shape
carat
color
clarity

JcPenney citrine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
I have never bought a gemstone before and I am on the lookout for a citrine. I was in JcPenney today and noticed a huge citrine ring with diamond swirls around it. I know that generally you are suppose to stay away from Mall jewelry stores and department stores but...this piece actually looked like it didn''t belong there. Just for kicks i asked to look at it and wanted to see the price to start my shopping around process and see what the different quality of citrine rings were selling for. She said it was made by a big designer but of course I can''t remember the name. I was actually shocked when she said the regular price was $3999.00. It was in the clearance section for 60% off with an extra 20% on top of that. Which would make it around $1280. I had no plans to spend that much at this time so I thanked her and gave it back. Stupid me didn''t even ask anything about it. It was in a thin yellow gold setting.The citrine was about the size of a dime, maybe a tad smaller. There were quite a few diamonds. They looked eye clean and white. I am not a professional but not an amature either when it comes to diamonds. I would have to say that they were of much better quality than all of the other crap they had there. I can''t stop thinking about this ring? Am I crazy to consider buying something from JCpenney? I have to go down there tommorrow and will ask for all of the specs on the ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The citrine was probably worth $10 (it's really heat treated amethyst), and so you're paying for the gold and diamonds, which after the huge markup and "pretend" sale, it was probably worth retail at $1280. You essentially are paying a fair retail price for the setting. Based on your description of the setting, it sounds about the right retail price. You're not really getting any value there for your money.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 10:50:53 PM
Author:tommalle
I have never bought a gemstone before and I am on the lookout for a citrine. I was in JcPenney today and noticed a huge citrine ring with diamond swirls around it. I know that generally you are suppose to stay away from Mall jewelry stores and department stores but...this piece actually looked like it didn''t belong there. Just for kicks i asked to look at it and wanted to see the price to start my shopping around process and see what the different quality of citrine rings were selling for. She said it was made by a big designer but of course I can''t remember the name. I was actually shocked when she said the regular price was $3999.00. It was in the clearance section for 60% off with an extra 20% on top of that. Which would make it around $1280. I had no plans to spend that much at this time so I thanked her and gave it back. Stupid me didn''t even ask anything about it. It was in a thin yellow gold setting.The citrine was about the size of a dime, maybe a tad smaller. There were quite a few diamonds. They looked eye clean and white. I am not a professional but not an amature either when it comes to diamonds. I would have to say that they were of much better quality than all of the other crap they had there. I can''t stop thinking about this ring? Am I crazy to consider buying something from JCpenney? I have to go down there tommorrow and will ask for all of the specs on the ring.
You were just shocked? I''d probably faint on the spot
9.gif

P. S. If there''s quite a lot of really nice diamonds on it the price is fine, otherwise look somewhere else.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
TL,
You are probably right about the setting. But it made me wonder...Citrine isn''t really all that expensive to begin with is it? Thats what I read anyway. If pretty much all citrine is heat treated then why would this one at JCP be so bad?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 11:50:05 AM
Author: tommalle
TL,
You are probably right about the setting. But it made me wonder...Citrine isn''t really all that expensive to begin with is it? Thats what I read anyway. If pretty much all citrine is heat treated then why would this one at JCP be so bad?
I guess I would buy it for the setting and not the citrine, unless you liked the citrine so much. Personally, I don''t care much for citrines because #1) they''re all practically heat treated to get that color and #2) citrine is too brown/yellow for me, and those are two colors I don''t care for in colored gems (colored diamonds are a diff. story though), although some people might like it and #3) Quartz, the mineral species of citrine, has low refractive properties and doesn''t do much with light. I love fine amethyst though, but I get that more for the color than it''s RI properties, even though it''s also quartz.

A nice alternative to a citrine is a spessartite garnet, while having a similar color in the lighter shades, gives off a good degree of brilliance and light when well cut. It''s more expensive than citrine, but I think it''s worth it in the more mandarin and yellow orange colors.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 12:07:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

A nice alternative to a citrine is a spessartite garnet, while having a similar color in the lighter shades, gives off a good degree of brilliance and light when well cut. It''s more expensive than citrine, but I think it''s worth it in the more mandarin and yellow orange colors.
A spess to be an alternative for citrine?

Shouldn''t it be the other way around?!

Sorry, couldn''t resist
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL

MISTER Ma Re (love your new siggie)

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto - LOL - I was just going to post the same thing!
1.gif

tommalle

Rough_Rock
Well, the ring is no longer an issue. I went there today and it was gone. Somebody must have liked it and thought it was worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results