shape
carat
color
clarity

Jared Jewelers trade in value is it worth it?

Nez02

Rough_Rock
I have just begun searching for an engagement ring. In the process I inherited a ring that is from Jared Jewelers. When I stopped in they offered me the full retail price of the ring towards another one effectively doubling my budget. This set my budget around 10,000. After looking at Jared’s inflated prices I began to wonder if it’s worth using the trade at Jared or if I would be better off selling the ring and buying from an online jeweler such as whiteflash etc.?

Thank you in advance.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
To give you better advice, we would need to know more details about the ring you inherited and the one you are looking to purchase. If you have certification, pictures, etc,. about the ring you are considering to trade in, advice would be more precise.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually the inflated price and then going double is a rip off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not repeat a mistake made by someone else. If you need the money to use toward the ring, then by all means sell it. If you are able to keep it, you can have the stone reset into a pendant for her.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
When I sell my used pieces, I take a loss of at least 50%, so keep that in mind,too.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
The key thing here is quality. You would be very hard pressed to find a diamond cut with the ideal standards that defines Whiteflash's ACA.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
If you can afford it sell the current ring (probably at at least 50% ) loss and modify your budget for on line purchase. Let us know after you sell the first ring what your budget will be size, color , clarity and of course ideal cut and we will help you find a great stone.. If you can AFFORD to keep the original ring I agree with DS make it into a pendant down the line.

Nez02

Rough_Rock
I don't have to sell the ring. And if its a smarter decision to keep it and use to later on as a pendant I could. But the ring was given to me with the intent to be sold or traded towards an engagement ring of my choice. My budget if I kept the ring would be around 6,000. And i'm looking for a round diamond to be set in white gold. Unfortunately I don't have any paper work on the ring I was given. I can see inclusions with my eyes so it seems to be a low quality diamond. I do know they said at the store it was a 1.5ct princess cut. The band is 14k gold with 4 small diamonds and 2 small sapphires. Maybe since they were able to find the ring on their system I could get some paperwork on the diamond. Here are some pictures of it.

ring2_19.jpg
photo_178.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Then you can ask them to price match. That one is just ok, but you can do better.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The jareds price matching policy is curious:

http://www.jared.com/ContentView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10451&cmsId=jared_price_match

They specifically exclude Internet offers but they don't actually say what an 'Internet offer' is. For example, THEIR'S is offered on the Internet. A significant number of the popular Internet sellers are no more or less than a jewelry store located in someone else's neighborhood and that is expanding their market by advertising online (again, just like what Jared is doing here). JA is actually an exception to this in that they don't have a showroom that I'm aware of. There are plenty of others that do. Whiteflash, GoodOldGold and Union come to mind. These are all full blown jewelry stores. There are plenty of others. Talk to Jared about it and see if you can figure out exactly what they mean by this rule. Even if it has to be someone with a local showroom, you can probably find one of THEM who will match a JA price on virtual type items and then have Jared match to them. Don't be disingenuous about it. Find a jeweler who you like who will sell you a ring and will set the stone for you since this offer only applies to loose diamonds anyway. Explain that you are pursuing what amounts to a 50% discount on a matched price from Jared. We're talking about a $10k item so that's quite a bit of coin. It's a slightly weird request but I suspect they'll understand and if you're buying a ring and some services from them it probably won't even annoy them too much.

They're also not very clear about how this price match policy dovetails with their trade-up policy, or even if it does at all. I don't see any listed exceptions but their lawyers would surely be interested in excluding exactly what we're discussing if it's within the rules. Again, I wouldn't lie to them, just ask for an understanding of how THEIR rules work.

Here's the tradeup policy on the Jareds site:

http://www.jared.com/ContentView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10451&cmsId=jared_lifetime_diamond_and_gemstone_guarantee

bfleming

Rough_Rock
Like with Kay jeweler, they do the same thing, offer 100% trade in if you buy something at 2X the price. But when I was looking for a ring for my lady they had literally 1 diamond to choose from and I didn't like the way it looked. Instead I went online (WF in my case) and looked through their ACA diamonds and found one I liked and it was much prettier than the one at the store. Plus, as far as pure specs, it was a much much higher graded diamond. :wavey:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
heididdl|1388515929|3583904 said:
Nez02|1388466030|3583578 said:
I am lost how can it be same sku if one is RB and yours is princess. Also with VVS clarity you wouldnt see the black carbon spot inclusion

I think OP is referring to his 2 new options if he were to pursue the upgrade :?:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another area that's not clear to me is if you can choose an item on jared.com and go make the actual purchase of that at one of their stores. I'm guessing you can, within the limits of where the stone is actually located so there may be some shipping and/or prior sale issues, but it's not expressly discussed.

Nez02

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the confusion. I used that diamond to show that Jared and Jamesallen seem to be selling the same diamonds. And that the price difference was huge. I also am curious if they will price match. They told me in the store as long as I could walk in with a written quote they could verify they would match the price. They also told me anything I saw online on their site they could have in the store for me to see within a few days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results