shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Jewelers thoughts + diamond opinions

makewayhomer

Rough_Rock
I put in a diamond search via the site, and James Allen jewelers quickly got back to me. They have been very quick to respond to questions and seem like a great vendor. is this the general thought on the board? (to anyone as James Allen reading this, please don''t take this personally, it''s just a major purchase so I want to get this right!).

also, this looks to be a great diamond they are recommending:

1.51 F SI2 GIA Ideal cut.

They have told me the only visible inclusion is a feather which can be hidden with a prong, which is totally fine with me. Otherwise visible inclusions are a deal breaker.

other key stats:

Depth: 62.0%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.31*7.39*4.56

price looks fine, low $9k''s
thoughts?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the crown, pavilion angles and the lower half number?

Can you list the GIA report number?

Request an Idealscope image from JA.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 12:28:33 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
What are the crown, pavilion angles and the lower half number?

Can you list the GIA report number?

Request an Idealscope image from JA.
Ditto.

Also ,a rongable inclusion is a very nice SI2, just make sure to check that it is not a durability issue. Most likely not, but best to ask their gemologist to commment.

James Allen is a highly reputable PS vendor who has been around here for many years. You are in good hands. You can aslo do a search above right for JA and James Allen and see lots of feedback.

makewayhomer

Rough_Rock
GIA report 5111849157
crown angle 35.5%
pavilion angle 40.8%
lower half 80%

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iffy from the numbers. Idealscope image will tell if there is leakage or not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have the stone independently appraised. Sometimes feathers near the girdle aren''t durability issues by themselves but the setter will hesitate to put it truly under a prong because the extra pressure-point might be too much of a strain, in which case it would go near a prong - depending on how visible it is this may or may not hide it.

In any case request IS - that combo can work or not, depends on GIA rounding and how tightly the stone is cut.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it looks like there are a few diamonds on JA in that price/color/clarity/size range...maybe request IS for a few of those to compare?

DChokie

Rough_Rock
I got my stone from JA. Totally satisfied with the experience. They worked with me, sent me multiple idealscopes, and offered very competitive prices (including a discount for being a member of these boards). For what it''s worth, they have my endorsement.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
yay Dchokie!

maywayhomer-can''t wait to see what you get!

suzannea

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I also bought from JA_ very happy and great prices..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results