Still do! :appl: I missed the fact that the stone was a Jeff Davies. I guess there is a lot of luck in this! Fingers crossed it turns out well I guess.

I hope your stone looks exactly as it does in Jeff's photo because that is a beautiful stone.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I hope your amethyst is lovely in person. :)

I bought a tsavorite garnet from Jeff about a year ago. It was not as bright and lively in person as the picture and video. It is the only gem I've bought from him. I didn't do my homework and was ignorant to the return issues associated with Thailand. :oops: I still have the gem.

jdavies-tsavorite-6mm.jpg

img_15720.jpg

I agree witht the hassle of returning a stone to Thailand. I was sick with worry when I returned an expensive Aquamarine, $500. If the next stone I buy is not what I hoped for I will not be returning it. I'm keeping my budget below $100. I mostly buy at around $75-85 dollars now.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I will definitely let folks know how it turns out. At the moment anticipated delivery is between March 28 and April 11. :wall: The price is below $75 so there isn't too much at risk.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yes Pinkjewel, it arrived at her home in Scotland this morning. She said when she opened the david Klass box the ring took her breath away. (It did that to me too.) She absolutely loves it! And better yet, her husband (a bit of a jewel snob) loves it too. Everyone who has seen it can't believe the sparkle and gorgeous color. I am SO happy with how this all turned out.
So glad to hear she loved it- it turned out so beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results