shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen 6 prong knife edge vs. Vatche U113 vs. Tiffany & Co. Classic

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My dream ring has always been the classic solitaire engagement ring from Tiffany & Co., but their prices are unfortunately cost prohibitive. I have read much on PriceScope about the Vatche U113 being the closest alternative, but we are considering a few diamonds (3.02 - 3.20 carats) through James Allen, and their six prong knife edged solitaire would be complementary with purchase. I have seen numerous threads and images featuring the Vatche U113, but not much on the James Allen version. I am looking to find the setting that is closest to the classic from Tiffany's. Is the Vatche so much more similar that it is worth incurring the additional expense and inconvenience? I look forward to your thoughts and pictures! Also, has anyone paired the James Allen 6 prong knife edge solitaire with a diamond eternity band? Any suggestions of one that pairs nicely with this setting? Of course I love the one from Tiffany's but would love a less expensive option. Thank you in advance for your help!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hit report concern and ask the mod to move your thread to RockyTalky where it will get more action.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hit report concern and ask the mod to move your thread to RockyTalky where it will get more action.

Thank you, and done! It looks like they moved it? This is my first post, so hopefully I am doing it right!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a Whiteflash diamond? They source Vatche settings so would be convenient (and they are my favorite source for a round brilliant)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two others that are quite nice are the Excel and BGD. I think the Excel is better than the JA version.

https://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Tiffany-Style-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-951.html

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

I've seen the Excel in person and really like it and my friend says every Tiffany store she goes into thinks it the real deal. I think the Excel and Vatche are on-par with each other. I've not seen the BGD version in person, but others here on PS really like it.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Two others that are quite nice are the Excel and BGD. I think the Excel is better than the JA version.

https://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Tiffany-Style-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-951.html

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

I've seen the Excel in person and really like it and my friend says every Tiffany store she goes into thinks it the real deal. I think the Excel and Vatche are on-par with each other. I've not seen the BGD version in person, but others here on PS really like it.

Oh, the Excel is beautiful!! I would want it in platinum though, I'm sure they could do that? And would you recommend purchasing a diamond through Excel?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a Whiteflash diamond? They source Vatche settings so would be convenient (and they are my favorite source for a round brilliant)

The Whiteflash site has not been as easy for me to navigate and view the actual diamonds, but I did email them to see if they have any options within my desired specs. Do you recommend them? There are so many options, I want to make sure I make the right one!

ichibanichiban

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am going through the exact same dilemma as you! The only pictures available are from the few reviews on the JA site. The diamond I want is from JA, but the setting would preferably be the Vatche U113 in platinum (~$1800). I ended up going with the JA setting as you linked in platinum ($1300).

I did talk to WhiteFlash, and if you wanted you can give them the diamond's certificate ID from JA to see if they can get it. Most of the diamonds aren't actually in any store. If available, they would price match it as well, if it is what they considered a "virtual diamond". Once through them, they'd be able to set it in the Vatche. They did mention that the Vatche settings take an addition 3 weeks to process.

If you can wait a bit I'll have pictures of the JA 6 prong when it arrives. My only concern really is the hallmark engravings - from the example pictures of JA they seem to be really inconsistent with alignment, fonts, placement. I mentioned this to them and it seems they can't guarantee anything - makes me think that the setting and bands are outsourced somewhere?? We'll see...

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium

The BGD version is beautiful too! I have also seen mention of Maytal Hannah's classic 6 prong solitaire (she used to work at Tiffany's!) http://www.maytalhannah.com/folio/round-diamond-solitaire-6-prong-ring/

There are so many lovely options, I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I do want the setting made to perfectly fit the diamond I select, so it seems that the best solution would be to find the diamond and setting all through the same source?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am going through the exact same dilemma as you! The only pictures available are from the few reviews on the JA site. The diamond I want is from JA, but the setting would preferably be the Vatche U113 in platinum (~$1800). I ended up going with the JA setting as you linked in platinum ($1300).

I did talk to WhiteFlash, and if you wanted you can give them the diamond's certificate ID from JA to see if they can get it. Most of the diamonds aren't actually in any store. If available, they would price match it as well, if it is what they considered a "virtual diamond". Once through them, they'd be able to set it in the Vatche. They did mention that the Vatche settings take an addition 3 weeks to process.

If you can wait a bit I'll have pictures of the JA 6 prong when it arrives. My only concern really is the hallmark engravings - from the example pictures of JA they seem to be really inconsistent with alignment, fonts, placement. I mentioned this to them and it seems they can't guarantee anything - makes me think that the setting and bands are outsourced somewhere?? We'll see...

Oh, I cannot wait to see your JA ring!!! I am not in a rush, I like to research things to death before making a large purchase like this. :) That is very good to know about WhiteFlash, thank you! I am leaning towards the Vatche because it appears to be the definitive first choice on PriceScope. It is overwhelming to make such a large purchase online, and this site has been invaluable in providing education. Please keep me posted!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For Whiteflash, the super ideal stones are all in house and they will have high res video and images of all those

If you don’t want super ideal, then it may make sense to source one of the virtual stones through them so you can get the Vatche setting. I have a different Vatche setting and love the quality and feel of the construction

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s a link that discusses the Vache U113 vs. Tiffany vs. the JA. There’s a photo of the Vache vs the Tiffany. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-u113-vs-tiffany-classic-setting.207664/

The PS user HappyNewLife purchased a replica setting from Eternity By Yoni, that she posted many photos of (she posts in that link above).

I’ve seen a *superb* Tiffany replica done by High Performance Diamonds— I think it’s called the New York setting and it looks similar to the U113. There’s video of this setting on YouTube has a 3.20 carat Crafted By Infinity that’s dont know if I’m allowed to post. Search for High Performance Diamonds.

And I’ve also seen a beautiful Tiffany style setting done by ID Jewelry in Manhattan (I can’t recall what they call that particular setting but a sales associate like Joey would know).

By the way, I’ve had several great experiences with James Allen buying diamonds (their inventory, videos, technical recommendations and ease of use are excellent). But I’ve also had great experiences with Yekutiel at IDJ and I’ve heard superb things about Wink and of course Crafted By Infinity branded diamonds.

Honestly, I think it would help you to identify what you want in a diamond FIRST, eg do you want a “value” unbranded H and A, or a super ideal diamond, pick your vendor for that, THEN then think about where to get a beautiful Tiffany style setting.

Good luck with your search!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Whiteflash site has not been as easy for me to navigate and view the actual diamonds, but I did email them to see if they have any options within my desired specs. Do you recommend them? There are so many options, I want to make sure I make the right one!
Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds are both PS recommended vendors. If you post your wants and budget, we can look for you. Finding the diamond and then a setting makes the most sense.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend Whiteflash! I have worked with them on several projects and found WF customer service to be above and beyond! Their own Tiffany style setting, that a few members here have, is very close to the actual Tiffany setting and the price is quite a bit lower than the Vatche U113.
In terms of pairing a eternity band, it would not be the case where an eternity band pairs better or worse with the JA tiff setting vs WF tiff setting vs U113 vs the actual Tiff. They all pair more or less the same. How well they pair depends more on the height of the eternity band. The bigger the eternity band stones, the "higher" the band. The height also depends on the eternity band style, ie basket vs shared prong vs uternity. From my experience with eternity bands, the "lower" the band, the better. When worn together, the eternity band's stone can cut into the solitaire's prongs, causing damage and there may be a gap between the rings.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For Whiteflash, the super ideal stones are all in house and they will have high res video and images of all those

If you don’t want super ideal, then it may make sense to source one of the virtual stones through them so you can get the Vatche setting. I have a different Vatche setting and love the quality and feel of the construction

Thank you so much! I am working with them now!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here’s a link that discusses the Vache U113 vs. Tiffany vs. the JA. There’s a photo of the Vache vs the Tiffany. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-u113-vs-tiffany-classic-setting.207664/

The PS user HappyNewLife purchased a replica setting from Eternity By Yoni, that she posted many photos of (she posts in that link above).

I’ve seen a *superb* Tiffany replica done by High Performance Diamonds— I think it’s called the New York setting and it looks similar to the U113. There’s video of this setting on YouTube has a 3.20 carat Crafted By Infinity that’s dont know if I’m allowed to post. Search for High Performance Diamonds.

And I’ve also seen a beautiful Tiffany style setting done by ID Jewelry in Manhattan (I can’t recall what they call that particular setting but a sales associate like Joey would know).

By the way, I’ve had several great experiences with James Allen buying diamonds (their inventory, videos, technical recommendations and ease of use are excellent). But I’ve also had great experiences with Yekutiel at IDJ and I’ve heard superb things about Wink and of course Crafted By Infinity branded diamonds.

Honestly, I think it would help you to identify what you want in a diamond FIRST, eg do you want a “value” unbranded H and A, or a super ideal diamond, pick your vendor for that, THEN then think about where to get a beautiful Tiffany style setting.

Good luck with your search!

Thank you so much for the links! I am leaning towards the Vatche U113 simply because of the volume of positive reviews from this site. I will also check out the other resources you reference (thank you!) but I am leaning towards JA or WhiteFlash... so far they are wonderful to work with and have helped me select several stones to consider! :)

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend Whiteflash! I have worked with them on several projects and found WF customer service to be above and beyond! Their own Tiffany style setting, that a few members here have, is very close to the actual Tiffany setting and the price is quite a bit lower than the Vatche U113.
In terms of pairing a eternity band, it would not be the case where an eternity band pairs better or worse with the JA tiff setting vs WF tiff setting vs U113 vs the actual Tiff. They all pair more or less the same. How well they pair depends more on the height of the eternity band. The bigger the eternity band stones, the "higher" the band. The height also depends on the eternity band style, ie basket vs shared prong vs uternity. From my experience with eternity bands, the "lower" the band, the better. When worn together, the eternity band's stone can cut into the solitaire's prongs, causing damage and there may be a gap between the rings.

Everyone seems to love Whiteflash, which is wonderful because they have the Vatche setting I want! :) I am actually working with them now and am very pleased with their selection and customer service.

Also, thank you for the information on the eternity bands. I read something about a "donut" and wasn't sure if this would cause the rings to not be flush? There is a 3 mm eternity band at Tiffany's that is the perfect size. I am going to try to find something I love as much, but we might end up splurging on the Tiffany's!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my old thread on my WF reproduction setting, which is very similar to the Vatche you are interested in:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/

My setting did have a donut but I had a notched spacer which helped my rings to be flush. Good luck to you!:wavey:

I copied her setting and have to say it is GORGEOUS! Tiffany's band is thicker though, like the U113. But WF can do custom widths with their knife-edge setting and it will be cheaper and faster than the U113.

Lore

Rough_Rock
This is my old thread on my WF reproduction setting, which is very similar to the Vatche you are interested in:

My setting did have a donut but I had a notched spacer which helped my rings to be flush. Good luck to you!:wavey:

I also went with this custom design from m-2-b and we are thrilled with how this turned out. In short, we asked for the following modifications:
- smooth out knife edge
- make prongs claw-like
- set it at medium height
- 90/10 platinum/iridium mix

We also just bought the Charis Pave half-eternity ring from Whiteflash which is low enough that the ring doesn't hit the prongs when worn without a spacer. We had tried other half-eternity rings (like the Diamonds for an Eternity ring on WF or the Tiffany Embrace) but they were way too high. Here's a picture with the Charis Pave which only has a 1.6mm height.

IMG_9417.jpg

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everyone seems to love Whiteflash, which is wonderful because they have the Vatche setting I want! :) I am actually working with them now and am very pleased with their selection and customer service.

Also, thank you for the information on the eternity bands. I read something about a "donut" and wasn't sure if this would cause the rings to not be flush? There is a 3 mm eternity band at Tiffany's that is the perfect size. I am going to try to find something I love as much, but we might end up splurging on the Tiffany's!
I think the donut refers to the ‘circle’ on the setting beneath the stone. The Tiffany setting has it, as does the U113 and WF setting. The eternity band may rest against the donut or against a prong, depending on the height. The 3mm Tiffany band is gorgeous! The baskets on the setting are so intricate! Several vendors on PS also makes similar basket setting eternity bands, but I have not seen close up comparison to the Tiffany one. You can give them the Tiffany band specs and ask for quotes and pics. I can’t wait to see your finished wedding set!

Last edited:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium

OK, I am going to look into the WF reproduction setting as another option! You and HappyNewLife have such GORGEOUS rings!!! Do you have a picture with your wedding band and spacer?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the donut refers to the ‘circle’ on the setting beneath the stone. The Tiffany setting has it, as does the U113 and WF setting. The eternity band may rest against the donut or against a prong, depending on the height. The 3mm Tiffany band is gorgeous! The baskets on the setting are so intricate! Several vendors on PS also makes similar basket setting eternity bands, but I have not seen close up comparison to the Tiffany one. You can give them the Tiffany band specs and ask for quotes and pics. I can’t wait to see your finished wedding set!

I am drooling over your ring now! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-23ct-whiteflash-expert-selection.220070/

After looking at your setting along with HappyNewLife, m-2-b, and Lore I am definitely going to consider the WF reproduction. Do you think they could also do the eternity band? I would love to see a picture of your gorgeous ring with wedding band. And are you enjoying the size? One of the stones we are considering is a 3.22 carat, and I worry about it being too large for everyday. I would love to know your experience! My current diamond (this will be an upgrade for our anniversary!) is an antique European cut, 2.7 carats, J color. It is bezel set in an art deco filigree ring with sapphires on each side. No wedding band. (I will be keeping this ring to wear on my right hand.) I have always wanted a slightly larger diamond, and I am torn as to what size would be best... What is interesting is that when I try on solitaires, similar diamonds seem SO much bigger than mine due to the setting! So I am very curious to hear what it is like wearing on a daily basis. Thank you again for all of your help! It is so wonderful to connect with such a supportive community diamond lovers! :)

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also went with this custom design from m-2-b and we are thrilled with how this turned out. In short, we asked for the following modifications:
- smooth out knife edge
- make prongs claw-like
- set it at medium height
- 90/10 platinum/iridium mix

We also just bought the Charis Pave half-eternity ring from Whiteflash which is low enough that the ring doesn't hit the prongs when worn without a spacer. We had tried other half-eternity rings (like the Diamonds for an Eternity ring on WF or the Tiffany Embrace) but they were way too high. Here's a picture with the Charis Pave which only has a 1.6mm height.

IMG_9417.jpg

I love seeing all of these beautiful modified WF settings! I found these pictures of yours, GORGEOUS!!! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/ A big thank you to you all!! I am definitely going to consider this as an alternative to the Vatche U113. :) I will also be considering WF for the eternity band. When you say the Tiffany Embrace is too high, what do you mean? This is the one I have my heart set on, so I would love to hear your thoughts - http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/w...wse&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=287462&trackgridpos=6 I also really want it to sit flush with my engagement ring.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have tons of good advice here. Best of luck! I was going to suggest that if your DREAM ring is the Tiff then if you can, get your wedding band there to go with your solitaire.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worn a delicate pave band next to my old solitaire + spacer which did not sit higher than my other bands. IMG_0071.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love seeing all of these beautiful modified WF settings! I found these pictures of yours, GORGEOUS!!! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/ A big thank you to you all!! I am definitely going to consider this as an alternative to the Vatche U113. :) I will also be considering WF for the eternity band. When you say the Tiffany Embrace is too high, what do you mean? This is the one I have my heart set on, so I would love to hear your thoughts - http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/w...wse&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=287462&trackgridpos=6 I also really want it to sit flush with my engagement ring.

I can't wait to see what you end up with! I think when people are saying the Tiffany Embrace is too high they are meaning that the prongs of the e-ring solitaire will rub against the small diamonds on the Embrace which can damage the girdles of the Embrace diamonds over time. Some people will wear a thin plain spacer to prevent this and others will opt for a diamond band that sits lower.

The Embrace is beautiful though! I'm certain WF could make a very similar band to fit nicely with whatever you choose.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am drooling over your ring now! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-23ct-whiteflash-expert-selection.220070/

After looking at your setting along with HappyNewLife, m-2-b, and Lore I am definitely going to consider the WF reproduction. Do you think they could also do the eternity band? I would love to see a picture of your gorgeous ring with wedding band. And are you enjoying the size? One of the stones we are considering is a 3.22 carat, and I worry about it being too large for everyday. I would love to know your experience! My current diamond (this will be an upgrade for our anniversary!) is an antique European cut, 2.7 carats, J color. It is bezel set in an art deco filigree ring with sapphires on each side. No wedding band. (I will be keeping this ring to wear on my right hand.) I have always wanted a slightly larger diamond, and I am torn as to what size would be best... What is interesting is that when I try on solitaires, similar diamonds seem SO much bigger than mine due to the setting! So I am very curious to hear what it is like wearing on a daily basis. Thank you again for all of your help! It is so wonderful to connect with such a supportive community diamond lovers! :)
The 6-prong solitaire does make a stone look slightly bigger. But 3ct is definitely not too large, to me it is just perfect! If you already have a 2.7, you will get used to the size jump to 3+ VERY quickly! This thread has a pic of the 3.22 with my current eternity band, not from WF. The stones are 19-20pts each. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-j-k-l-diamonds-lets-gather-here.228732/#post-4129024
I don't wear them together everyday, as I find it to be too much weight on one finger. Sounds silly, but I actually get a sore finger if I do. :oops2: That plus the issue if the band being on the high side and cutting into the prongs if there is no spacer. If you want to wear a solitaire daily with a share prong eternity band, my suggested would be to keep it under 2ctw. I had a 1.6ctw eternity band that I highly regret letting go. There are tons of picture of eternity bands in this thread here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-eternity-bands.51825/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results